What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

1 minute ago, BestB said:

So in other words you are guessing.

So let me tell you as a hotel owner, every single foreigner staying in a hotel must be reported to immigration.Foreigner status is irrelevant, the only relevant factor is that its a foreigner

Directives received direct from Immigration.

No, i'm not guessing, i just told you what the written law says, and even quoted it, you should read it again.

If this is what immigration told you they gave you wrong information, or they just make up their own rules.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jackdd said:

No, i'm not guessing, i just told you what the written law says, and even quoted it, you should read it again.

If this is what immigration told you they gave you wrong information, or they just make up their own rules.

You did not tell me anything, you are guessing because if it does not say perm resident then you assuming, better yet guessing that it not included. and i just told you status is irrelevant

When this law was written there were hardly any people holding PR as getting PR use to take 10-15 years and requirements which were very hard to meet, unless married and employed, in which case anyone with half a brain could skip PR and go direct for citizenship

5 hours ago, NilSS said:

If you come to my hotel and demand to be checked in, I'll ask you "What sort of an idiot hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company anyway?" and if you booked online I won't authorise a refund. Why should my company lose money because you twonked out? Clowns.

I think i have met you

BASIL!!!! in action

Oh by the way i was a hotel manager well

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

if it does not say perm resident then you assuming

It does not say "perm resident", but it does say specifically "permission to stay temporary", which makes it clear that this law only applies to people who have "permission to stay temporary" (not permanent residents), even if you seem to have problems understanding it.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

My passport contains no immigration details whatsoever. //

Hum... And airlines accept you at boarding with an "empty passport" ?

And I doubt they are able to understand the Thai Certificate of (permanent) Residence if you also have it.

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It does not say "perm resident", but it does say specifically "permission to stay temporary", which makes it clear that this law only applies to people who have "permission to stay temporary" (not permanent residents), even if you seem to have problems understanding it.

again, you assuming because it does not say then its not included, and again i am telling you it is, otherwise immigration would not have PR as an option when making the report.

5 hours ago, grollies said:

Who are you calling an idiot?

I've never hired a motocy and would never hand over my passort to anyone other than immigration.

I think the OP considers everybody an idiot and a twonk besides himself (or herself).

This hotel would be a great place for a trash party by a bunch of drunken expats.

Know any ?

I think the OP is being a bit too harsh. First time I came to Thailand, I was very young and probably hadn't read up much on the country. I'm pretty sure I used my passport when renting a motorbike, but always checked-in to the hotel first. Doing it the other way round seems odd because they would have their luggage with them?

Maybe when confirming the booking (if they made an advance booking, that it), just one sentence at the end of the email to say that passports will be required on check-in, so no passport, no check-in?

The OP seems very intolerant and unhelpful, I wouldn't want to stay there anyway.

10 hours ago, NilSS said:

I'm not getting drawn into tittle tattle with you, but honestly these types are often so abusive to my staff, particularly the ones that live in Thailand and expect to be checked in with a DL. It's usually me that gets called to deal with them. I feel no shame in showing them the door thanks.

In hundreds of stays in dozens of hotels in Thailand over 7 years of living and working there, I never had one that declined to check me in with a Thai DL. 

11 hours ago, thedemon said:

Permanent Residents can register to use the Auto-Channel electronic gates so no stamps on either departure or entry. Also no TM6 departure card filled out or retained.

Few hotel receptionists would understand that and I can't be bothered explaining it so I never present my passport to a hotel in Thailand. I am never refused a room either.

How does that system work for the re-entry permit ? Is that not stamped into your passport ? How do the electronic gates read the re-entry permit ?

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Are you Thai national?

???? The English family crest to left gives it away.

In our province the DLT dept puts your given Thai ID number from the yellow house book on your driving license instead of passport number.

I always carry a copy of my passport also a passport copy on my phone but have never needed it up to now, presenting my Thai DL at hotels is always sufficient.  

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

For those here who criticize the hotel manager from the OP,

below his a reminder of data he must send to immigration.

