What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

3 hours ago, NilSS said:

This is why I'm in this job, and you're not.

This argument is saved for 'Thats why I'm CEO and you're not'... it doesn't have the same impact in winning a dispute when you are a hotel busboy... 

It could be that you are in your job because you didn't work hard enough at school....  :whistling:

------------

I'd like to know what hotel this is.... 

His [NiLiss'] point is valid.. you need a passport and for good reason (immigration)... but the manner in which he deliver's his message is not one conducive to 'customer service'...

I wonder how he handles any other 'customer related' issues which may crop up and irritate him.. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, thedemon said:

My passport contains no immigration details whatsoever. That is no Visa type, no extension, no entry stamp and no TM6 arrival card.

There are many other foreigners here with the same situation. I guess we won't be staying at your hotel, huh? 

If you passport does not contain any of the date, then you are here illegally .  phone call to tourist police will have you arrested and hotel paid 10 000 reward for handing over an illegal 

Haven't read every post but :

10 years ago went to Chiang Mai Iwith my wife and wanted to hire a car. Nine out of ten places demanded our passports as security. I pointed out this was illegal. Every place pulled open an unlocked and unguarded drawer full of foreign passports saying....no big deal...everybody else does.

Eventually found a place that was willing to take a photocopy.

Couldn't understand why so many tourists were happy to hand over their hard to replace ID. This isn't the Costa del Sol ?

26 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Permanent Residents can register to use the Auto-Channel electronic gates so no stamps on either departure or entry. Also no TM6 departure card filled out or retained.

Few hotel receptionists would understand that and I can't be bothered explaining it so I never present my passport to a hotel in Thailand. I am never refused a room either.

All true, try to explain it to hotel staff, (also many bank staff), and they have no idea what your talking about, and most have never heard of "PR", and why would they.

Only a couple of times it's been a problem, but if needed I show my PR book, now they're faced with a new world and registration quickly proceeds.

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

If you passport does not contain any of the date, then you are here illegally .  phone call to tourist police will have you arrested and hotel paid 10 000 reward for handing over an illegal 

You must be a tough guy. A stupid tough guy but tough nevertheless.

2 minutes ago, thedemon said:

You must be a tough guy. A stupid tough guy but tough nevertheless.

I am a tough guy, and what exactly is your point?

Is it your smart way of saying that you would not be arrested if you did not produce PR book?

Or just trolling for the sake of it?

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

Here you go again. You don't need to be a Thai citizen to have a 13 digit Thai ID number instead of a passport number on a driving licence.

Well, hate to break it to you, but having 13 digit Thai number on a pink card does not make you less of a foreigner nor does wipe out the requirement to register you with immigration.

Keep on trolling, entertaining.

1 minute ago, BestB said:

I am a tough guy, and what exactly is your point?

Is it your smart way of saying that you would not be arrested if you did not produce PR book?

Or just trolling for the sake of it?

PR Book? Why would I produce a PR Book? No one carries that around nor are they required to.

Face it. You don't know what you're talking about. I would advise you to read more and post less.

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

PR Book? Why would I produce a PR Book? No one carries that around nor are they required to.

Face it. You don't know what you're talking about. I would advise you to read more and post less.

Again BS, if you are pulled over by the police and your passport does not have any stamps or visas you would be detained at the very least.

Keep on posting utter bs????

Just now, BestB said:

Again BS, if you are pulled over by the police and your passport does not have any stamps or visas you would be detained at the very least.

Keep on posting utter bs????

Again Back on Subject, if you are pulled over by the police and your body on bike does not have any passport (with the Renter) you would be detained at the very least

1 minute ago, tifino said:

Again Back on Subject, if you are pulled over by the police and your body on bike does not have any passport (with the Renter) you would be detained at the very least

I do not think road check police care about passport. Immigration and Tourist police are the ones hunting foreigners. Saying that plenty of reports of police stopping people on the streets of BKK and asking to see passport and if failed to produce for whatever reason get detained or extorted.

I am also certain, from memory about 2-3 years ago, they made it illegal for rental places to take passport, like highly illegal with large fines for any shop doing it

4 hours ago, NilSS said:

We're at 80 percent plus occupancy, almost 200 rooms, on a nightly basis. We're very successful thanks and my employers find me to be a good fit.

Any international standard hotel in Thailand (read 4+ stars) will ask you for your passport and if you say they don't, you're lying.

Of course mate.

As a matter of fact, you're a smashing person.

????

33 minutes ago, BestB said:

Well, hate to break it to you, but having 13 digit Thai number on a pink card does not make you less of a foreigner nor does wipe out the requirement to register you with immigration.

Having permanent residency actually does wipe out the requirement to register him with immigration, because this is only required for aliens who stay in Thailand temporary.

