Rabbit registration fiasco - Beware!

setbkk

Sorry, not to hijack but I have a question.

I went to top up my free Rabbit card. The BTS clerk needed a mobile signal. I only use Wi-Fi.

Okay, so next time, turn on mobile signal few minutes.

My question is can I use the Rabbit card without the mobile connection? Does it just balance to the app when connected?

Meaning, ride the BTS without mobile data on or with no phone at all?

It stands to reason I should not need to carry a phone to use the bloody card. Thailand is insane.

Why can't it just be a simple stored value card?! Already tired if seeing pay with Rabbit everywhere. Wht would I do that!

Finally, every time I top up surely I don't need my passport correct?

All this bullshit just for a card to ride the BTS so I don't have to stand in the huge queue of insane tourists and sundry idiots.

FTW seriously!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Sorry, not to hijack but I have a question.

I went to top up my free Rabbit card. The BTS clerk needed a mobile signal. I only use Wi-Fi.

Okay, so next time, turn on mobile signal few minutes.

My question is can I use the Rabbit card without the mobile connection? Does it just balance to the app when connected?

Meaning, ride the BTS without mobile data on or with no phone at all?

It stands to reason I should not need to carry a phone to use the bloody card. Thailand is insane.

Why can't it just be a simple stored value card?! Already tired if seeing pay with Rabbit everywhere. Wht would I do that!

Finally, every time I top up surely I don't need my passport correct?

All this bullshit just for a card to ride the BTS so I don't have to stand in the huge queue of insane tourists and sundry idiots.

FTW seriously!

what ever are you babbling about? its a stored value card

23 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

what ever are you babbling about? its a stored value card

It is but it seems to need an app linked to it. So it not a simple stored value card. Top it and go. Drama. Why do I need an app to ride the BTS and why does mobile data need be on to top up and ??? dunno maybe even ride.

37 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

It is but it seems to need an app linked to it. So it not a simple stored value card. Top it and go. Drama. Why do I need an app to ride the BTS and why does mobile data need be on to top up and ??? dunno maybe even ride.

Theres no app you need dude. Seriously. Step back from the bong and chill.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Theres no app you need dude. Seriously. Step back from the bong and chill.

The woman at the BTS kiosk wouldn't fill my card without using the QR code in the Line app.

I was given the card by official Line promoters. I think they registered it. I've no idea. I hate Line and BTS. Surely a match made from hell below.

I don't smoke weed. You're not funny. If you can help, do so. If not move on.

10 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

The woman at the BTS kiosk wouldn't fill my card without using the QR code in the Line app.

I was given the card by official Line promoters. I think they registered it. I've no idea. I hate Line and BTS. Surely a match made from hell below.

I don't smoke weed. You're not funny. If you can help, do so. If not move on.

Heres a big help. Go to the kiosk, buy a card, fill it up.

12 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

I was given the card by official Line promoters. I think they registered it.

This is the reason. Regular rabbit cards were always purchased from the bts window, stored value cards, topped up by cash at the same window. Over time more top up and payment options have been added, including linking the card to Linepay which has seems to have a booth in every station now. You've obviously been given a card that's already linked to this. 

I prefer the linked rabbit card as it gives discounts all over the place, but if you don't want it, nothing stopping you from going to the bts window with your passport and registering as a new customer for the regular stored value version. 

15 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Yeah, once you're registered to Rabbit Line Pay it's less than easy to top up with cash.

It is (at least theoretically) possible to un-link your card, but I'm not sure how it would work with a Line promotional card.

45 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, once you're registered to Rabbit Line Pay it's less than easy to top up with cash.

It is (at least theoretically) possible to un-link your card, but I'm not sure how it would work with a Line promotional card.

So, there are two cards? I can just toss the promo card and get a regular stored value card? Yeah, I'm not insane.

With the standard stored value I can top up with cash. Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This is the reason. Regular rabbit cards were always purchased from the bts window, stored value cards, topped up by cash at the same window. Over time more top up and payment options have been added, including linking the card to Linepay which has seems to have a booth in every station now. You've obviously been given a card that's already linked to this. 

