What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

53 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Guess you never heard the expression "the customer is always right".

Meh, reading through these retarded comments I'm reminded of a time I was on a flight during preparation for take off. A Malaysian woman was busily tapping away on her cellphone sending messages and ignoring the requests from cabin crew to turn off the phone. She was warned again and again and she just ignored them. Eventually a flight attendant snatched the phone from her, switched it off and handed it back. The attendant earned my respect for keeping the cattle under control. In your world this flight attendant was rude and the 'customer is always right'. Let me bust your bubble, the customer is nearly always a needy jerk and most of the time staff are forcing themselves to keep up appearances.

Like airlines, if you show up without the correct visa for your destination, you will be refused boarding, as the airline would have to bear the cost of repatriating you. Large hotels like mine are under immigration's spotlight and we will NOT bear the cost of you traveling without a passport. It's not hard to understand, unless you're you.

Seems like an easy thing to tell them you require the passport/or copy for check in and advise them to go back to motorcycle rental and get passport or copy.

Take this comment for example. You're not reading what I'm saying. You're reading what you want to see. These guests simply don't accept they can't check in without a passport, become belligerent, and are thrown out of the hotel. If they complain they have nowhere to stay, it pleases me that they have to sleep in their car, they only have themselves to blame. This is the real world, not the cosseted world you grew up in. Hotels are private enterprise, not a public service.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MuuKondiao said:

God, I don't know what is wrong with you people making these silly rebuttals 

It wasn't a rebuttal and if you'd read the thread properly you'd see that the OP would indeed accept a passport copy leaving a guest free to keep their passport in their possession.

Further, you'd also see that I support the OP's position on this topic.....doh! Who left their brain and comprehension skills back in their home country?

7 hours ago, Krabi King said:

In the immigration online registration system only a name, birthdate, sex and passport number are mandatory. Registration will go through without the arrival card, visa type and additional details. 

So what are immigration details in your opinion?

BS, it will not go through without all

the info. The only blank one that will go through is middle name. If departure card missing just 1 number out of 5, it will not go through 

3 hours ago, NilSS said:

Meh, reading through these retarded comments I'm reminded of a time I was on a flight during preparation for take off. A Malaysian woman was busily tapping away on her cellphone sending messages and ignoring the requests from cabin crew to turn off the phone. She was warned again and again and she just ignored them. Eventually a flight attendant snatched the phone from her, switched it off and handed it back. The attendant earned my respect for keeping the cattle under control. In your world this flight attendant was rude and the 'customer is always right'. Let me bust your bubble, the customer is nearly always a needy jerk and most of the time staff are forcing themselves to keep up appearances.

Like airlines, if you show up without the correct visa for your destination, you will be refused boarding, as the airline would have to bear the cost of repatriating you. Large hotels like mine are under immigration's spotlight and we will NOT bear the cost of you traveling without a passport. It's not hard to understand, unless you're you.

Take this comment for example. You're not reading what I'm saying. You're reading what you want to see. These guests simply don't accept they can't check in without a passport, become belligerent, and are thrown out of the hotel. If they complain they have nowhere to stay, it pleases me that they have to sleep in their car, they only have themselves to blame. This is the real world, not the cosseted world you grew up in. Hotels are private enterprise, not a public service.

Your statement is they left their passport as collateral for renting the motorcycle therefore they would not have a car to sleep in as you wrote above.

39 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Your statement is they left their passport as collateral for renting the motorcycle therefore they would not have a car to sleep in as you wrote above.

Oh no, please spare us the deductions Sherlock.

Look, the OP is correct on the need for hotels to report farangs staying at their establishment.

Which bit of this dont you understand. Numpties, all of you.

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

He has already passed enough information for somebody to discover it.

You have plenty of time on your hands.

So you suggest I visit every multi-star hotel in the country, demand to see the manager, and ask him if he likes twinks. Errr ... twonks. Wait a second, maybe he REALLY meant twinks. Did any of you twinkers or twonkers posting on here think of that before sounding off? The manager doesn't like TWINKS. He's homophobic, the sod.

(careful -- joking) 

Okay, whats a Twonk, and if it is what I think it is, you must be one of them.........whats the name of your hotel so I am sure not to recommend it??

Edit:  On second thought don't feed the ???? ???? ???? ????  its obvious he just wants to get a rise out of us.........this is a troll post if I ever read one.

