PHOTOS: Five Chinese tourists injured in speedboat accident in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

PHOTOS: Five Chinese tourists injured in speedboat accident in Phuket

p4.jpg

Five Chinese tourists and two Thai nationals were injured after two boats collided in waters off Koh Rang, near Phuket on Saturday afternoon.

The 10 Chinese tourists were travelling back from Koh Phi Phi on the Sai Nam speedboat when it collided with a barge, which was carrying oil, Manager reported.

The crash caused extensive damage to the speedboat and injuries to the boat's captain and a member of its crew, as well as some of the Chinese tourists.

Among the injured included two men, a woman and two boys.

The injured were taken to Thalang and Mission hospitals in Phuket.

Officials are investigating the cause of the crash.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-09

p1.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpgp7.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp8.jpg

9 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

What is wrong with these speedboats? There is so much space in the water. How come they manage to collide? Seriously, what's wrong with these poeple who manage the speedboats?

They learned their skills riding a motor cycle!

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Well between boat and van accidents the Chinese are coping a fair share in Phuket. I am amazed that they keep rolling in.

The DPM assured them Thailand is safe....and who could distrust him!

4 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

The Chinese are swarming on Phuket, in a statement from the Ministry of Silly Statements.

Chinese tourists there are so many the more you kill the more there are!

Makes it sound like some sort of insect that must be capable of breeding posthumously.

The impact occurred on the starboard bow (front right hand side) of the speedboat and the port bow (front left hand side) of the barge.  In the International Rules for Prevention of Collision at Sea (IRPCS) all vessels should give way to any other vessel approaching from its Starboard side, which is lit with a green lamp at night; that is a pretty good signal to other boats indicating direction of travel and safety to carry on course.  The point of impact and failure to follow IRPCS would suggest the speedboat driver was being a <deleted> and trying to make the ride exciting by passing close in front of the barge.  Speedboat is probably three or four times faster than the barge anyway and avoiding collision would have been easy enough for a trained amoeba to do.

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

The Chinese are swarming on Phuket, in a statement from the Ministry of Silly Statements.

Chinese tourists there are so many the more you kill the more there are!

Oh my God!

In a kind of bizarre way you are correct..

Still,the Chinese will eventually hang out these ersatz dimwits to dry.

The useless sexpats just don't cut it.

Investigating Marine Officer : "So Captain Somchai, what do you think happened?"

Captain Somchai : "Well Officer, I was proceeding down the hill, and the surface was wet and slippery, no, wait,.... I was proceeding down the hill, and the brakes fail....no, wait.....I was proceeding along , and swerved to miss a branch in the.....no wait....i was waiting to do a u-turn, and the barge....no, that's not it either.....can I answer a question on sport please......"

The fuel boat is built like a tug boat and usually operates at low speeds. The speedboat captain should lose his licenses as there is no excuse for this collision where he must have been playing chicken. Speedboats are built paper thin and are often overpowered and overloaded. They are about as safe as a van lol !

15 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Seriously, what's wrong with these poeple who manage the speedboats?

They use the same tactics as when they drive their cars - Me, Me, Me!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the captain flashed his lights at the barge.

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand is going to run out of feet to shoot soon...

just how many accidents with Chinese tourists are China going to accept before saying "enough is enough" !

Who knows? Perhaps they see it the same as their 'one child' policy - a means of population control.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt? Here, as a public service to our Chinese brethren (and sistren) is Chinese for "I survived a boat crash in Thailand." 我在泰国遇难 courtesy of Google Translate.

Go to town, T-shirt shops and tattoo parlors. Soon some young Thai entrepreneur will be offering crashes as part of a day's outing. "Actual sinkings extra!" It will be all the rage back in style-conscious Shanghai.

56 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt? Here, as a public service to our Chinese brethren (and sistren) is Chinese for "I survived a boat crash in Thailand." 我在泰国遇难 courtesy of Google Translate.

Go to town, T-shirt shops and tattoo parlors. Soon some young Thai entrepreneur will be offering crashes as part of a day's outing. "Actual sinkings extra!" It will be all the rage back in style-conscious Shanghai.

I'd have thought there would be more chance of "going back unconscious to Shanghai."

Archived