"Our new silk line from Thailand is made by incredible women in a highly secured prison in Chiang Mai."

JimmyJ

I wonder how much they pay the woman in prison in Chiang Mai. Realistically, I guess they can't come out and say they are paying the prisoners less than $1 per hour as it might make the people paying $300 for a garment or bag a little queasy.  

Fair wages

We develop country-specific payment schemes that best fit conditions at hand, in order to ensure that each woman in our production is guaranteed the local living wage of the country we operate in as a minimum, as recommended by the ILO.

How we set our prices

We don’t compromise and our prices reflect the amount of material used, the time spent making it and what it takes to run a modern company. We have created our season-less business model that empowers women in prison while eliminating stock and product waste. We only invest in the world’s best materials local to the place of production and we make sure to sell what we produce and we produce what we sell. Eliminating waste is not only right with the environment, but it’s also cost saving and financially smart.

Looking at some of their silk trousers, they look really badly cut/designed.

I really wonder how much of those designs they can sell. I have friends in the clothing industry and I really doubt whether much of what is on their Thai section would sell.

Archived