SURVEY: Do you regret moving to Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you regret moving to Thailand?  

413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Trouble is read 

That's when the choices are pretty few and far between and real regret sets in.

All hope is not out! Pattaya is still cheep and a good place to live when shit hits the fan! 

Just cant understand the negativity, just because life starts getting boring. It could be worse than stuck in Pattaya!

37 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Could you please eloborate why? I see nothing in Cambodia, that makes that place a better place for expat or retirement destination. If you live cheep, eat local food, local transportation, and only interest is a local bar and playing pool, there is nothing else there!

You forgot local people

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swifty5x5 said:

You forgot local people

Samme same but different? 

I hear same stories about violent mafia there as here. I do not mix to much with local people here except family, so I would not do anything different in Cambodia, except my gf would be a foreigner as well. If I choose to live there I would have to get a local, and right now that is not an option, since I think my thai gf would not accept that!

9 hours ago, oruaM said:

are you living in Thailand ? I would say the first 3 things you mention are debatable depending on individual's background but the weather ... the most part of this country is a hellish steam room 11 months a year

LOL

I'm from Florida in the USSA. Same weather for the most part. No such thing as too hot or humid for me. The only thing cold I want is my beer.

If you have such a negative opinion of Thailand and its people, food, and weather, I assume you aren't hypocritically living here. Or are you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

LOL

I'm from Florida in the USSA. Same weather for the most part. No such thing as too hot or humid for me. The only thing cold I want is my beer.

If you have such a negative opinion of Thailand and its people, food, and weather, I assume you aren't hypocritically living here. Or are you?

I remember winters in central Florida being much cooler than Thailand, and the summers perhaps a little hotter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I remember winters in central Florida being much cooler than Thailand, and the summers perhaps a little hotter.

0c or 32 farhenheit in january in Florida is coooold, and summer? So humid and hot. Thailand is far better, or most places in Thailand is far better than Florida. 

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

My advice to anyone considering moving to Thailand would be to make an extended trial stay here of at least 3-6 months before fully committing to moving here. I understand that this advice may likely strike many as clichéd and hackneyed, but it may be more applicable in Thailand than elsewhere.

I

3-6 months is not long enough to get rid of the pink sunglasses. 2-3 years is a good advise, because then you have experienced your first truly love fall apart, and you start on scratch again with new pair of sunglasses. 

Good luck

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hummin said:

0c or 32 farhenheit in january in Florida is coooold, and summer? So humid and hot. Thailand is far better, or most places in Thailand is far better than Florida. 

Yeah, when it gets down to 70F here the girls break out the winter coat and leg warmers...

49 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, it can really get cold in the center and north (used to do some beekeeping in the Gainseville area), but I'm from the West Palm Beach/Jupiter area. Lived my life on the ocean, literally and figuratively. I prefer the weather in Thailand, though. It's always summer, none of this "shiit, I need a sweater" nonsense from time to time. ????

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Yeah, it can really get cold in the center and north (used to do some beekeeping in the Gainseville area), but I'm from the West Palm Beach/Jupiter area. Lived my life on the ocean, literally and figuratively. I prefer the weather in Thailand, though. It's always summer, none of this "shiit, I need a sweater" nonsense from time to time. ????

One of the best strip-joint I've ever been to was in West Palm Beach back in the '80s, the "English Pub".

Weather here is better, yes.

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Left Thailand several years ago as I too had had enough of Thailand.  Settled into a normal routine of life in a modern country with all its wonderful conveniences...and became bored shitless after a few years of a mundane existence.

Hustled back to Thailand and now life is interesting and exciting once more.   

Like paying 200 baht entrance fee to get into a national park while my girl only paid 40.  Like dodging motorcycles and other vehicles coming from most any direction at any time...life is good once more.  ???? 

Maybe we are too restless?

14 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

The amount of Thai women I have met that have dumped their husbands over a second wife is astounding. They are all not submissive like that and just about any normal Thai girl that I know will not put up with it. Many of my married friends (both Thai and farang) do have sex with prostitutes but the difference is they never see the same girl twice. I have seen housewives turn a blind eye to this, but you bring in a Mai Noi to the equation, it is not welcome in most cases from the wife and they will not put up with it. You see in Thai papers wives shooting husbands/Mai Noi's on a regular basis.

Or worse still, practising their amateur amputation skills.

