SURVEY: Do you regret moving to Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you regret moving to Thailand?  

413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After you have lived in Thailand for a while you will realize that a larger age difference than the West is considered normal.  Also because of the large number of women who supplement their income catering to older men of all ethnic backgrounds it is not seen as as much of a taboo as the West.  Also having a second or minor wife is considered normal in Thailand for the man and the second wife and little if any stigma is attached.  

All in all Thailand is a much more male friendly place to live for all but the new wave crop of PC men. 

Been here 10 years. Mostly Only 2 places girls learn English, a bar or university.

The guys married to girls 20 years younger are not from university but most guys in denial about their past and suck up any story like I not bar girl I just cashier lol

Once you have a few years under your belt here you will get it.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many go to Thailand for sex... You moved to Thailand with your Wife... 

Your Singaporean Wife would only have sex with you in Thailand? so you now come here for an annual vacation? :hit-the-fan: 

ok... ok... just kidding... I get what you are saying...   Everyone else (ok, many) go to Thailand for sex, but not you.... 

I know, I just thought it was going to be a great way to retire early and stretch my savings. I really saw that equation evaporate over the last several years, again the caveat being, depends how you want to live.

Now my wife still works, and her earning potential in her field is probably x10 that she could have made in Thailand, even if she could have got a similar job.

She regrets our time in Thailand a lot more than me, a fact she reminds me about constantly!

Edited by GinBoy2

2 hours ago, oruaM said:

are you living in Thailand ? I would say the first 3 things you mention are debatable depending on individual's background but the weather ... the most part of this country is a hellish steam room 11 months a year

Do you live in Thailand and if so for how long?

Steam room? Not outside the rainy season. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mania said:

I think moving to a foreign country is a nice life experience to have & am glad we had the years we did in Thailand.

I would only advise you to be sure to leave an escape hatch.

Meaning if you have a home in your present country do not sell it. Rent it out so it is there likely appreciating in value while your gone.

Leave at least half of your liquid assets in your home country

Lastly with regard to Thailand realize that for almost all expats, 

living in Thailand means you will never have rights of citizenship. 

You will be applying for permission to stay every year no matter what the rule changes are

You will be checking in every 90 days no matter what even though you have been granted a 1 year stay extension

You will be checking in anytime you left your registered address for more than 24 hours

You will be asking permission to leave & to return from any trips out of Thailand to keep your 1 yr extension valid

If I was offered the same path my wife was offered in the USA

Meaning initially a 2 year visa & ability to work, then a 10 year visa in which during the 1st year of her 10 year visa she

could apply for US citizenship (which she did & obtained US citizenship)

Then I may have considered a lifetime in Thailand. The uncertainty of permanence was not something I wanted to face in later years.

Having seen many 70+ year old foreigners at immigration dealing with the requirements I could not imagine that for myself

in the future.

But again as I said initially living in a foreign country for some years was a great life experience & I am glad

I got to experience it.

Have a plan & don't burn your bridges if you decide to give it a go. ????

"living in Thailand means you will never have rights of citizenship."

Not true. 

It's a fine experience to spend time in Thailand but I would never want to stay there permanently. I agree with a previous post that it is important not to burn bridges with your home country and have an escape plan if necessary. Who would have imagined that Syria would disintegrate to the extent that it has? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

"living in Thailand means you will never have rights of citizenship."

Not true. 

Yes if you read my post clearly you see that I said...

"Lastly with regard to Thailand realize that for almost all expats

living in Thailand means you will never have rights of citizenship."

But of course citizenship is possible for a few as shown in the long running since 2007 topic

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

But for most especially the retired it will never be possible

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, oruaM said:

are you living in Thailand ? I would say the first 3 things you mention are debatable depending on individual's background but the weather ... the most part of this country is a hellish steam room 11 months a year

Where do you live in LOS? I certainly didn't classify the weather as a problem. The heat was one of the things I really liked about the place, and it certainly wasn't "hellish" 11 months of the year.

I lived in Pattaya and Chiang Mai, but stayed in most parts over the years I visited before I moved permanently.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't plan to die at all, it'll probably happen, but it's definitely not on my 'things to do' list.

