What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Peterw42 said:

Im thinking hotel management isnt a good choice for this guy, lol. 

I think he makes a very relevant point. He is running a hotel, has to complete reports to immigration and the info on a Thai DL won't suffice.

45 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Driving licence contains the passport number.

Why is that not acceptable, ye twonk ?

Most likely already answered but dl does not have your visa details and tm number which is required by immigration, including entry date , visa type and point of entry

1 minute ago, NilSS said:

We're very successful thanks and my employers find me to be a good fit.

Any international standard hotel in Thailand (read 4+ stars) will ask you for your passport and if you say they don't you're lying.

Sweet Jasus, if I was the owner I would sack your twonk ass!

Letting potential customers walk away, being rude to them, making no attempt to explain what you need in order for them to stay in your employers hotel.

You say your employer thinks that you are a good fit? are you a tight one?

7 minutes ago, NilSS said:

I'm not getting drawn into tittle tattle with you, but honestly these types are often so abusive to my staff, particularly the ones that live in Thailand and expect to be checked in with a DL. It's usually me that gets called to deal with them. I feel no shame in showing them the door thanks.

You are totally correct Mr NilSS, a Thai DL is NOT VALID as ID for checking into an hotel.

It is however, sufficient to board an internal flight.

I think it is just the way you said things that is getting up people's noses.

Be nice, be happy, but DO NOT accept DLs !  

Letting potential customers walk away, being rude to them, making no attempt to explain what you need in order for them to stay in your employers hotel.

Being fined 2000 Baht for each customer that checks in without passport is not a good business model. This is why I'm in this job, and you're not.

3 minutes ago, grollies said:

I think he makes a very relevant point. He is running a hotel, has to complete reports to immigration and the info on a Thai DL won't suffice.

This is true but a little effort on his part to explain to them to go get a copy and all is good in the Kingdom of Twonk.

Just now, wgdanson said:

You are totally correct Mr NilSS, a Thai DL is NOT VALID as ID for checking into an hotel.

It is however, sufficient to board an internal flight.

I think it is just the way you said things that is getting up people's noses.

Be nice, be happy, but DO NOT accept DLs !  

or cash ! You forgot cash. ????

Just now, thequietman said:

Most hotels including mine have it clearly posted  on hotel page on every booking site as well as hotel own page. It clearly stated original passport must be presented at check in and only acceptable ID for foreigners is passport . Confirmation emails again state the same and yet people show up with out a passport claiming they do not need it or did not know or never had a problem and always without fail it’s a bad hotel, not stupid person who fails to read and/ or ignorant of the law.

yes customer walks away and hotel loose 2000-5000 baht , customer checks in and immigration come for visit ,or something happens and it escalates and it  cost hotel 50000 baht .

For those here who criticize the hotel manager from the OP,

below his a reminder of data he must send to immigration.

He can't get them without your passport (or copy of it and all recent stamps and TM.6)

TM.30-Form-2.jpg

https://cochavenlegal.cocthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/TM.30-Form-2.jpg

from https://cochavenlegal.cocthailand.com/timeline/landlord-notification-receipt-tm-30/

1 minute ago, NilSS said:

Being fined for each customer that checks in without passport is not a good business model. This is why I'm in this job, and you're not.

Turning away paying guests probably isnt a great business model either.

Maybe you could call the bike hire shop and get the details over the phone, or would that be to much like customer service.

4 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Being fined 2000 Baht for each customer that checks in without passport is not a good business model. This is why I'm in this job, and you're not.

2000 fine is actually 20 000 for not reporting, plus another 30 or so for make it all go away ????

Nilss, just like you, I am in hotel business and just like you encounter the same idiocy and funny enough more than often it’s expats.

to make it more frustrating, this idiots claim to know how it is , yet have no clue about law or regulations which has been posted thousands of times all over forums, media , radio and tv.

just like you, they get abusive.

what I found works is to tell them to pay 20000 which is a fine hotel may face and will refund it after 90 days if nothing happens .

without a fail you will get a NO. So then you ask them how they expect you to loose 20 000 while not willing to part with a 20000 for 90 days.

always ends arguement there . Of course they then run to computer to write a crap review and of course it was you who were rude.

That's a different and very serious issue. The previous owners, who lost the building to us and still think they own it, are insanely jealous we're making a success of the enterprise. So, you know Thai people. . . That very serious matter is being dealt with by Special Branch now anyway. They're in a lot of trouble.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Wouldn't most people book into a hotel first, then go and rent a bike. Why would people be running around getting a bike before they know where they are sleeping, or at least want to drop luggage before getting a bike.

it's not about 'Booking' the Hotel; but the actual 'Arrival' at the Hotel

so anyhows a few months back; one was standing back watching all these Russians piling out of the ferry, having arrived at the docks of Koh SiChang...

... the very first thing they did was queue up at the Rental counter, which is a ways out there in the dock itself.

There was at least a 300 metre ride before they even got to dry land - and then off they all went, 2 per bike, up thru town, to wherever their Reserved abode was... 

one assumes, by now already no Passport, to match the no shirts on their tattooed backs...

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

Driving licence contains the passport number.

Why is that not acceptable, ye twonk ?

Mine doesn't it has my Thai ID No. and is always excepted at Hotels, OP is on about tourist I guess.  

2 hours ago, NilSS said:

Because it doesn't contain immigration details. Try to tell me my job again. . .

My passport contains no immigration details whatsoever. That is no Visa type, no extension, no entry stamp and no TM6 arrival card.

There are many other foreigners here with the same situation. I guess we won't be staying at your hotel, huh? 

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

My passport contains no immigration details whatsoever. That is no Visa type, no extension, no entry stamp and no TM6 arrival card.

There are many other foreigners here with the same situation. I guess we won't be staying at your hotel, huh? 

How would you be in Thailand without an entry/stay until stamp, or an Arrival card ?

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Wouldn't most people book into a hotel first, then go and rent a bike. Why would people be running around getting a bike before they know where they are sleeping, or at least want to drop luggage before getting a bike.

Because it's their first time to Thailand and their not too intelligent friend who just came back from LOS advised them 'the main thing you need on your holiday is wheels, you need a motorcycle', so get off the bus, van whatever and first up get some wheels and drive yourself to your hotel.  Really cool, especially for millennials who are totally sure they know how to do everything and don't listen to anybody even a couple of years older...

23 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

How would you be in Thailand without an entry/stay until stamp, or an Arrival card ?

Permanent Residents can register to use the Auto-Channel electronic gates so no stamps on either departure or entry. Also no TM6 departure card filled out or retained.

Few hotel receptionists would understand that and I can't be bothered explaining it so I never present my passport to a hotel in Thailand. I am never refused a room either.

Archived