What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Your driving licence lasts for 5 years.  There's a 50/50 chance you will renew your passport during that time in which case it will not agree with your driving licence!!

It's my case both my driving licence car and motorbike numbers do not correspond anymore with my passport number. I went to the driving licence office in Samui 24hours after receiving my new passport, expecting to change for new ones, they said NO not change.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:30 PM, thedemon said:

Permanent Residents can register to use the Auto-Channel electronic gates so no stamps on either departure or entry. Also no TM6 departure card filled out or retained.

Few hotel receptionists would understand that and I can't be bothered explaining it so I never present my passport to a hotel in Thailand. I am never refused a room either.

So how do you get around the need for a Re-entry Permit ?

On 2/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, BestB said:
On 2/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, tifino said:

I do not think road check police care about passport.

Have to respectfully disagree there.

A bus I was in passed through a checkpoint in Rio Et the other week. I was the only Falang on the bus and the police came in and demanded to see my passport, examined my visa very noisily for 15 minutes before allowing me on my way - felt like I’d been gang-banged!

Last week driving to and from Koh Chang was checked twice by army and twice by police, always checking the visa dates.

Then again, maybe I’ve just got a dodgy looking face ☹️

What a thoroughly offensive creature the OP is. It baffles how someone with his malodorous arrogance can work in the hospitality industry. I hope I run into him one day so that I can have the extreme pleasure of "outing" him and his hotel on this board (or at least an overseas one). Each and every one of us, including the chosen one I'm sure, has fallen victim to a scam of one sort or another. We simply lacked hindsight, which is all that the OP has in this case, to prevent it. He should be a bit more generous. 

I think he should name his hotel. Everyone agree?

I have to confess that in the OP’s eyes I too am a twonk, first class.

Although I always use my passport to book in (sorry, arrive) at a hotel before renting a bike, I am always, without fail, asked by the rental company to hand over my passport until the bike is returned.

Next time I shall keep looking until I find a rental company who accept a copy, as I have learnt the importance of carrying my passport at all times.

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

I do not see the necessity of being so rude to these people as you are, for a hotel manager it does not reflect too much a gentleman behaviour:coffee1:

I hope you'll agree that even a gentleman could find sometimes difficult not to be rude.

A hotel manager should be polite all the time, but he's not a machine, he's a man.

I never rent a motorcycle from a place that requires my original passport. First of all, I do not travel with my passport, unless I am leaving or entering the country. Second, I do not want to risk losing it, with my one year visa. Not going to happen. So, the first question I ask them, after inspecting the bikes, and making sure they have excellent tires and brakes, is do you require an original passport. I am willing to provide a color copy, and a smallish deposit, if that is required, and my hotel info, and even a copy of my Thai motorbike license. Nothing more than that. Plenty of shops are willing to go along with that.

29 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

Have to respectfully disagree there.

A bus I was in passed through a checkpoint in Rio Et the other week. I was the only Falang on the bus and the police came in and demanded to see my passport, examined my visa very noisily for 15 minutes before allowing me on my way - felt like I’d been gang-banged!

Last week driving to and from Koh Chang was checked twice by army and twice by police, always checking the visa dates.

Then again, maybe I’ve just got a dodgy looking face ☹️

Great interpretation of events and choice of words !!, I do like the sound of Rio also, sounds rather exotic...

On the road in the Kingdom, passport real handy, driving around on rented machine, I keep a copy only.

Offer a bond/deposit and copy of, in lieu of any passport security request, has always worked for me so far..

Dodgy looking face: nothing wrong with that, plenty of work as a film extra..........

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I hope you'll agree that even a gentleman could find sometimes difficult not to be rude.

A hotel manager should be polite all the time, but he's not a machine, he's a man.

I agree 100% with you and will add even though I have two Thai driving licence I always show my passport in hotels, first because as a foreigner it is what is logically asked by any hotel employee to a foreigner in most countries of the world. If anyone goes to a hotel, tourist or expat alike this person is supposed to have his passport when travelling in the country, not a copy. 

To answer to  "but he's not a machine, he's a man". Again I 100% agreed with you, I will go farther, nobody's perfect all the time. 

But OP wrote:  If you come to my hotel and demand to be checked in, I'll ask you "What sort of an idiot hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company anyway? Which corresponds to openly calling idiot these people probably already a little lost. Sorry Sir no offence to you but only a rude person begins by addressing his customers like that. So yes I agree 100% any gentleman could find sometimes difficult not to be rude, :smile: 

But unless OP explanations were not exact, he did not found it difficult but started the conversation by calling those people idiots.

Next time someone will ask me " What time is it, I will try to answer, what kind of idiot goes outside without his watch :tongue: 

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

What a thoroughly offensive creature the OP is. It baffles how someone with his malodorous arrogance can work in the hospitality industry. I hope I run into him one day so that I can have the extreme pleasure of "outing" him and his hotel on this board (or at least an overseas one). Each and every one of us, including the chosen one I'm sure, has fallen victim to a scam of one sort or another. We simply lacked hindsight, which is all that the OP has in this case, to prevent it. He should be a bit more generous. 

I think he should name his hotel. Everyone agree?

He has already passed enough information for somebody to discover it.

You have plenty of time on your hands.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, grollies said:

So by the same token, a motorcycle or car hire company should accept copies too and we all get to keep our passports?

No way !   They will use the PP as a blackmail tool. If you damage the car they will keep it until you pay up, with a copy you can just walk away. 

15 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

But unless OP explanations were not exact, he did not found it difficult but started the conversation by calling those people idiots.