"I don't plan to die at all, it'll probably happen".

WOW..... Probably. WOW!

I don't plan to pee in the next 24 hours but it'll "probably" happen.

Edited by HuskerDo
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Hi @Scott can we please have a parallel survey for those of us who have not yet made the move... 

For guys who are/were thinking of moving to Thailand...

1. Still Happy, steaming ahead
  2. On the side lines, maybe/maybe not
  3. decided against

Be honest I'm in trap 2, have more than enough money to meet the requirements just starting to think I'm not so welcome anymore so why shouldn't I look elsewhere.

You're probably not all that welcome in your home country other than as a source of revenue. Thailand's a pretty great place if you skip lightly across the surface of the culture and society. Don't recommend a deep dive. Same applies to the US where I come from.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Left Thailand several years ago as I too had had enough of Thailand.  Settled into a normal routine of life in a modern country with all its wonderful conveniences...and became bored shitless after a few years of a mundane existence.

Hustled back to Thailand and now life is interesting and exciting once more.   

Like paying 200 baht entrance fee to get into a national park while my girl only paid 40.  Like dodging motorcycles and other vehicles coming from most any direction at any time...life is good once more.  ???? 

If it's any consolation in America the prices are the same for both foreigners and locals $15-$40 each depending on the park. 200 Baht doesn't seem so expensive by comparison.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:58 PM, madmen said:

take the bar girls out of the equation and 99 % of farang would not be here except of course the ones that married theirs ????

Correct Madman and if you take the bar girls and caddies out of the same equation the golf courses would all be empty and broke ! Golf is very expensive in Thailand especially compared to Australia 

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Once you have a few years under your belt here you will get it.

Once you have a few years under your belt, you stop thinking about where the girl come from, and you see how they act together as a team, not what they have done before or who they are. 

One of the most important things I have learned, is that everyone is running from something, when they coming here. Either it is from themselves, who have struggled back home, and trying to find a new way, and a new life, or it is for health, adventure, girls, or what ever it is, they are facing the same things here. Thumb of rules, if you have struggled home, it will not be easier here as many think. 

But for some it is a paradise, if you just can get the head out of your butt, and see things for what it is, here and now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

You're probably not all that welcome in your home country other than as a source of revenue. Thailand's a pretty great place if you skip lightly across the surface of the culture and society. Don't recommend a deep dive. Same applies to the US where I come from.

I sort of consider Singapore as my home country now (originally from UK) after living there for the past 10 years, but you can bet your cotton socks I'll be out of there < 1 month after retirement.

I love the place & would never speak badly of it, but it's a place where you go to work, not to live (Though my SG/Chinese gf has got it in her head that we should get married so I can live there after work!).

Lots of places I'm yet to visit in this world (South America in particular) so I'll maintain my Non-O Imm (>50) but won't be committing anything to Thailand outside of the Condo that I already rent & the 1MM THB in the bank to cover Visa renewal (I know it's only 800K but I like being a millionaire :) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Immigration, racism and a language barrier? ........ can't say I faced either in the UK.

Well, I did not really think of those things, since Im still a guest who choose to stay in their country, and live by their rules. I have other options if I do not like their rules, but still I find Thailand as my best option. 

In some ways, I wish my country also handled things different when it comes to immigrants, since our laws and rules is not perfect either, and not for the best of our country. Especially I have to make a new schengen visa for my partner every time I have to go  home, even we already have been partner for years, and they still need to get that confirmed over and over, with the same paperwork and same details. 

I do not peronally feel the racism or language barrier

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, swifty5x5 said:

I would rather have moved to Cambodia.

Could you please eloborate why? I see nothing in Cambodia, that makes that place a better place for expat or retirement destination. If you live cheep, eat local food, local transportation, and only interest is a local bar and playing pool, there is nothing else there!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Everyone has choices.

Trouble is read through TVF long enough, and often they are outta choices, well at least good choices!

They sell up everything to build their Tillack a mansion in Nakhon Back of Beyond, then when it all goes south, stuck with all their assets a house they don't own, and can't get any money back, even 'if' they could sell it

That's when the choices are pretty few and far between and real regret sets in.

I think we've known more than a few in that scenario

• Like 1