I prefer the linked rabbit card as it gives discounts all over the place, but if you don't want it, nothing stopping you from going to the bts window with your passport and registering as a new customer for the regular stored value version. 

Thanks. Yeah it has a ton of discounts but I don't see any I'll use.

My issue: if I use this Line card, must I be connected to the internet when using it? Nit only for purchase (yes), but when I actually use the card thru the turnstile. Not so much issue for top up, but riding BTS is a deal breaker.

Also usually using the discounts mobile data need be on. Dtac is cool you can dial a code.

Thank you

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

My issue: if I use this Line card, must I be connected to the internet when using it? Nit only for purchase (yes), but when I actually use the card thru the turnstile. Not so much issue for top up, but riding BTS is a deal breaker.

No, when using the card for pretty much everything you don't need to be connected. It should just keep topped up from your Line Pay account until that runs out of course. It's the Line Pay account that you are topping up with cash. You can use your credit card or bank account to re-fill when you reach a certain level, never queue for a ticket ever again.

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No, when using the card for pretty much everything you don't need to be connected. It should just keep topped up from your Line Pay account until that runs out of course. It's the Line Pay account that you are topping up with cash. You can use your credit card or bank account to re-fill when you reach a certain level, never queue for a ticket ever again.

Thanks. Yes, I've toyed around with the app. Line pay just as crazy complicated as Line. Japanese make things that are so sensible. I don't understand.

Anyway, I think I will try topping up with SCB ATM.

Yes, I absolutely need to avoid the BTS lines of insanity.

Thanks again and my apologies for hijacking the thread. It wasn't my intention.

1 minute ago, ozmeldo said:

Line pay just as crazy complicated as Line.

I have the same problem, must be the older brain isn't wired like the youngsters.

If I can't make Line do what I want I have an excellent Thai lady engineer working for me, she just presses a few buttons and all is fine, until the next time.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:25 PM, Dinobot said:

Well, I thought I’d try to top up again today after the new rules supposedly went into effect just for the hell of it. Surprisingly, I was able to top up no problem and no registration needed.

I guess the joke’s on me!

That's interesting... Wonder if that's still the case now a week later.

FWIW, my Thai wife knew nothing about all this, so a few days back, when we were passing thru a BTS station, I stopped at one of the windows on the train side (I think it's best to avoid the regular ticketing customer service queues for this purpose) and got an agent to ask about registering my wife's two regular Rabbit cards.

The BTS staffer took my wife's Thai ID card, her two Rabbit cards, and had her write her mobile phone number on a slip of paper, went over to the other end of the booth, typed some stuff for a minute or two, and came back and handed everything back to my wife. No problem, no hassle.

FWIW, although I didn't realize it at the time, the station we stopped at had a computer printed paper notice pasted to the window, in Thai language only, advising about the card registration requirement. But nothing comparable posted in EN that we saw.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:28 PM, Crossy said:

Actually, linking Rabbit Card to LINE Pay is only beneficial for mobile LINE app members, since BTS can now access their money account.  Not so great for NFC cash card users, since there is no more stored value on it.  You can't top it up by itself.   You can't purchase food by itself.  You must use the QR-code in the LINE Pay App.

