Rabbit registration fiasco - Beware!

setbkk

Heard via TV and other sources that all BTS rabbit cards need to be registered by 15 Feb because of anti-laundering regulations (which itself is a bit of a joke).   Criminals want to launder money via rabbit cards - <deleted>!  As we all know, most BTS station ticket agent lines are really long lately (partially because obsolete ticket machines do not accept paper currency).  Found a station with no line to make things easy.  Presented rabbit card and passport with request for registration.  Response from agent was a puzzled look and "huh".  Repeated the request, got another "huh".  Finally agent got the idea of what I wanted.   She pulled out a little terminal and took a picture of passport.  My thoughts:  okay BTS is pretty advanced, registration is done.  No way.  Agent spent the next 5 minutes typing all my passport info into the little terminal via a tiny keyboard.  Next request: phone number which took another 2 minutes to type in.  Then a piece of paper was presented:  address please.  Gave agent a very abbreviated address to keep thing very simple. Agent had to confer with other agent for unknown reasons.  Another 2 minutes typing that info in the tiny terminal.  Then scanned my rabbit card and I was good to go (hopefully).  Total elapsed time: about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, about 25 people were lined up behind me waiting for change, rabbit top-up or ticket.  Totally dysfunctional system to register rabbit cards.  Expect super long lines after 15 Feb when rabbit card top-ups get rejected and people realize they have to register their cards.  Lots of angry people with rabbit cards having to feed coins into ticket machines (and maybe waiting in line to get coins) because rabbit card no good.

While there, I wanted to purchase 4 more rabbit cards for friends that will be visiting later this month (hate standing in lines to buy a ticket, even using the machines).  Agent started processing my request.  Apologized profusely to the nice, very patient Thai guy behind me.  He talked to agent.  He told me the same process would have to be repeated each time for each rabbit card.  I was incredulous, gave up, sort of happy with my one registered rabbit card.  Could you imagine the pissed off people in line behind me if I bought 4 more rabbit cards wasting 40 minutes of the their time.

As far as I can tell, BTS has nothing to advertise this new requirement.  It seems that they need to create dedicated stations set up to register rabbit cards so the normal agent windows do not get horribly backed up beyond what they are already at.  Seems unlikely they can put this together in the next few days. I cannot imagine what is going to happen at Silom and Asoke BTS stations when the s*** hits the fan.

I doubt if BTS management reads TV.  Sure hope they do and they get their act together immediately.  Otherwise, expect a totally dysfunctional BTS for the next few months or so (and lots of very annoyed rabbit users that were blind sighted by this unannounced change).  Of course, the rabbit users can always drive, walk, take motocys, taxis or buses - all horrible alternatives to a nice public transit system that is about to become dysfunctional.

Just my 2 satangs  worth

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Just use coins. I have a Rabbit card for convenience....but bugger that registration.

Queues for the coin machines are often considerably worse. Registered my rabbit card with line pay a couple of months ago, got three free trips and a pile of discounts. Top up is a doddle now, and many places have good discounts if using line pay (McDonald's 20%, Tom n' Tom's coffee 30% etc)... 

7 hours ago, setbkk said:

I doubt if BTS management reads TV. 

You may be surprised ????

Anyway, I will reiterate what I've said in the other threads. 

This is NOT a BTS/Rabbit requirement it is a Thai government requirement that all e-money card holders must be registered (your 7-eleven card needs to be registered too). The requirment is actually several years old and BTS/Rabbit/Seven have been resisting implementing it, it would appear that pressure has been applied from above.

It's going to be chaos I'm afraid.

As far as I'm aware unregistered cards won't stop working you just won't be able to add value after the 15th.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You may be surprised ????

Anyway, I will reiterate what I've said in the other threads. 

This is NOT a BTS/Rabbit requirement it is a Thai government requirement that all e-money card holders must be registered (your 7-eleven card needs to be registered too). The requirment is actually several years old and BTS/Rabbit/Seven have been resisting implementing it, it would appear that pressure has been applied from above.

It's going to be chaos I'm afraid.

As far as I'm aware unregistered cards won't stop working you just won't be able to add value after the 15th.

So stroll over to my local station and get it registered?

You are kidding me right?

I have to walk 500 meters and climb some stairs because of this Thai inefficiency? 

And carry my passport? Do you know how heavy that is?

And I have to let them invade my privacy by giving them my name and address, etc? What, they are too lazy to get that from Immigration.

Screw this, Im leaving. But Ill show them, I wont register! I have plenty of coins! Ill just go to Siam at rush hour to use the machines.

