Roofing insulation batts

songhklasid

I just replaced the old can type downlights and notice a difference for a small investment..I also noticed SCG makes 60 cm tile with four inches of insulation built in.., as well as ones with a radiant barrier built in.  I would start with venilation in the attic for a house..but would insulate too.

G'Day Mate,

We had our ceiling insulated about 2 months ago, through HomePro Mae Hia (on the Hang Don road).

We paid a small deposit (of B100 I think - which was credited when we went ahead with the installation).

A couple of days later a very pleasant salesman came and inspected and measured our ceiling, and presented us with a quote, which we accepted.

About a week later the bats were deliver and the next day a elderly team (husband and wife) came and professionally completed the installation.

This was the best service I've had in 15 years of living here.

The overall cost will depend on the bats you choose and the area to be installed. For us we went for the best quality (from Israel). Good luck

9 hours ago, CM4Me said:

G'Day Mate,

We had our ceiling insulated about 2 months ago, through HomePro Mae Hia (on the Hang Don road).

We paid a small deposit (of B100 I think - which was credited when we went ahead with the installation).

A couple of days later a very pleasant salesman came and inspected and measured our ceiling, and presented us with a quote, which we accepted.

About a week later the bats were deliver and the next day a elderly team (husband and wife) came and professionally completed the installation.

This was the best service I've had in 15 years of living here.

The overall cost will depend on the bats you choose and the area to be installed. For us we went for the best quality (from Israel). Good luck

Can you give a ballpark figure of cost you paid per s/m?

10 hours ago, moontang said:

I just replaced the old can type downlights and notice a difference for a small investment

I was thinking of doing this too!... The style I have now seem to allow a lot of air to enter... in my lounge alone the are are 12 of them in the ceiling!... Each letting in hot air and here in CM there is the pollution issue and I want to seal the room up a bit better...

Did you switch to LED?... what model?

Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Global House. It's best to buy the thickest stuff affordable, 6 inch is best.

From memory , the cost of insulating about 100 sqm of roof space ( including installation ) is about 12,000 baht.

IMG_20190111_202813.thumb.jpg.b02634e74fed1379dc628888bd5bcb2a.jpg

4 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I was thinking of doing this too!... The style I have now seem to allow a lot of air to enter... in my lounge alone the are are 12 of them in the ceiling!... Each letting in hot air and here in CM there is the pollution issue and I want to seal the room up a bit better...

Did you switch to LED?... what model?

I bought the Panasonic 12 watt...round...calls for a hold of 125 mm....my existing holes were 117..so I just scraped them a little and I got a perfect fit.  That equals a 19 watt CFL, 1080 lumens.  But I think you still save even if you don't use the lights much..because of the right seal.  Those are 279 each at homepro.  Put a square one in the bathroom, and will also replace the round fluorescent with the Panasonic, also 

IMG_20190111_202828.jpg

19 minutes ago, moontang said:

But I think you still save even if you don't use the lights much..

Yeah we never use any of the ceiling lights... I was more interested in trying to air seal the ceiling from the living area so my air filters don’t have to work so hard...

I’ve just ordered a half a dozen of these to fit out in the bedroom as a test... the 6w are 10.5cm which are my exact hole size...

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i277166933-s442912717.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm=a2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Global House. It's best to buy the thickest stuff affordable, 6 inch is best.

From memory , the cost of insulating about 100 sqm of roof space ( including installation ) is about 12,000 baht.

Thickest isnt always best when it comes to roof insulation.

The key number you need to look for is the R value, thermal resistivity.

The higher the R value the better, BUT thicness is also key.

You can have 6" thick of a lesser product wheras 2" of a better product is the winner.

So, you can go to Home pro, and on the shelf is Sunshield 6" with an R rating of 37 (6 per inch)

Beside it is SCG Staycool 3" with R-27 (9 per inch)

Sunshield is 359bt for 2.4m roll and Staycool is 328bt.

Inch for inch staycool is the better product but on balance and price the Staycool is your choice.

At the lower end you see the shelves stocked high with microfiber and other thai brands and they are wavi g look at me i am 147bt, 236bt,205bt and are labelled R18,R7,R12,R21 and are often at 2.5per inch, 4per inch,7per inch.

Be careful with value for money as the cheapies are often not worth it.

However with the Sunshield example for some odd reason thry do a 2" R18 a whopping 9per inch rating for 115bt, so you actually get better insulation qualities buying 3layers than the 6" and for a cheaper price.

<deleted>, I am starting. to bore myself now! 

6 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Thickest isnt always best when it comes to roof insulation.

The key number you need to look for is the R value, thermal resistivity.

The higher the R value the better, BUT thicness is also key.

You can have 6" thick of a lesser product wheras 2" of a better product is the winner.

So, you can go to Home pro, and on the shelf is Sunshield 6" with an R rating of 37 (6 per inch)

Beside it is SCG Staycool 3" with R-27 (9 per inch)

Sunshield is 359bt for 2.4m roll and Staycool is 328bt.

Inch for inch staycool is the better product but on balance and price the Staycool is your choice.

At the lower end you see the shelves stocked high with microfiber and other thai brands and they are wavi g look at me i am 147bt, 236bt,205bt and are labelled R18,R7,R12,R21 and are often at 2.5per inch, 4per inch,7per inch.

Be careful with value for money as the cheapies are often not worth it.

However with the Sunshield example for some odd reason thry do a 2" R18 a whopping 9per inch rating for 115bt, so you actually get better insulation qualities buying 3layers than the 6" and for a cheaper price.

<deleted>, I am starting. to bore myself now! 

True. The R value is always what counts. I surrender.

13 hours ago, Naam said:

if it's not a blatant marketing lie.

I worked for a company who made insulation batts in Australia. They were always sampled and tested to confirm the "R' value. Your point is valid, however. Who knows what certification bodies in Thailand will approve by way of labelling.

Archived