It's great that the two companies merged separate electronic payment systems (online/mobile and NFC POS).  And, it's convenient for LINE Pay customers or mobile app users, but it isn't really for Rabbit Card owners.  It's one step forward, two steps back for cash card members.  I.e.  your linked Rabbit LINE Pay Card can only be used at specific BTS turnstiles.  No fast-track or manual gate by the ticket booth.  And, no longer can be used to purchase at retail merchants (McD, FamilyMart, food court, cinema), since there is zero cash balance in it.  Only the QR code in the LINE Pay App is usable, so it takes time to open it up and access the central server.  Then, it's more time for the scanner and cashier.  So, you must have your mobile phone with you at all times, and with some battery charge and some data package.  Whereas, before, you can rely on just your Rabbit cash card (no phone, no battery, no 4G/WiFi) to buy, eat, and travel.  I was not too happy that I couldn't use my Rabbit Card (linked with LINE Pay) or even LINE Pay App at Family Mart, because they hadn't installed the QR-code scanners.  Thus, I lost ability to access my funds at Family Mart.  The ability to access LINE Pay account should have been two way and activated for NFC Rabbit Cards.  Not extremely limited usage (at BTS).  You can purchase a second Rabbit Card, but I ended up unlinking it.  They need to look at how Octopus in HKG or EZ-Link/NETS Flash Pay in SG is implemented.  So versatile and convenient...

On 2/14/2019 at 11:44 PM, Crossy said:

Right now, if you don't register the worst that can happen is you may not be able to re-load your card.

BUT

Since this is a government initiative (like mobile registration was) there's nothing to stop the government instructing the providers to disable unregistered cards in the same way as they disabled unregistered mobiles. The government may also instruct that the funds on these disabled cards be forfeit (it is after all an anti money laundering provision).

As others have noted, it's not exactly difficult to register your card, it's not as if they don't already have your data lurking somewhere in a pile of paperwork, or even a computer (and of course, your phone registration).

phone registration, every time you change money, the place where you're staying, all have your passport and any other information you provide. if you want any real privacy then thailand is not the place for you. indeed owning a mobile phone or accessing the internet in any country in the world is probably not for you. and to be honest, that might not be a bad life.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:38 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wonder if that's still the case now a week later.

To answer my own question posed above, I was out and around in BKK today when my regular Rabbit BTS card ran out of its stored value, and I needed to add some cash to it.

When I went to do so, the BTS agent checked my card, declared it hadn't been registered, and said he couldn't refill it unless I registered it with my passport and Thai mobile phone number. I told him I wasn't carrying my passport with me, he then asked if I had a copy, and I showed him the laminated passport facepage and extension stamp card I keep in my wallet, and that was acceptable to him.

He ended up typing and clicking a bunch of stuff on the regular computer screen and terminal he had at his workstation, and it probably took him about 3 minutes to complete that process while everyone else stood in line behind me.

So apparently yes, now by the 26th of Feb., BTS does seem to be enforcing the card registration rule.

I just topped up my Rabbit card at BTS Ekkamai and was NOT asked for identification. I did choose the place and time carefully (no queue at all) and did take my passport along just in case.

Maybe enforcement is spotty as so often, or maybe it's because my Rabbit card is (also) a Bangkok Bank visa debit card. As the bank obviously knows all about me and registered me for Rabbit Rewards, there really shouldn't be a need for more. But yes, I read what other members found in the FAQs, so who knows!

2 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I had to write down my address as well, so the whole process took more than a couple of minutes. Luckily no people behind me queuing.

Never asked me about my home address... And I don't think that was supposed to be part of the info being required.

But as usual with everything here, enforcement and consistency are spotty and lacking.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Maybe enforcement is spotty as so often, or maybe it's because my Rabbit card is (also) a Bangkok Bank visa debit card. As the bank obviously knows all about me and registered me for Rabbit Rewards, there really shouldn't be a need for more.

As I mentioned above, my is/was just a regular non-bank and non-LINE Rabbit card... different from yours.

Had a similar experience to the OP, I did the registration way way out near the end of the new BTS extension which was close to being empty at 6:30pm on Sunday.... it took between 20 and 25 minutes to complete and by the end of it there was a line of 15 people at least waiting to get change or top up the card.  If all Rabbit cards (new or existing) must get registered, they will have to hire more staff that are dedicated just for that (there was only one on staff at my BTS station).

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Next time you should ask if it needs to be registered....

I'd rather not. I had my passport with me anyway but if I have the choice between zero inconvenience or asking for inconvenience I'm always going to choose the former. 

Archived