Register USA Marriage at Amphur

Can someone please explain the steps to register your marriage in Thailand? We are moving soon from USA to Thailand and heard that it is best to register at the Amphur. We already have a USA marriage certificate.

Do you have to go to the USA embassy? or MFA to complete this step?

Thank you

The first step is to do a affidavit at the US embassy stating that your marriage certificate is valid. You will need to make a appointment. Info can be found here. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

Then you will have to have the statement and your marriage certificate translated to Thai and have the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

Then you will go to to a Amphoe to register your foreign marriage to obtain a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The first step is to do a affidavit at the US embassy stating that your marriage certificate is valid. You will need to make a appointment. Info can be found here. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

Then you will have to have the statement and your marriage certificate translated to Thai and have the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

Then you will go to to a Amphoe to register your foreign marriage to obtain a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry.

Thank you

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Does the Amphoe require the USA passport be certified to register the foreign marriage?

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not certain about that. There are some Amphoes that come up with some strange requirements. The only way to know with any certainty is to ask them what is needed.

Really shouldn't be required, but your correct, always better to check with the requirements of the local Amphoe first.

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, raptorea said:

Does the Amphoe require the USA passport be certified to register the foreign marriage?

Do you know if there are services that will take the translated copies to the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok for you? Or do you have take yourself and have done, Also is an appointment required to get this done?

Thank you

On 2/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, ubonjoe said:

Do you know if there are services that will take the translated copies to the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok for you? Or do you have take yourself and have done, Also is an appointment required to get this done?

Thank you

19 minutes ago, raptorea said:

Do you know if there are services that will take the translated copies to the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok for you?

Yes they will do the translation certification for a small additional fee. 

I am sure all of those listed here can do it. 

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/translators_internet_service_photographers.pdf

You can also have them send them to you by EMS so you don't have to wait around for it to be done.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they will do the translation certification for a small additional fee. 

I am sure all of those listed here can do it. 

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/translators_internet_service_photographers.pdf

You can also have them send them to you by EMS so you don't have to wait around for it to be done.

Great Thank you so much!!

17 minutes ago, raptorea said:

Do you know what the wait time is to get the certification/translation done? We would like to wait for it in Bangkok instead of having EMS. Thank you

I did it last week and the translation at the MFA took 15min but officialy it's advertised as 1h.

Certification took about 30min to submit the papers but I was told I could not get them back the same day (it was the day before songkran). Officialy you bring your paper before noon and they start giving them back after 14:30. I took EMS and it tooks 2 business day to receive them. 

Edited by Tayaout

37 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

some Amphurs require your passport to be translated as well and certified .(god knows why) its a passport for gods sake !!

How do they certify your passport. Does the MFA take your passport and stamp it? 

2 hours ago, raptorea said:

How do they certify your passport. Does the MFA take your passport and stamp it? 

The Embassy take a copy and certify it.

The copy is translated, then the copy and translation are legalised by the MFA

We are moving soon from USA to Thailand and heard that it is best to register at the Amphur. We already have a USA marriage certificate.

Sounds like a lot of bother for nothing. My 20 years in Thailand, and 40 year old USA marriage certificate with Thai wife, have been more than adequate -- believe I only showed my marriage certificate, plus wife's blue book, as proof of residence. Now, maybe a Thai wedding might need an Amphur registration -- as proof for some USA wifely benefits. But, dunno about that either. Anyway, before you knock yourself out, suggest a little more research on necessity.

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Sounds like a lot of bother for nothing. My 20 years in Thailand, and 40 year old USA marriage certificate with Thai wife, have been more than adequate -- believe I only showed my marriage certificate, plus wife's blue book, as proof of residence. Now, maybe a Thai wedding might need an Amphur registration -- as proof for some USA wifely benefits. But, dunno about that either. Anyway, before you knock yourself out, suggest a little more research on necessity.

If you wanted to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage you would have to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to Kor Ror 22 marriage registry that immigration requires.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

I am not certain about that. There are some Amphoes that come up with some strange requirements. The only way to know with any certainty is to ask them what is needed.

I even needed to certify the copy of my Thai ID at the MFA when I got married at Bang Rak.????

On 4/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, raptorea said:

Thank you

They have a branch at MRT station Khlong Toei where you can get your things legalized.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:50 AM, raptorea said:

Thank you

pm sent to assist you. 

Online (only) appointment at the US embassy is mandatory but you can get everything that you need to do there at the Embassy in one appointment (as log as you specify in your appointment details exactly what and how many different services you are requesting). 

Follow the instructions online and make sure you print out and bring your appointment letter, passport and a copy of the details page of your passport and get there 15 minutes early (you will be allowed to enter the building up to 15 minutes early).

After getting through the security screening (turn off your phone and they will take it from you and give you a wristband to wear), walk out the door to the courtyard and follow the sidewalk/pathway (stay to the right) and go past the outdoor courtyard seating area until you come to a glass door at the end of the sidewalk.  Go in to the A/C room and follow the signs (window #3 first to check your documents if I remember correctly).

Your wife will not be allowed inside the Embassy with you for your appointment (unless she is a US citizen).  She can wait outside the building if you so choose.

Translation and MFA authentication can be done by an official translation agency (which is fairly cheap) and no appointment is necessary with the translator. I sent you a pm with the translator I used and highly recommend them. They are located right next to the US Embassy.  

Good luck

Edited by MeePeeMai