BANGKOK
NilSS

What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

3 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

I have been reading this post for two days and I still have to say you people who are arguing against the hotel manager are still 100% wrong and he is still right.

This is a black-and-white issue. The laws - of Thailand and of your home country - state that you carry your passport. Period. The hotel manager - in accordance with the laws of Thailand - requires that you hand over your  p.p for him to make a copy of the required pages.

Renting a m.c. is a different issue. If you are adamant that you have a right to hand over your p.p. to every m.c. rental agent then you are breaking the law and putting your self at risk of losing your p.p. and of getting hassled -legally - by the Thai police for not carrying your p.p.

It is not the hotel manager's job - or mine - to advise you to check in to your hotel first and then go to the rental shop and then deal with them, with your p.p. in hand and give in to his demand to keep the p.p. thereby overriding the law with his procedures - or to tell him take take a copy or take a walk. That is your responsibility.

You people are acting like a little kid who has put on his shoes first and cannot figure out how to get his pants on over his shoes - and you want to act like some grown-up is supposed to change the rules because you don't want to

learn how to do it right.

If you really need help to figure this out then I will give you some advice: STAY HOME. 

"If you really need help to figure this out then I will give you some advice: STAY HOME."

Not that's a new wrinkle on the ol' go back to your home country mantra

4 hours ago, MuuKondiao said:

I have been reading this post for two days and I still have to say you people who are arguing against the hotel manager are still 100% wrong and he is still right.

This is a black-and-white issue. The laws - of Thailand and of your home country - state that you carry your passport. Period. The hotel manager - in accordance with the laws of Thailand - requires that you hand over your  p.p for him to make a copy of the required pages.

Renting a m.c. is a different issue. If you are adamant that you have a right to hand over your p.p. to every m.c. rental agent then you are breaking the law and putting your self at risk of losing your p.p. and of getting hassled -legally - by the Thai police for not carrying your p.p.

It is not the hotel manager's job - or mine - to advise you to check in to your hotel first and then go to the rental shop and then deal with them, with your p.p. in hand and give in to his demand to keep the p.p. thereby overriding the law with his procedures - or to tell him take take a copy or take a walk. That is your responsibility.

You people are acting like a little kid who has put on his shoes first and cannot figure out how to get his pants on over his shoes - and you want to act like some grown-up is supposed to change the rules because you don't want to

learn how to do it right.

If you really need help to figure this out then I will give you some advice: STAY HOME. 

👍👍

8 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Expired ones are normally cut. 

I have two that are not, and four more than have holes punched in them.

Do you really think that you are smart ? I check in at different hotels weekly and I never show my passport. Driving license enough, and if they are not happy there are so many hotels better than yours !

• Confused 1

On 2/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, NilSS said:

Yes we'll take a copy as long as the arrival/departure card is there, but grumble about it. It's really best to carry your passport, no matter how inconvenient, the law is what is is, for better or worse. In any case you're still an idiot for handing over your passport.

the day when you will be able to teach me what I can do or not has not yet come, keep dreaming.

• Confused 1

On 2/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, grollies said:

Wifey usually checks us in. Don't think I've ever handed over my passport at an hotel.

You obviously have not stayed at the Nana Hotel in Bangkok.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, grollies said:

Who are you calling an idiot?

I've never hired a motocy and would never hand over my passort to anyone other than immigration.

What about drawing funds from a bank, or booking a train ticket? I always have to hand my passport

over so they can record the details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What about drawing funds from a bank, or booking a train ticket? I always have to hand my passport

over so they can record the details.

Sorry, I meant hand over to someone to keep hold of as these motocy companies seem to do.

• Like 1