I really scratch my head why this keeps coming up on these forums. Admittedly, aspects of the law are obfuscated at best, but they're there. About carrying your passport, whatever, interpret that as you will, but I'm paid to be here and paid to know the job. I don't need to be the CEO to know I'm right, and anyway, we're a national company and I'm sent to our properties around the country to do this that and the other, immigration reporting is nearly always on the agenda. Clearly I couldn't care less if you think I have a work permit or not, it's for the reader to take on board fact and do what they want with it. Immigration probably aren't interested in bothering the Leelawadee guest house, so stay there if you like to use your DL, but they ARE getting tough on hotels like ours..... The law is clear and immigration have figured out they can use hotels to do their policing. Any non-Thai guest needs to produce their immigration status and we have to report it. Immigration even provide us with a 'convenient' online portal to do it.

Take it or leave it. You won't be checking in here without the aforementioned, and you'll be finding less and less places that are 'flexible' moving forward. Up to you if you get it or not. I am indeed nasty with belligerent customers with no passport. I really do take pleasure in phuking up their day.

4 hours ago, NilSS said:

We're at 80 percent plus occupancy, almost 200 rooms, on a nightly basis. We're very successful thanks and my employers find me to be a good fit.

Any international standard hotel in Thailand (read 4+ stars) will ask you for your passport and if you say they don't, you're lying.

this is spot on, I have stayed at some nice 3 star hotels where my wife did the check in by herself, also stayed at some where my drivers licence was enough, had one that wanted my passport but all I had was a copy and they very reluctantly accepted it but at a few of the top 4 to 5 star hotels we stay in regularly they insist on a passport only, no licence and no copy. Over the last couple of years this has become more common, besides passports are not supposed to be given to a rental shop especially here in Thailand or have people forgotten the fake passports being produced here and records showing they were originally from rental shops, this was only a few years back. It is supposed to be against the law for them to keep them as they are supposed to be on the tourist at all times by law as well. 

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Having permanent residency actually does wipe out the requirement to register him with immigration, because this is only required for aliens who stay in Thailand temporary.

No it does not. check again, perm residency only gives you the right to remain permanently, without having to renew or obtain visa. It  does not make you less of a foreigner residing in Thailand

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

No it does not. check again, perm residency only gives you the right to remain permanently, without having to renew or obtain visa. It  does not make you less of a foreigner residing in Thailand

You should check it again ????

The housemaster, the owner or the possessor of the residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours, dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office located in that area, the local police official for that area must be notified.

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/thai-immigration-act-temporary-stay-in-the-kingdom-sections-34-39/

4 minutes ago, seajae said:

this is spot on, I have stayed at some nice 3 star hotels where my wife did the check in by herself, also stayed at some where my drivers licence was enough, had one that wanted my passport but all I had was a copy and they very reluctantly accepted it but at a few of the top 4 to 5 star hotels we stay in regularly they insist on a passport only, no licence and no copy. Over the last couple of years this has become more common, besides passports are not supposed to be given to a rental shop especially here in Thailand or have people forgotten the fake passports being produced here and records showing they were originally from rental shops, this was only a few years back. It is supposed to be against the law for them to keep them as they are supposed to be on the tourist at all times by law as well. 

Exactly right, only now you may find even 2 star hotels will require to see original passport.

Any hotel or guesthouse that registered with immigration would play by the rules. some small guesthouses may not care.

There are so many variables that may trigger immigration visit. If a guest decided to get an extension of stay even on a 30 day stamp, they put down their address in immigration and immigration sees not only you never reported the guest but not even registered, you in for a big surprise.

Their databases getting better and better and cross checks now take few mins.

The OP sounds a bit distressed. Maybe immigration has the spotlight on him or his business.
I always check in with a neat copy of my passport. Then they usually ask if they can keep the copy. I reply politely: if your copy machine is broken you can, off they go and make a copy of my copy.
Of course I do have my passport with me as well.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

where does it support your previous point that perm residency does not require registering with immigration? or where did i say temp stay did not require it?

I am confused

The law says the hotel has to report an alien (TM30) who received permission to stay in Thailand temporary.

There is now law which says a hotel has to report an alien who has permanent residency in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, siamcrut said:

Maybe immigration has the spotlight on him or his business.

We were indeed fined a few years ago, and substantially. I've yet to find a gobby Thai DL holder that can explain to me why our hotel should subsidise his/her decision to travel without a passport. Why I'm posting this topic, maybe a few of them will read it and wake up, because they all seem to wind up in my front of house to exorcise their attitude. After having it explained to them, and them rejecting the explanation, the conversation usually goes south from there.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The law says the hotel has to report an alien (TM30) who received permission to stay in Thailand temporary.

There is now law which says a hotel has to report an alien who has permanent residency in Thailand.

So in other words you are guessing.

So let me tell you as a hotel owner, every single foreigner staying in a hotel must be reported to immigration.Foreigner status is irrelevant, the only relevant factor is that its a foreigner

Directives received direct from Immigration.

PS, whats more, the electronic form has perm residency as an option when ticking the status or visa type

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Permanent residency in Thailand , for aliens ? ,, really .

Archived