BANGKOK 22 February 2019 01:44
setbkk

Rabbit registration fiasco - Beware!

Sorry, not to hijack but I have a question.

I went to top up my free Rabbit card. The BTS clerk needed a mobile signal. I only use Wi-Fi.

Okay, so next time, turn on mobile signal few minutes.

My question is can I use the Rabbit card without the mobile connection? Does it just balance to the app when connected?

Meaning, ride the BTS without mobile data on or with no phone at all?

It stands to reason I should not need to carry a phone to use the bloody card. Thailand is insane.

Why can't it just be a simple stored value card?! Already tired if seeing pay with Rabbit everywhere. Wht would I do that!

Finally, every time I top up surely I don't need my passport correct?

All this bullshit just for a card to ride the BTS so I don't have to stand in the huge queue of insane tourists and sundry idiots.

FTW seriously!

Edited by ozmeldo

32 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Sorry, not to hijack but I have a question.

I went to top up my free Rabbit card. The BTS clerk needed a mobile signal. I only use Wi-Fi.

Okay, so next time, turn on mobile signal few minutes.

My question is can I use the Rabbit card without the mobile connection? Does it just balance to the app when connected?

Meaning, ride the BTS without mobile data on or with no phone at all?

It stands to reason I should not need to carry a phone to use the bloody card. Thailand is insane.

Why can't it just be a simple stored value card?! Already tired if seeing pay with Rabbit everywhere. Wht would I do that!

Finally, every time I top up surely I don't need my passport correct?

All this bullshit just for a card to ride the BTS so I don't have to stand in the huge queue of insane tourists and sundry idiots.

FTW seriously!

what ever are you babbling about? its a stored value card

23 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

what ever are you babbling about? its a stored value card

It is but it seems to need an app linked to it. So it not a simple stored value card. Top it and go. Drama. Why do I need an app to ride the BTS and why does mobile data need be on to top up and ??? dunno maybe even ride.

Edited by ozmeldo

37 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

It is but it seems to need an app linked to it. So it not a simple stored value card. Top it and go. Drama. Why do I need an app to ride the BTS and why does mobile data need be on to top up and ??? dunno maybe even ride.

Theres no app you need dude. Seriously. Step back from the bong and chill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Theres no app you need dude. Seriously. Step back from the bong and chill.

The woman at the BTS kiosk wouldn't fill my card without using the QR code in the Line app.

I was given the card by official Line promoters. I think they registered it. I've no idea. I hate Line and BTS. Surely a match made from hell below.

I don't smoke weed. You're not funny. If you can help, do so. If not move on.

10 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

The woman at the BTS kiosk wouldn't fill my card without using the QR code in the Line app.

I was given the card by official Line promoters. I think they registered it. I've no idea. I hate Line and BTS. Surely a match made from hell below.

I don't smoke weed. You're not funny. If you can help, do so. If not move on.

Heres a big help. Go to the kiosk, buy a card, fill it up.

12 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

I was given the card by official Line promoters. I think they registered it.

This is the reason. Regular rabbit cards were always purchased from the bts window, stored value cards, topped up by cash at the same window. Over time more top up and payment options have been added, including linking the card to Linepay which has seems to have a booth in every station now. You've obviously been given a card that's already linked to this. 

I prefer the linked rabbit card as it gives discounts all over the place, but if you don't want it, nothing stopping you from going to the bts window with your passport and registering as a new customer for the regular stored value version. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Yeah, once you're registered to Rabbit Line Pay it's less than easy to top up with cash.

It is (at least theoretically) possible to un-link your card, but I'm not sure how it would work with a Line promotional card.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, once you're registered to Rabbit Line Pay it's less than easy to top up with cash.

It is (at least theoretically) possible to un-link your card, but I'm not sure how it would work with a Line promotional card.

So, there are two cards? I can just toss the promo card and get a regular stored value card? Yeah, I'm not insane.

With the standard stored value I can top up with cash. Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This is the reason. Regular rabbit cards were always purchased from the bts window, stored value cards, topped up by cash at the same window. Over time more top up and payment options have been added, including linking the card to Linepay which has seems to have a booth in every station now. You've obviously been given a card that's already linked to this. 

I prefer the linked rabbit card as it gives discounts all over the place, but if you don't want it, nothing stopping you from going to the bts window with your passport and registering as a new customer for the regular stored value version. 

Thanks. Yeah it has a ton of discounts but I don't see any I'll use.

My issue: if I use this Line card, must I be connected to the internet when using it? Nit only for purchase (yes), but when I actually use the card thru the turnstile. Not so much issue for top up, but riding BTS is a deal breaker.

Also usually using the discounts mobile data need be on. Dtac is cool you can dial a code.

Thank you

Edited by ozmeldo

1 hour ago, ozmeldo said:

My issue: if I use this Line card, must I be connected to the internet when using it? Nit only for purchase (yes), but when I actually use the card thru the turnstile. Not so much issue for top up, but riding BTS is a deal breaker.

No, when using the card for pretty much everything you don't need to be connected. It should just keep topped up from your Line Pay account until that runs out of course. It's the Line Pay account that you are topping up with cash. You can use your credit card or bank account to re-fill when you reach a certain level, never queue for a ticket ever again.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No, when using the card for pretty much everything you don't need to be connected. It should just keep topped up from your Line Pay account until that runs out of course. It's the Line Pay account that you are topping up with cash. You can use your credit card or bank account to re-fill when you reach a certain level, never queue for a ticket ever again.

Thanks. Yes, I've toyed around with the app. Line pay just as crazy complicated as Line. Japanese make things that are so sensible. I don't understand.

Anyway, I think I will try topping up with SCB ATM.

Yes, I absolutely need to avoid the BTS lines of insanity.

Thanks again and my apologies for hijacking the thread. It wasn't my intention.

1 minute ago, ozmeldo said:

Line pay just as crazy complicated as Line.

I have the same problem, must be the older brain isn't wired like the youngsters.

If I can't make Line do what I want I have an excellent Thai lady engineer working for me, she just presses a few buttons and all is fine, until the next time.

• Haha 1

Well, I thought I’d try to top up again today after the new rules supposedly went into effect just for the hell of it. Surprisingly, I was able to top up no problem and no registration needed.

I guess the joke’s on me!