BANGKOK 18 February 2019 07:23
killerbeez

8TB External Hard drive - 7,040 baht!

Wow! An 8 terabyte Western Digital external hard drive for just $7,040 including the shipping on LAZADA1008458640_8TBHDDorder.JPG.99ed76e39e9f9378574e278129b4b5ef.JPGWD-Western-Digital-8TB-MY-BOOK-Desktop-External.jpg.07207ed0e8449cc3958baeb49e416e2c.jpg !

It should be here in a couple of days. I'll update this post with a complete review which will include delivery times, packaging and performance speeds.

Stay tuned!

Whatever you do don't stand it up like in the picture....if it falls over while platter is spinning /read/write then it can very easily be rendered useless....how do I know ? ? ?

• Haha 1

What could you possibly need 7 Terabytes pf data for.  One of the largest supercenter stores in the USA with over 300 locations, over 60,000 employees, $18 billion in annual sales and hundreds of thousands of product runs the entire company on 1 Terabyte.  Unless you are downloading and keeping the entire library on Netflix I think you have overkill. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading that those My Book units can contain bare drives that were RMA'd under warranty and refurbished. But who knows?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

What could you possibly need 7 Terabytes pf data for.  One of the largest supercenter stores in the USA with over 300 locations, over 60,000 employees, $18 billion in annual sales and hundreds of thousands of product runs the entire company on 1 Terabyte.  Unless you are downloading and keeping the entire library on Netflix I think you have overkill. 

Entirely different type of data genius. Multimedia vs Unix servers mmmmkay

• Like 2

I have a 3TB 3.5" USB 3.0 Seagate Expansion External HD that I bought on clearance from Wal-Mart last year for $35. Now that's a bargain at less than $12 a TB. It is connected to my PS4 console and I use it to store and play all digital content downloaded from the PS Store.  The 8TB WD MyBook you post is priced at $169.99 from the WD online store. 

Always a bit strange...

these enclosures often cost less, by 15% or more, than the bare drive

drives manufactured in Thailand are still less expensive, by 35%++ at the high end, in the U.S. than in Thailand

I've been looking for a Seagate 8TB HDD (ST8000DM0004)...

$200 all in in the U.S.

10,950 THB (~ $350) here

16 hours ago, Thomas J said:

A bulging Jav collection maybe🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

It's just 2 4gb drives slapped together.

I don't think so.

This category of WD is just one-disk: https://www.wd.com/products/external-storage/my-book-new.html#WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN

The day your 8TB disk dies... you can cry :sad:

I by far would prefer (for my own usage) a small NAS with RAID 2x4TB

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Just storing the photos of 60,000 employees would take a couple of terabytes. Website, product catalogues etc. 

I prefer to have 4 x 2 TB or 2 x 4TB. What happens if you load all your data on a 8TB and it fails?