Bodies

Foxy52

Are you looking for a cheap body??

In reality I expect they shove them in the fridge until someone comes up with the cash to pay the bill and recovers the body.

One assumes they won't keep them forever, what happens then ...

11 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Probably like every other country where they are given to Medical schools as cadavers for training.
Then a paupers’ grave.

I doubt that any Thai medical school will inter the remains of any corpse.  Once a year, in December, the medical school at Chiang Mai University conducts a royal cremation at Wat Latthiwan (Wat Kon Tan) วัดลัฎฐิวัน (วัดขอนตาล) in Mae Rim for all the cadavers (generally around 540 each year) that had been used for study.  Ashes of all bodies are then collectively gathered and ceremoniously dispersed into the Ping River.

5 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

I doubt that any Thai medical school will inter the remains of any corpse.  Once a year, in December, the medical school at Chiang Mai University conducts a royal cremation at Wat Latthiwan (Wat Kon Tan) วัดลัฎฐิวัน (วัดขอนตาล) in Mae Rim for all the cadavers (generally around 540 each year) that had been used for study.  Ashes of all bodies are then collectively gathered and ceremoniously dispersed into the Ping River.

More bloody pollution.     LOL

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

More to the point, what do they do with patients still alive who cannot pay their bill?

Easy one....

They make it known to Thai Immigration who will then decide to implement another new policy.

That being, all tourists and expats will now ensure they have 1m bt accident and health insurance policy in place prior to visa approval.

You see.....that ones already  on the table for next year.

Crossy was pretty much on the mark.  The hospitals will hold the bodies in refrigerated conditions and pressure anyone who asks to have the body released for a "proper ceremony" to pay the bill.  Meanwhile, if the person is a foreigner, the Embassy/Consulate will work with varying degrees of vigilance, depending upon the country and workload at the time, to try to locate next-of-kin, former spouses, friends, etc who might be willing to pay the hospital bill and handle final arrangements.  

Eventually, if no one comes forward to pay the outstanding hospital bill, the body will be claimed by a local Buddhist charity that has a private, dignified ceremony at an undisclosed location and time.  Any friends and family members who try to make inquiries about the time, location of this ceremony and disposition of the remains will be told that if they pay the hospital bill they will be given the details.

Thanks Nancy, that's very helpful. A good friend died here a few weeks ago and his family in the UK say they are going to pay the outstanding bill, in which case the hospital will release the body and I can arrange the cremation etc. I'm just trying to make a contingency plan in case they don't/can't pay.

Seems his family are paying the hospital bill after all. Now they are asking me for the details of a local funeral director to whom to release the body. Are there funeral directors in CM or do the temples handle cremations? I've also been asked to arrange a Christian memorial service, so any suggestions would be most welcome, and a wake, which I can do no problem

For a Christian and respectful cremation contact Dok Kaew Gardens, located in the McKean Rehabilitation Center south of town on the east side of the river.  Holly or Heather will advise you.  Phone: 053-124-430.

Archived