Trump may skip deadline for report on Saudi journalist's murder

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From the media, you would think that Khashoggi was a red white and blue flag waving US patriot, if not born in the US then at least a long term immigrant. In reality, he had only lived in the States for just over a year, and wrote sporadically for the Washington Post for even less time than that. He was incredibly rich and knew a lot of "the right people", which made it easy for him to get a visa to stay in the US.   

Of course he shouldn'T have been murdered, and of course he isn't to be blamed for his own death. But, this should hardly be the concern of the Congress

Would depend on the foreign policy. If that is 'we care about human rights and violaters will be gotten at in one way or another' or 'we only care about the money we can make and human rights be damned'.

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

So, the Saudi government killed a Saudi citizen on Saudi soil.  Why should anyone else care enough to impose sanctions, get their panties in a knot, etc? The only reason the story has any traction is Khashoggi's media connection. The networks and media corporations are in a tizzy because "one of their own" was targeted. He was a decades long supporter of the regime in Riyadh and also groups like the Muslim Brotherhood, then wandered off the reservation. 

Since when has Turkey been part of Saudi Arabia??? Also Khashoggi was also an American citizen.

Let's hope geography was not your best subject at school.

37 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

From the media, you would think that Khashoggi was a red white and blue flag waving US patriot, if not born in the US then at least a long term immigrant. In reality, he had only lived in the States for just over a year, and wrote sporadically for the Washington Post for even less time than that. He was incredibly rich and knew a lot of "the right people", which made it easy for him to get a visa to stay in the US.   

Of course he shouldn'T have been murdered, and of course he isn't to be blamed for his own death. But, this should hardly be the concern of the Congress. 

What a difference a house majority makes.

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Since when has Turkey been part of Saudi Arabia??? Also Khashoggi was also an American citizen.

Let's hope geography was not your best subject at school.

1. The Saudi Embassy is legally considered sovereign Saudi territory under international law. 

2.Khashoggi was NOT an American citizen. He was a resident alien on a visa.

Lets hope reading comprehension was not your best subject at school.

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Mr Khashoggi US citizen or not he would have been entitled to full protection as a full US citizen.

I was just trying point out his naivety of not walking into the Saudi Embassy in Washington.

"He went to the Saudi embassy because he needed divorce documents which would allow him to remarry his Turkish fiancee. He went to the Saudi embassy in Turkey because that was where he was and the Turks are known for not kowtowing to Saudi Arabia--as should be apparent from the Turkish response to the murder on their soil."

Has the GOP discovered some backbone?  Perhaps.  We shall see how this plays out....

[Senate Republicans are fuming at President Donald Trump for telling lawmakers he would disregard a law requiring a report to Congress determining who is responsible for the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.]

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/11/gop-trump-ignored-khashoggi-report-1164487

On 2/11/2019 at 1:28 AM, smotherb said:

He went to the Saudi embassy because he needed divorce documents which would allow him to remarry his Turkish fiancee.

More specifically, he first went to the Saudi embassy in Washington DC to get those documents. But His Royal Highness Ambassador Prince Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz (younger brother to Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman) redirected him to the Saudi embassy in Turkey for those documents!

Those alleged documents couldn't have been sent to the US Saudi embassy?

It is likely that Ambassador SBA was complicit in MBS' planned kidnapping or murder of Khashoggi.

Regardless of whether there was proof of SBA's involvement of Khashoggi's murder, the Trump administration should have rejected SBA's continued tenure as Ambassador to the US - its a matter of credibility.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:37 PM, Prissana Pescud said:

Everyone except extremist right wing US Americans knows what US represents now.

It will take decades to remove the taint of the current so called administration.

More than just a taint. The scum of US has risen to the top. Go US. Yay.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Basil B said:

Yes, it really stinks, and it is going to take a lot to get rid of it.

@Prissana Pescud  @Basil B I couldn’t have agreed more.  Reminds of Chris Hedge’s views in that not only will it take time to remove people who obey for paychecks rather than the peoples’ best interests but decades of such history has lead us to this point also.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Kwasaki said:

Sad way to die but I have always wondered why a Saudi guy wanted by the Saudi's, US citizenship or not would want to walk into a Saudi Embassy in Turkey of all places, sounds like a suicide mission.

Will Trump do somethings to jeopardize a huge arms deal is the question.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, Kwasaki said:

Mr Khashoggi US citizen or not he would have been entitled to full protection as a full US citizen.

I was just trying point out his naivety of not walking into the Saudi Embassy in Washington.

@Kwasaki My initial response was going to be this. He obviously trusted and believed in the legitimacy of his government. There was no other way to obtain the marriage documents he was seeking.  However, after further reading, I really like the point you made in that he should have just went to the Saudi Embassy in the States.    :huh: ha

Alas! His wife is Turkish!

On 2/10/2019 at 7:40 PM, Tug said:

What did you expect from the guy who admires putin who murders with a nerve agent in a foreign country or little Kim who kills family with the same method who declares the press is the enemy of the people frankly I would be surprised if he did comply 

@Tug You mean the Skripal case right? That is such a shady investigation and it’s not even being talked about anymore. As far as Kim’s murder please provide a source for that.

I have to say that I too share such pessimism for Trump

23 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

@Kwasaki My initial response was going to be this. He obviously trusted and believed in the legitimacy of his government. There was no other way to obtain the marriage documents he was seeking.  However, after further reading, I really like the point you made in that he should have just went to the Saudi Embassy in the States.    :huh: ha

Alas! His wife is Turkish!

His wife is Turkish so what, the reason he was in Turkey understand that but to go into Saudi Embassy in Turkey where he arranged to pick up papers is Saudi territory where he knows his wanted that was daft IMO.

Surely he knew how ruthless Saudi's can be.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

His wife is Turkish so what, the reason he was in Turkey understand that but to go into Saudi Embassy in Turkey where he arranged to pick up papers is Saudi territory where he knows his wanted that was daft IMO.

Surely he knew how ruthless Saudi's can be.

Yeah, I agree. Except, who knows what he was thinking. I figure, he thought he was too well known especially working for The Washington Post along with his wife being right outside waiting for him.

Archived