BANGKOK
NilSS

What sort of a person hands over their passport to a motorcycle hire company

On 2/9/2019 at 5:13 PM, NilSS said:

They show up without a copy. Duh.

Are you on your period?

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, thequietman said:

Driving licence contains the passport number.

Why is that not acceptable, ye twonk ?

What sort of a being ..refers to another as a "twonk"....I would rather be what he considers a "twonk" ...than an ill-mannered brat of a hotel staff member with an exarragted idea of his own importance.

I cannot believe anyone is arguing against the fact that if you hand your passport over to a motorbike hire company you are "twonk" (I prefer <deleted>, but I am Australian) or a jetski hire company or a car rental company or let your hotel keep it. I don't live in Thailand full time but I have never checked into a decent hotel and not had to produce my passport. I  never leave my passport with anyone except my wife or in a hotel safe.

• Like 2

How many kind of twonks are there? And what is a twonk anyway?

I always use my Thai drivers license to check into a hotel. When they have that, nobody asks for a passport... 

ps - I would never leave my passport with anyone... a copy does fine. 

Edited by kenk24

On 2/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, NilSS said:

Beats me, but we're way out of town, so I think they fly in, rent a bike or a car, and then come to us, not difficult to understand. We're on a popular motorcycling route.

I think you're full of ****.

What idiot would ride a motorcycle in Thailand anyway?

I bet you are a gardener at the mentioned hotel.

• Confused 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:46 PM, NilSS said:

Because it doesn't contain immigration details. Try to tell me my job again. . .

In the immigration online registration system only a name, birthdate, sex and passport number are mandatory. Registration will go through without the arrival card, visa type and additional details. 

So what are immigration details in your opinion?

I have been asked for my passport on a few occasions when booking into hotels, doing banking and other such things. I always hand over my Pink ID card, and never once has it been refused. I can see your problem with tourists, but I would suggest you pull the horns in and try to be polite. Ranting about the problem on this forum will only attract abuse, and it serves you right.

I do not see the necessity of being so rude to these people as you are, for a hotel manager it does not reflect too much a gentleman behaviour:coffee1:

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, thequietman said:

Driving licence contains the passport number.

Why is that not acceptable, ye twonk ?

Your driving licence lasts for 5 years.  There's a 50/50 chance you will renew your passport during that time in which case it will not agree with your driving licence!!

On 2/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, Peterw42 said:

Wouldn't most people book into a hotel first, then go and rent a bike. Why would people be running around getting a bike before they know where they are sleeping, or at least want to drop luggage before getting a bike.

Never Leave your Passport just show and take it back and or give them a Copy 

• Like 1