Rabbit registration fiasco - Beware!

setbkk

On 2/26/2019 at 2:21 PM, K00lex said:

Actually, linking Rabbit Card to LINE Pay is only beneficial for mobile LINE app members, since BTS can now access their money account.  Not so great for NFC cash card users, since there is no more stored value on it.  You can't top it up by itself.   You can't purchase food by itself.  You must use the QR-code in the LINE Pay App.

My man in Rabbit informs me that they are in the process of upgrading the retail terminals to work properly with the Line Pay linked cards.

Unfortunately he couldn't tell me which had been done or when they would all be completed.

Until they are you will need to use the QR code system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I registered a few days ago. I had to do some banking so I had my passport on me.

The BTS ticket office didn't have a queue so I wandered over and gave the lady my passport and BTS Card. It took 3-4 minutes and it was done. She asked me to write down my phone number, which I believe she added into the computerised record.

Either that or she is taking her time before she sends me a message.

I added value to an unregistered card yesterday at Siam. Was not prompted to register it. Seems like they've backed off a bit, maybe as a result of long lines and push-back. Maybe they'll stretch it out, or just require all newly issued cards to be registered, and wait for the current cards to reach their five-year expiry?

Obviously, they should set up dedicated desks, as they do for single-ride, commonly-used denominations during peak travel times.

• 1 month later...

Just another fiasco Thailand is world famous for. They can't plan anything properly and people suffer as a result. Of course, they tend to be patient as their time is generally not very valuable (financially). 

A far better way to address the lack of foresight with the anti-money laundering implementation would have been to:

issue different Rabbit cards that were stored value only and not able to be used for purchases.

For foreigners (and especially foreign tourists), near 0% probably use Rabbit cards to pay for anything other than BTS rides. And, even for Thais, I would doubt a very high percentage use this silly Rabbit system for non-BTS fare purchases. 

It's just more idiocy creating absolute chaos at BTS stations. 

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Just another fiasco Thailand is world famous for. They can't plan anything properly and people suffer as a result. Of course, they tend to be patient as their time is generally not very valuable (financially). 

A far better way to address the lack of foresight with the anti-money laundering implementation would have been to:

issue different Rabbit cards that were stored value only and not able to be used for purchases.

For foreigners (and especially foreign tourists), near 0% probably use Rabbit cards to pay for anything other than BTS rides. And, even for Thais, I would doubt a very high percentage use this silly Rabbit system for non-BTS fare purchases. 

@Just Weird - which part do you disagree with?

Do you think it was handled well? 

Do you think the solution I've proposed (which is also the solution a prominent Thai proposed) is bad? 

35 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

@Just Weird - which part do you disagree with?

Do you think it was handled well? 

Do you think the solution I've proposed (which is also the solution a prominent Thai proposed) is bad? 

"- which part do you disagree with?"

Every paragraph in your comment with the exception of the penultimate one.

Yes, I think the registration system was handled well, show your ID, wait a minute while details are recorded and then on your way, registered.  Which other way could they have done it considering that it was done to comply with the law, it was not something that they were doing just for the hell of it?

Your solution would defeat the original object of the Rabbit card, i.e. using it for purchases, so, no, I do not think that would have been a solution.

If Rabbit cards are not used for anything else as you suggest then why do so many people use the Rabbit top-up machines?

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Which other way could they have done it considering that it was done to comply with the law, it was not something that they were doing just for the hell of it?

The anti money laundering laws were already in effect when they started to allow non-BTS purchases with Rabbit. 

So, they could have planned better at the outset. 

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Your solution would defeat the original object of the Rabbit card, i.e. using it for purchases, so, no, I do not think that would have been a solution.

NOT my solution. It's the solution suggested by a Thai. Do you now agree with it, since a Thai proposed it? Google:

"PAPERS PLEASE! BTS CASH CARD USERS MUST DISCLOSE PERSONAL Info" 

17 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

So, they could have planned better at the outset. 

NOT my solution. It's the solution suggested by a Thai. Do you now agree with it, since a Thai proposed it? Google:

"PAPERS PLEASE! BTS CASH CARD USERS MUST DISCLOSE PERSONAL Info" 

No, I do not agree with that, neither do I particularly disagree with it, I think it is too inconsequential to be that concerned about it. 