Next time someone will ask me " What time is it, I will try to answer, what kind of idiot goes outside without his watch :tongue: 

Well, i'd bet that calling somebody "idiot" is not the best way to start a conversation, but if i remember well, the OP was having a go at some long-time visitor, who should know better than to hand over his passport to some unknown motorbike renter.

That's a rather inconsiderate ( or twonkish ) thing to do, and has nothing to do with the hotel's manager duty to register his guests.

In the end, calling those people "twonk" may be rude, but calling them smart would be a lie.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, JWRC said:

I wouldn't visit this hotel, sounds like you are a right nasty twit.

What!   just because he is efficient.  Serve you right when you find yourself in a dirty grotty hotel run by someone who could'nt care less. He is obviously a career manager who knows what has to be done for the comfort of his customers.

2 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Probably just his way of warning people.  He sounds like a good hotel manager so i would'nt mind using his hotel.

Be warned if you ask for more sugar for your morning coffee I hope you'll not be answered "what kind of idiot put so much sugar in his coffee":tongue:

No offence Sir, I know I'm going too far, I know, maybe he is no a bad manager, after all, maybe he was in a bad mood for another reason and vented, not very dexterously, on a subject that could legitimately be a problem for him from time to time. Myself, I may have been too fast in my first judgment of OP? :smile:

On 2/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, grollies said:

So by the same token, a motorcycle or car hire company should accept copies too and we all get to keep our passports?

God, I don't know what is wrong with you people making these silly rebuttals to the man who is stating the law in this country.

You have to have your passport with - you must carry your passport always in Thailand - you are subject to a lot of trouble if a cop asks you for your passport and you don't have it with you........ all else fit in with this law.....

If you are American your U.S. passport is the property of the U.S. government and must be surrendered to an agent of the government on demand......... so you cannot have given up the passport to some twonk - whatever that means - if you need to surrender it to an authorized person. 

There are no "what if's". 

By a different token when the rental company demands your p.p. you don't have to explain the law to him: you tell him to take a walk; then you take a walk - to a rental agency that will accept a copy of your p.p. and a deposit.

Get your priorities straight: housing and legal status come before risking your life riding a m.c. on Thai roads.

Which is a better scene?: to be stopped by the cops for a routine check, whether or not you have been in a collision - and you don't have your p.p. - or to be stopped and you do have your required legal document but you have left a deposit with the rental company - when the amount it will cost you at that point is likely to be higher than the amount you should have left in deposit at the rental office??

I wonder if the people who wrote these inane comments are the same people who walk out onto the roads without looking, pushing bicycles, or riding them as if they were in a park, oblivious of the dangers that they are creating by interfering with the flow of dangerous drivers in bad streets.

DId they leave their brains in the home country?

30 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i'd bet that calling somebody "idiot" is not the best way to start a conversation, but if i remember well, the OP was having a go at some long-time visitor, who should know better than to hand over his passport to some unknown motorbike renter.

That's a rather inconsiderate ( or twonkish ) thing to do, and has nothing to do with the hotel's manager duty to register his guests.

In the end, calling those people "twonk" may be rude, but calling them smart would be a lie.

but calling them smart would be a lie.:cheesy:  A mistake for sure! ...A lie :biggrin: ...

it's not nice to lie... So we are still OK: giving passports to rent a bike is not smart!

Besides what do not know these naive is that it is probably only the bandits who require passports to be able to blackmail for a painting scratched after. :wacko:

41 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

but calling them smart would be a lie.:cheesy:  A mistake for sure! ...A lie :biggrin: ...

it's not nice to lie... So we are still OK: giving passports to rent a bike is not smart!

Besides what do not know these naive is that it is probably only the bandits who require passports to be able to blackmail for a painting scratched after. :wacko:

There was a time, at least on the island where i live, when the motorbike shops did not require passports or copies of passport, then some dishonest tourists had accidents, ditched the bike and fled.. Some apparently even run away with the bike !

But, as you say, leave the passport with them, and you can end at the wrong side of the stick.

The right thing to do is, show them the passport and give them the copy.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, NilSS said:

As a hotel manager I'm seeing a never ending stream of, candidly speaking, clowns .... Why should my company lose money because you twonked out? Clowns.

I suppose the day they taught customer relations at hotel management school the o/p was off sick.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:36 PM, NilSS said:

They do get an explanation. They invariably disagree with it. I won't be disrespected in front of my staff, and I won't allow my excellent, well trained staff to be disrespected either.

Guess you never heard the expression "the customer is always right". You seem to be a little full of yourself. Seems like an easy thing to tell them you require the passport/or copy for check in and advise them to go back to motorcycle rental and get passport or copy. You say if they booked online you keep the deposit for not following your rules. Nice way to lose customers and all their friends who they will advise to go elsewhere for their trips. I have been coming to Thailand for almost 19 years, first time with 1 friend which increased to 15 , 5 married Thai girls and my friends have stayed at or away from hotels/places I have advised them about. I little kindness goes a long way.  Keeping deposit gets you 1 day of rental, letting them know about getting passport back or copy could get you a week or more and goodwill for hotel

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

There was a time, at least on the island where i live, when the motorbike shops did not require passports or copies of passport, then some dishonest tourists had accidents, ditched the bike and fled.. Some apparently even run away with the bike !

But, as you say, leave the passport with them, and you can end at the wrong side of the stick.

The right thing to do is, show them the passport and give them the copy.

I have not rent a bike for six years but of course not every company want to keep the passports, and telling all of the company will try to scam people... would be a lie :wink:

Archived