Recently ran into this problem at my local 7-Eleven.  I have a 7 Card which I use for convenience, and to earn points toward promotions.  I've had the card for four years (and have accumulated a great deal of rewards points), and has always been simple to walk in, top up the card when necessary, and use it anytime.  But not today.  Today I went to top up the card and was told I cannot because it's not registered.  Then they asked if the card was mine and where did I get it?  Without being too offended, I simply explained that yes it's mine, I've had it for four years and have used it often, and I originally got it from that particular 7-Eleven actually, four years ago.  They said there was nothing they could do unless the card was registered.  So I offered to do that on the spot.  However, I was again told I could not because I don't have a Thai ID.  They told me that not only is it required to register 7 Cards (even though they are simply cash value cards, not credit/debit cards), but that foreigners will no longer be able to register or obtain the cards at all, unless they have a Thai ID (passports are not acceptable to register the card, or so I was told).  Let me reiterate - it's a stored cash value card.  It's worth is only whatever the holder has put on it, to serve as a convenience - like a BTS/MRT card.  And yet, presumably, expats and tourists will no longer be allowed to get one?  Makes no sense to me.

Speaking of BTS...my Rabbit card is registered.  I did so years ago when I first purchased my card, so I could keep track of my rewards points.  However, it is also not registered with a Thai ID.  Is that going to be a requirement?  I won't be too terrible concerned if my 7 Card is no good anymore, as I only had 29 baht left on it (though my 10,000+ rewards points would be disappointing to lose).  However, if my Rabbit card, which I also use often for convenience, suddenly becomes obsolete because it's not registered with a Thai ID, I will likely get upset, as there's about 2000 baht on it.

It is just madness. You can't blame the BTS staff as they will be the ones left to deal with this farce. 

I don't use the BTS for work and rarely ever use it unless I got to Siam etc.

Is the Rabbit card the only card you can know use for it? I remember there used to be just a normal BTS card that you topped up similar to the MRT and ARL. Has that now gone? 

From the Rabbit Card website:

All Rabbit Cards are required to be registered for identity verification purposes (KYC: Know Your Customer)
according to Anti-Money Laundering Act, B.E. 2542 when Top Up value or purchase Trip Pass.

The unregistered Rabbit Cards will still be normally usable. However, the next time to Top Up value or Trip pass,
card owner are required to show ID card (or passport, in case for a foreigner) to registration.

image.png.5107ae2deb2e54f54e1454e8cbe8d071.png

The Q&A is interesting, even if you are already registered for Rabbit rewards, you will still need to do it again.

ab300878-lo9-rabbit-annouce-a5-en-02-768

https://rabbit.co.th/en/uncategorized/from-february-15th-2019-onwards-all-rabbit-cards-are-required-registration-for-identity-verification-purposes/

my bangkok bank ATM card has a 'rabbit' logo on it.  i assume that means it can be used in lieu of a rabbit card.  does anyone use theirs for the BTS ?  or is it only for merchants that accept the rabbit card.  i assume an ATM card is considered 'registered'.

i don't mind registering my rabbit card but i'm not going to wait in a long line to do it if i can avoid it.  so maybe i'll use the ATM card for awhile until the crisis is over.

edit:  i see #13 in the list above stating a 'corporate rabbit card' (e.g. Bangkok Bank) still needs to be registered.  would that be the equivalent of an ATM card ?

Update on original post:  Found a ticket agent at Prong Phom with no customers.  Registered my wife's rabbit card and bought 4 new cards.  This agent was competent, after he made a 2 minute telephone call to find out what to do.  Total elapsed time to get 5 rabbit cards registered:  25  minutes.  Each card had to be registered individually on a terminal with a tiny keyboard.

Personally, I do not care if rabbit has my PP info and some telephone number and vague address.  What I object to is the failure to fully announce/advertise this requirement and the tedious registration process.  Based on my two experiences, each registration will probably take 5 to 7 minutes.  Lines at the ticket windows will be horrendous after 15 February unless BTS can figure out a way to register more efficiently.

