SURVEY: Do you regret moving to Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you regret moving to Thailand?  

413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:12 AM, madmen said:

Been here 10 years. Mostly Only 2 places girls learn English, a bar or university.

The guys married to girls 20 years younger are not from university but most guys in denial about their past and suck up any story like I not bar girl I just cashier lol

Once you have a few years under your belt here you will get it.

Got here in the 1960's how about you?

Edited by marcusarelus

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Ever hear of a pre-nup?

My ex wife was a trophy wife.  When she divorced me and got enough for her next climb she dated nothing but millionaires and did not marry again until she found one who did not insist on a pre nup.  It is not as common as you may think and not as easy to enforce as you may think.  But if you have one you'll find that out.  

18 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe some answers could change when the THB will yield say 28 THB = 1 US$ !!!.. I definately would not stay on if the exchange rate continues to dwindle and cheat me of my valuable foreign exchange, just to fill the pockets of a greedy bunch on the top !

When I got here in the 1960's the rate was 25 baht to the dollar if I remember correctly. 

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never been, but these are the same guys that invited me to HCMC and I loved it, then invited me to Siam Reap and I loved it. So who should I believe, guys that have taken me to places before that I enjoyed.

Or a poster with under 200 posts on an anonymous forum who may never have visited Asia?

You cannot compare SR to PP, 2 completely different animals.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:58 PM, madmen said:

take the bar girls out of the equation and 99 % of farang would not be here except of course the ones that married theirs ????

Where did the bar girls go anyway, well the decent looking ones.

2 minutes ago, Jiggo said:

Where did the bar girls go anyway, well the decent looking ones.

They are still in the bars , although the hard living hasnt been kind to them and they are a big larger and older looking than they were 20 year ago , still in the bars though  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've never been, but these are the same guys that invited me to HCMC and I loved it, then invited me to Siam Reap and I loved it. So who should I believe, guys that have taken me to places before that I enjoyed.

Or a poster with under 200 posts on an anonymous forum who may never have visited Asia?

Unlike you, I have been there and it sucked. Filthy place. The food is nothing next to Thai food. No smiles unless they were talking to you and realized that there might be some money coming their way. Siem Reap was by far the best part of Cambodia that I've seen but it's not a place I'd care to live; visiting once was more than enough.

I stand by my remarks. Cambodia and Phnom Penh in particular is a shiithole and only fitting for people who can no longer afford to live somewhere better. You're more than welcome to move seeing as you like it so much. ????

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Seems like we see quite a few panic sales lately of houses. Strong baht and tougher requirements for year visa could be the reason. 

If i ever had to sell the house it would not be a fire sale, if you have trusted people you can let them take care of it. I am fortunate, i do have trusted people so no fire sale. Not that my house is that expensive. A modest 1.2 million so not going to break the bank at all. Plus I lived here for 13 years, if i factor in rent for around 5.000 (more now) I am close to break even. Sure I could have gotten some interest that I have to take into account but if I take into account the exchange rate then I have made the difference up for sure.

• Like 1

Don't regret my choice as I have had a good run. But now, I am about to load up the wagon and head off to Hoi An, Vietnam where I will feel more welcomed and won't have to deal with Thai Immigration and their collective hated for ExPats. A nice country, nice people for the most part, great food and a low cost of living all ruined by DIC...HEADS namely BIGGEST JOKE.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Seems like we see quite a few panic sales lately of houses. Strong baht and tougher requirements for year visa could be the reason. 

My wife has shown me a few daily for the past week or so.

These were all on Thai websites too. But you could pretty well assume they were foreigner homes by design/decoration etc.

Some very nice deals to be had if one were looking to buy.

I think things could get crowded into a real buyers market further down the road.

Not just due to this visa related deal but also because so many areas have been so over built in recent years.

Looks like a bubble

Edited by mania

24 minutes ago, faraday said:

99% of farangs married bar girls?

Jog on son.

:1zgarz5:

How about ..........

90% of Thai women married foreigners because of his money.

I certainly can't think of a reason why my (former) Thai wife, 20 years my junior, married me.

Although there is always the possibility Thai women like to sleep with men that remind them of their dads and uncles.

Calling them bar girls is unfair IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How about ..........

90% of Thai women married foreigners because of his money.

I certainly can't think of a reason why my (former) Thai wife, 20 years my junior, married me.

Although there is always the possibility Thai women like to sleep with men that remind them of their dads and uncles.

Calling them bar girls is unfair IMHO.

How about 90% of all women marry men because of his money the other 10% are already rich. Even male birds have to build a nest before a female bird will chirp with them. 

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

And, if the sudden flood of disgruntled ex-Thailand expats who keep threatening to move to Vietnam ever eventuates, things will only get worse there.

Could you imagine all the angry old men here packing up and leaving Thailand to go inundate Vietnam immigration? Be fun to lurk on the Vietnam forum. Same nonsense by the same posters just the names and location has changed. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, JAFO said:

Could you imagine all the angry old men here packing up and leaving Thailand to go inundate Vietnam immigration? Be fun to lurk on the Vietnam forum. Same nonsense by the same posters just the names and location has changed. ????

What is the name of the forum?  I'd like to go there and bad mouth Vietnam because I don't live there anymore. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What is the name of the forum?  I'd like to go there and bad mouth Vietnam because I don't live there anymore. 

The Vietnamese government quickly shuts down anything that's in the least way critical of themselves.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

We can't post links to other forums, but do a search of "Vietnam expat forum" and you'll see a few.  I really couldn't be bothered going on any other country's expat forum, other than the one I live in, and would never come back and start preaching on Thai Visa, like a maddened evangelical who has "seen the light" and wants to save us Thailand living sinners, should I decide to move from here.

35 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The Vietnamese government quickly shuts down anything that's in the least way critical of themselves.

To anyone who doubts my first reply, go onto one of those forums and either make a derogatory "Nguyen" generalisation (similar to the all too frequent "Somchai" ones here), or poke fun at a government minister or head of department - as many do on Thai visa, and see how long it lasts.  

Edited by ballpoint