He can't get them without your passport (or copy of it and all recent stamps and TM.6)

TM.30-Form-2.jpg

https://cochavenlegal.cocthailand.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/TM.30-Form-2.jpg

from https://cochavenlegal.cocthailand.com/timeline/landlord-notification-receipt-tm-30/

That is the document that the hotel in which I frequently stay is kind enough to print for me to take to Immigration when I wish to extend my SETV. Immigration happily accept that in place of a TM 30 so it saves them and me time and effort. The hotel had previously copied the details from my PP and TM onto their system to be sent to Immigration.

To respond to  @NilSS the OP directly...... I think you are 100% correct:

ANYONE stupid enough to give their original PP (possibly the most valuable document you have when abroad) to any non-government official in ANY foreign country (not just Thailand) is not only a twonk but a very stupid one and probably doesn't deserve either sympathy or respect! If your business is running well without them, you really don't need them stressing you out!

On 2/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, thequietman said:

Driving licence contains the passport number.

Why is that not acceptable, ye twonk ?

What sort of a being ..refers to another as a "twonk"....I would rather be what he considers a "twonk" ...than an ill-mannered brat of a hotel staff member with an exarragted idea of his own importance.

I cannot believe anyone is arguing against the fact that if you hand your passport over to a motorbike hire company you are "twonk" (I prefer <deleted>, but I am Australian) or a jetski hire company or a car rental company or let your hotel keep it. I don't live in Thailand full time but I have never checked into a decent hotel and not had to produce my passport. I  never leave my passport with anyone except my wife or in a hotel safe.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, NilSS said:

Beats me, but we're way out of town, so I think they fly in, rent a bike or a car, and then come to us, not difficult to understand. We're on a popular motorcycling route.

I think you're full of ****.

What idiot would ride a motorcycle in Thailand anyway?

I bet you are a gardener at the mentioned hotel.

My UK passport says "This passport remains the property of Her Majesty's Government...........it should not be tampered with or passed to an unauthorised person".

Whilst I can understand that any vehicle rental company take a risk when handing over a car or motorcycle, legitimate rental companies would factor this risk into their business model and probably insure that risk. I certainly wouldn't want to risk passing over my passport to any unauthorised person, not have I ever been asked to do so by a motorcycle or car rental company. 

Hotels, under Thai Law, are required to pass on immigration details to the authorities, most of which can only be obtained from a passport, I've been asked for sight of my passport everytime I've stayed in a hotel here in Thailand, or indeed most countries in the world.

Some people may not like the OP's approach to his business model, even though he's right to abide by Thai laws and to stick up for his staff who are doing likewise, but I think he's taking a highly profesional approach.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, NilSS said:

Because it doesn't contain immigration details. Try to tell me my job again. . .

In the immigration online registration system only a name, birthdate, sex and passport number are mandatory. Registration will go through without the arrival card, visa type and additional details. 

So what are immigration details in your opinion?

I agree, you would have to be a complete twonker to give your passport to a dodgy rental company of any sort. Judging by the vitriol directed at the OP, who has a very good argument in my book, there seems to be a lot of twonks on this forum.

When renting, most look for the best price, not the most reputable firm. I wouldn't think of giving my passport up to anyone, even the hotel. They can record the details they need, or take a photocopy, but must then return it.

I remember cases where passports held by these dodgy renters have been claimed to be lost, and subsequently turned up in the hands of middle eastern refugee claimants seeking to enter Europe. 

( Twonks - from the failed state of Twonkamania. An ethnic group now  scattered throughout all countries. TAT figures indicate 2.73 million visitors of this ethnicity entered Thailand in 2017. They can be found everywhere, and are easily identified by behavior)

I have been asked for my passport on a few occasions when booking into hotels, doing banking and other such things. I always hand over my Pink ID card, and never once has it been refused. I can see your problem with tourists, but I would suggest you pull the horns in and try to be polite. Ranting about the problem on this forum will only attract abuse, and it serves you right.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, thequietman said:

Driving licence contains the passport number.

Why is that not acceptable, ye twonk ?

Your driving licence lasts for 5 years.  There's a 50/50 chance you will renew your passport during that time in which case it will not agree with your driving licence!!

On 2/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, Peterw42 said:

Wouldn't most people book into a hotel first, then go and rent a bike. Why would people be running around getting a bike before they know where they are sleeping, or at least want to drop luggage before getting a bike.

Never Leave your Passport just show and take it back and or give them a Copy 

Archived