I am topping up all my rabbit cards with enough baht to last a month or two until the fiasco sorts itself out.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Rael007 said:

Recently ran into this problem at my local 7-Eleven.  I have a 7 Card which I use for convenience, and to earn points toward promotions.  I've had the card for four years (and have accumulated a great deal of rewards points), and has always been simple to walk in, top up the card when necessary, and use it anytime.  But not today.  Today I went to top up the card and was told I cannot because it's not registered.  Then they asked if the card was mine and where did I get it?  Without being too offended, I simply explained that yes it's mine, I've had it for four years and have used it often, and I originally got it from that particular 7-Eleven actually, four years ago.  They said there was nothing they could do unless the card was registered.  So I offered to do that on the spot.  However, I was again told I could not because I don't have a Thai ID.  They told me that not only is it required to register 7 Cards (even though they are simply cash value cards, not credit/debit cards), but that foreigners will no longer be able to register or obtain the cards at all, unless they have a Thai ID (passports are not acceptable to register the card, or so I was told).  Let me reiterate - it's a stored cash value card.  It's worth is only whatever the holder has put on it, to serve as a convenience - like a BTS/MRT card.  And yet, presumably, expats and tourists will no longer be allowed to get one?  Makes no sense to me.

Speaking of BTS...my Rabbit card is registered.  I did so years ago when I first purchased my card, so I could keep track of my rewards points.  However, it is also not registered with a Thai ID.  Is that going to be a requirement?  I won't be too terrible concerned if my 7 Card is no good anymore, as I only had 29 baht left on it (though my 10,000+ rewards points would be disappointing to lose).  However, if my Rabbit card, which I also use often for convenience, suddenly becomes obsolete because it's not registered with a Thai ID, I will likely get upset, as there's about 2000 baht on it.

See FAQ 8, you have to reregister

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:19 AM, lamyai3 said:

Queues for the coin machines are often considerably worse. Registered my rabbit card with line pay a couple of months ago, got three free trips and a pile of discounts. Top up is a doddle now, and many places have good discounts if using line pay (McDonald's 20%, Tom n' Tom's coffee 30% etc)... 

Have to do it again, see FAQ 8

Have to do it again, see FAQ 8

Rabbit rewards is not the same as Rabbit Line Pay. You shouldn't have to reregister.

Part of the process of registering for Rabbit Line Pay includes producing your passport, so it's already done.

registered mine today, they have this scanner thing; type in passport details and (fake) mobile number then put the rabbit card on the scanner, all done in under two minutes. interestingly the guy doing it seemed to be training the other staff in the office - which shows some fore thought.

11 hours ago, samsensam said:

registered mine today, they have this scanner thing; type in passport details and (fake) mobile number then put the rabbit card on the scanner, all done in under two minutes. interestingly the guy doing it seemed to be training the other staff in the office - which shows some fore thought.

That's reassuring to hear - thanks for posting.

12 hours ago, samsensam said:

And the name and address of some random hotel.

I wonder if they will accept a (fake) foreign mobile number?

36 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Wow, you all are dutifully rushing to register!

Bought ten rabbit cards, topped each 4K bht. Won’t need to register for awhile ????

cost you 1000 baht for the cards didnt it? You sure showed them!

Privacy. OK. The Rabbit Patrol is gonna tell the NSA where I am. As if they already dont know with their acres upon acres of Supercomputers (probably including quantum ones).

But hey, you got the money, you pays the fee, all is good. Im registered so Im good.

Privacy is one thing that has a completely different value to different people.

To just about every Facebook user its value is very little. To most billionaires, its value is incalculable. For me, I’m somewhere in-between but it’s certainly worth a couple cocktails ;)

Thais are smart. 

So the staff at BTS Onnut told us you cannot register yet, you can only register starting tomorrow. This way they avoid the problems described above. 

Of course, you can register today,  just not at a busy station staffed by smart people (like Onnut).

And of course there are ways to protect your privacy,  see above. 

14 hours ago, Dinobot said:

Wow, you all are dutifully rushing to register!
Bought ten rabbit cards, topped each 4K bht. Won’t need to register for awhile ????

Right now, if you don't register the worst that can happen is you may not be able to re-load your card.

BUT

Since this is a government initiative (like mobile registration was) there's nothing to stop the government instructing the providers to disable unregistered cards in the same way as they disabled unregistered mobiles. The government may also instruct that the funds on these disabled cards be forfeit (it is after all an anti money laundering provision).

As others have noted, it's not exactly difficult to register your card, it's not as if they don't already have your data lurking somewhere in a pile of paperwork, or even a computer (and of course, your phone registration).

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Privacy. OK. The Rabbit Patrol is gonna tell the NSA where I am. As if they already dont know with their acres upon acres of Supercomputers (probably including quantum ones).

But hey, you got the money, you pays the fee, all is good. Im registered so Im good.

Hmmmhhh, I am from immigration, you just gave me a good idea, I will match the overstay database with the rabbit card movements in Bangkok. A couple of days work for my Vietnamese techies and I'll catch hundreds...

Archived