What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

As a hotel manager I'm seeing a never ending stream of, candidly speaking, clowns that handed over their passports to hire a motorbike. They then come to my hotel expecting to check in. The answer is no, all of my staff will say no, and if you demand to see the manager, I will also say no. As we started getting fined by immigration for not recording foreigner's immigration details, the answer is always no. Maybe a fraction of a percent of aforementioned people will read this and think twice before handing over their passport to Somchai's Rentals et al, because you need your passport, and only an idiot hands it over to a motorbike company and then tries to check into a luxury hotel without it. If you come to my hotel and demand to be checked in, I'll ask you "What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company anyway?" and if you booked online I won't authorise a refund. Why should my company lose money because you messed up?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't most people book into a hotel first, then go and rent a bike. Why would people be running around getting a bike before they know where they are sleeping, or at least want to drop luggage before getting a bike.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Wouldn't most people book into a hotel first, then go and rent a bike. Why would people be running around getting a bike before they know where they are sleeping, or at least want to drop luggage before getting a bike.

Exactly, this guy sounds like a real twonk

8 minutes ago, grollies said:

on the back of another topic around passports running now, would you accept a copy if it has all the necessary info?

Yes we'll take a copy as long as the arrival/departure card is there, but grumble about it. It's really best to carry your passport, no matter how inconvenient, the law is what is is, for better or worse. In any case you're still an idiot for handing over your passport.

2 minutes ago, grollies said:

on the back of another topic around passports running now, would you accept a copy if it has all the necessary info?

TM30 also needs arrival card number, other than that all the info would be on a Thai drivers license.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, NilSS said:

Yes we'll take a copy but grumble about it.

Well, then, there you go. Drivers licence that contains passport number and copy of passport that you can cross check.

Happy now?  ????

Plus as the owner/manager of a hotel, why don't you be kind, polite and advise the twonks to go back and give only a copy of their passport to the motorbike rental place. Take back the actual passport and then book in.

This, it would seem, is sound advice for people a little new to Thailand and you get to rent a room. Or is that too much like good customer service twonk boy?

I do understand the motorbike rental company's predicament though.  Why should I rent a 40-80k motorbike to a complete stranger without any guarantee of whether they will return?  Or strip/swipe out motorbike for parts?   You think a 2k deposit is sufficient to offset the risk?  All it takes is one theft/crash to set you back quite a bit.

The latter is a huge reason why some motorbike rental don't like to rent to Thai nationals; only tourists.   Preferably ones whom they have a relationship with or are longer-stay tourists.

5 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Yes we'll take a copy as long as the arrival/departure card is there, but grumble about it. It's really best to carry your passport, no matter how inconvenient and in any case you're still an idiot for handing over your passport. The law is what is is, for better or worse.

Who are you calling an idiot?

I've never hired a motocy and would never hand over my passort to anyone other than immigration.

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Well, then, there you go. Drivers licence that contains passport number and copy of passport that you can cross check.

Happy now? yeh Twonk. ????

Plus as the owner/manager of a hotel, why don't you be kind, polite and advise the twonks to go back and give only a copy of their passport to the motorbike rental place. Take back the actual passport and then book in.

This, it would seem, is sound advice for people a little new to Thailand and you get to rent a room. Or is that too much like good customer service twonk boy?

BASIL......BAAASIL!

3 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I'm not getting drawn into tittle tattle with you, but honestly these types are often so abusive to my staff, particularly the ones that live in Thailand and expect to be checked in with a DL. It's usually me that gets called to deal with them. I feel no shame in showing them the door thanks.

13 minutes ago, grollies said:

Wifey usually checks us in. Don't think I've ever handed over my passport at an hotel.

The hotel is still 'supposed' to notify Immigration of any falangs staying there. But I have like you, had the Mrs do it, and I have used my Thai Driving Licence.

4 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Im thinking hotel management isnt a good choice for this guy, lol. 

1 minute ago, NilSS said:

I'm not getting drawn into tittle tattle with you, but honestly these types are often so abusive to my staff, particularly the ones that live in Thailand and expect to be checked in with a DL. It's usually me that gets called to deal with them. I feel no shame in showing them the door thanks.

Like I said, your business acumen is rubbish.

As a manager, I would ask them to return to the bike shop and get a copy of their passport ( U said that's acceptable but only just) then politely tell them to come back s you would be more than happy to rent them a room.

Your hotel is full and everyone is happy, but like I said, that would mean good customer service on your part and I guess you don't do that, do yeh twonk? ????

Archived