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

My advice to anyone considering moving to Thailand would be to make an extended trial stay here of at least 3-6 months before fully committing to moving here. I anticipate that this advice will strike many as clichéd and hackneyed, but it may be more worth heeding in Thailand than elsewhere.

I say this for two reasons. Thailand is a country where initial impressions are quite often different from reality, offering ample opportunities for self-deception as well. You need to give yourself a chance to let the glitter dust settle.

I would recommend trying to replicate the lifestyle you envision leading as much as possible, preferably living where you are planning to live long-term during this trial period. In other words, deliberately try to break out of tourist mode and try to understand what residing here will be like.

Sensible advice. I would add.

Try to live on a realistic long term budget according to your means.

Rent for at least two years before

buying a condo or building a house.

If with a partner making financial demands, say no and see if they stay.

If you can, explore Thailand and find somewhere you really like then look for a partner there rather than just accepting where your partner comes from.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Sensible advice. I would add.

Try to live on a realistic long term budget according to your means.

Rent for at least two years before

buying a condo or building a house.

If with a partner making financial demands, say no and see if they stay.

If you can, explore Thailand and find somewhere you really like then look for a partner there rather than just accepting where your partner comes from.

People that we economically irresponsible in their home county will be economically irresponsible here.

Most people that are retiring and have little or no savings are economically irresponsible.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

People that we economically irresponsible in their home county will be economically irresponsible here.

Most people that are retiring and have little or no savings are economically irresponsible.

Who said anything about being economically responsible or having no savings? I posted to share some the things I have learned (through making mistakes) in the hope it might be of use to someone. Not in an attempt to make myself feel superior to others because of their failings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

They sell up everything to build their Tillack a mansion in Nakhon Back of Beyond, then when it all goes south, stuck with all their assets a house they don't own, and can't get any money back, even 'if' they could sell it

My Brit divorce took care of all my 'selling up' problems.

The second time in Thailand, I got to keep everything, not that there was much, no 'Tillack Mansion'.

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ever hear of a pre-nup?

Not in the UK in the 1970s, not even the rules I married under were valid.

When I married the rules were no pension sharing and no right to refuse sex, that changed in the 1990s.

If the rules I was divorced under in 2009 were explained to me in 1970, I would have never married or lived with a woman in the western world.

@JaiLai, what I want is a tactical nuke that I can use to take out British Parliament and as much of the centre of London as possible. Failing that a designer disease that will end the world as we know it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

Yes. I do regret it. It was a waste of nearly 6 years. The most telling factor is Thai freindliness... I have ZERO Thai freinds... not counting the Thai females who were only my freinds for financial gain.

No sense of community. Not in the city. Not at the beach and absolutely not in the countryside... I tried! 555. I'm outgoing... Thai are generally a closed society, with zero to little curiosity about the world around them... so I'm SOL. 555

I think Thailand would be a horrible place to get old and infirm... especially if still single... I'm getting out while I'm fit and able. I need a community.

Be happy

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Bournville said:

Yes. I do regret it. It was a waste of nearly 6 years. The most telling factor is Thai freindliness... I have ZERO Thai freinds... not counting the Thai females who were only my freinds for financial gain.

My former Thai wife's family are still friendly, my former Thai wife is as friendly as I'll let her be.

They all come and visit me and the kids, I go and visit them.

No money is ever involved, although they buy stuff for the kids.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I married the rules were no pension sharing and no right to refuse sex, that changed in the 1990s.

If the rules I was divorced under in 2009 were explained to me in 1970, I would have never married or lived with a woman in the western world.

@JaiLai, what I want is a tactical nuke that I can use to take out British Parliament and as much of the centre of London as possible. Failing that a designer disease that will end the world as we know it.

I fail to see how the divorce "rules", as you call them, were such that you were totally wiped out financially.  It would seem to me that you should have walked away with 50% of assets, pensions, etc., at the very worst.  

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Edited by allanos
duplicated

3 minutes ago, allanos said:

I fail to see how the divorce "rules", as you call them, were such that you were totally wiped out financially.  It would seem to me that you should have walked away with 50% of assets, pensions, etc., at the very worst.  

Children under 15, so she got the 500,000 pound house 100%, 50% of my company pension.

And another 14 years of child maintenance.

So not wiped out totally, I got to keep 50% of my company pension.

If I'd kept more I wouldn't have had 10 years of fun and games out here.

Edited by BritManToo