To register, I was asked for my passport,  name and address, my email address and a phone number, what's the big deal with that?  As a foreigner the PP and name and address are already in the government's system and no one checks that the email address or phone number is correct, do they?  If you supply a current email address and phone number and you are that paranoid just get yourself a new email address and phone number.

I know that you are probably now going to say "why should I have to get a new phone number and email address in order to use the Rabbit card" but you don't have to.  What possible harm can come from disclosing those details that you have probably disclosed to many previously, have there ever been any issues or consequences in the past?

No, I do not agree with that, neither do I particularly disagree with it, I think it is too inconsequential to be that concerned about it. 

To register, I was asked for my passport,  name and address, my email address and a phone number, what's the big deal with that?  As a foreigner the PP and name and address are already in the government's system and no one checks that the email address or phone number is correct, do they?  If you supply a current email address and phone number and you are that paranoid just get yourself a new email address and phone number.

I know that you are probably now going to say "why should I have to get a new phone number and email address in order to use the Rabbit card" but you don't have to.  What possible harm can come from disclosing those details that you have probably disclosed to many previously, have there ever been any issues or consequences in the past?

If you like where Thailand is headed you’ll LOOOOVE China. In addition to the things you like about Rabbit registration they have facial recognition in the airports, AI number crunching your likely future habits, “social credit” to rate your past ones, and that’s just to start! These handy security precautions and many more make the Chinese population and visiting foreigners much safer.

4 hours ago, balo said:

I topped up my old Rabbit card last week at Asoke BTS . Nobody asked me for an ID , so maybe this is only for new customers ?

It's supposed to be for all customers - however I've not yet been asked to register, despite having made three or four top ups since the announcement. On a related note, I was surprised at being unable to use Linepay tonight until I go through a "confirm identity" procedure - seems to be a requirement under the latest Line app update. 

On 5/3/2019 at 8:53 AM, Fex Bluse said:

how are people suffering?

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

how are people suffering?

Long queues. 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If your anonymity is that important to you just use cash.

Long queues. 

17 hours ago, Dinobot said:

If you like where Thailand is headed you’ll LOOOOVE China. In addition to the things you like about Rabbit registration they have facial recognition in the airports, AI number crunching your likely future habits, “social credit” to rate your past ones, and that’s just to start! These handy security precautions and many more make the Chinese population and visiting foreigners much safer.

Did I say that "I liked" the registration process?  No, I didn't

Did I say that "I liked the way Thailand is heading"?  No, I didn't.

In your mind only, where is Thailand "heading" exactly and what has any of that, particularly China, got to do with my comment?  

I can see why some people are against sharing personal information on systems like this

obviously I read that you can also give them fake email or mobile number

here's an example, I have had the same number in Thailand for almost 6 years now, I have never given it away to anyone apart from Lazada, Immigration and a few others

a few years back, when I first got it, I went to get my drivers license, they had a part for cell number (it was the first time I disclosed it)

then I started getting cold calls from the DeVere group, they were calling me directly by name and knew I was living close to Hua hin.

= someone at the drivers license place skimming and selling the personal information

same thing with email but I have a way around it, I have my own domain so every time I get asked for an email address I give them a unique and personalized email address, in this case I would use either rabbit@ mydomain.com or rabbitcard@ mydomain.com (not my email obv) then any email sent to my any addresses under my domain gets forwarded to my inbox and it will show exactly which address it was sent from/to, so when the spam or unwanted emails start coming in so I can tell who shared my information.

some people might this is being paranoid but I think it cost me under 10$ a year

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ might be interesting to some of you guys

12 minutes ago, kekalot said:

{snipped}

same thing with email but I have a way around it, I have my own domain so every time I get asked for an email address I give them a unique and personalized email address, in this case I would use either rabbit@ mydomain.com or rabbitcard@ mydomain.com (not my email obv) then any email sent to my any addresses under my domain gets forwarded to my inbox and it will show exactly which address it was sent from/to, so when the spam or unwanted emails start coming in so I can tell who shared my information.

some people might this is being paranoid but I think it cost me under 10$ a year

https://haveibeenpwned.com/ might be interesting to some of you guys

I have my own domain and can use any individual email I want for the same reason.

Oddly, I know that someone from paypal must have passed on my paypal email, as I occasionally get sales emails for designer handbags and jewellery.

I have never had the problems you describe and I have given my number away to a dozen online shopping sites and government offices. And many apps on my phone. 
I receive spam like anyone else but that goes in the spam folder.  

I am not worried. 

Archived