21 hours ago, Mukdahanman said:

I have to confess that in the OP’s eyes I too am a twonk, first class.

Although I always use my passport to book in (sorry, arrive) at a hotel before renting a bike, I am always, without fail, asked by the rental company to hand over my passport until the bike is returned.

Next time I shall keep looking until I find a rental company who accept a copy, as I have learnt the importance of carrying my passport at all times.

I always use an expired passport, carry an old one with me every where I go, even gave it to a copper on Soi Cowboy once when he asked for my passport, looked at the picture and said Thank You.............give the rental company an expired passport.

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I always use an expired passport, carry an old one with me every where I go, even gave it to a copper on Soi Cowboy once when he asked for my passport, looked at the picture and said Thank You.............give the rental company an expired passport.

Thanks, I happen to have an old one - I’ll give it a try next time

On 2/9/2019 at 5:26 PM, thequietman said:

Like I said, your business acumen is rubbish.

As a manager, I would ask them to return to the bike shop and get a copy of their passport ( U said that's acceptable but only just) then politely tell them to come back s you would be more than happy to rent them a room.

Your hotel is full and everyone is happy, but like I said, that would mean good customer service on your part and I guess you don't do that, do yeh twonk? ????

I have been reading this post for two days and I still have to say you people who are arguing against the hotel manager are still 100% wrong and he is still right.

This is a black-and-white issue. The laws - of Thailand and of your home country - state that you carry your passport. Period. The hotel manager - in accordance with the laws of Thailand - requires that you hand over your  p.p for him to make a copy of the required pages.

Renting a m.c. is a different issue. If you are adamant that you have a right to hand over your p.p. to every m.c. rental agent then you are breaking the law and putting your self at risk of losing your p.p. and of getting hassled -legally - by the Thai police for not carrying your p.p.

It is not the hotel manager's job - or mine - to advise you to check in to your hotel first and then go to the rental shop and then deal with them, with your p.p. in hand and give in to his demand to keep the p.p. thereby overriding the law with his procedures - or to tell him take take a copy or take a walk. That is your responsibility.

You people are acting like a little kid who has put on his shoes first and cannot figure out how to get his pants on over his shoes - and you want to act like some grown-up is supposed to change the rules because you don't want to

learn how to do it right.

If you really need help to figure this out then I will give you some advice: STAY HOME. 

3 minutes ago, MuuKondiao said:

I have been reading this post for two days and I still have to say you people who are arguing against the hotel manager are still 100% wrong and he is still right.

This is a black-and-white issue. The laws - of Thailand and of your home country - state that you carry your passport. Period. The hotel manager - in accordance with the laws of Thailand - requires that you hand over your  p.p for him to make a copy of the required pages.

Renting a m.c. is a different issue. If you are adamant that you have a right to hand over your p.p. to every m.c. rental agent then you are breaking the law and putting your self at risk of losing your p.p. and of getting hassled -legally - by the Thai police for not carrying your p.p.

It is not the hotel manager's job - or mine - to advise you to check in to your hotel first and then go to the rental shop and then deal with them, with your p.p. in hand and give in to his demand to keep the p.p. thereby overriding the law with his procedures - or to tell him take take a copy or take a walk. That is your responsibility.

You people are acting like a little kid who has put on his shoes first and cannot figure out how to get his pants on over his shoes - and you want to act like some grown-up is supposed to change the rules because you don't want to

If you really need help to figure this out then I will give you some advice: STAY HOME. 

"If you really need help to figure this out then I will give you some advice: STAY HOME."

Not that's a new wrinkle on the ol' go back to your home country mantra

4 hours ago, MuuKondiao said:

????????

On 2/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, NilSS said:

Yes we'll take a copy as long as the arrival/departure card is there, but grumble about it. It's really best to carry your passport, no matter how inconvenient, the law is what is is, for better or worse. In any case you're still an idiot for handing over your passport.

the day when you will be able to teach me what I can do or not has not yet come, keep dreaming.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, grollies said:

Who are you calling an idiot?

I've never hired a motocy and would never hand over my passort to anyone other than immigration.

What about drawing funds from a bank, or booking a train ticket? I always have to hand my passport

over so they can record the details.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What about drawing funds from a bank, or booking a train ticket? I always have to hand my passport

over so they can record the details.

Sorry, I meant hand over to someone to keep hold of as these motocy companies seem to do.

Archived