Stubbed/Cut Toe Khaosan Road

Bangkokuser

Just got to Bangkok, first time and first night. Went out in my flip flops and didn’t see a step in a bar on Khaosan road. Hit the tip of my toe which started to bleed. There was a clinic across the street. They cleaned it for me, put antibiotic ointment on and wrapped it. They recommended antibiotic pil’s but i didn’t have enough cash on me at the time (I wasn’t expecting to go out when I did). What level of risk am I at for an infection here if I do not take antibiotic pills? I would prefer not to take them but if it is life vs death I will have to get some.

Thanks

In all likelihood antibiotic tablets are unnecessary - in Thailand they are dished out for almost anything. You can buy them over the counter at any pharmacy if you feel you need them. 

Just follow common sense - treat the wound regularly (Betadine / antiseptic creme) keep it clean and covered - and wear trainers when you are out at night. 

If it's kept clean, you should be fine. I've had lots of cuts and scrapes from being careless in Thailand and they always healed up just fine. Just be aware that if you develop a fever, or if the toe swells up, or gives out a smelly or discoloured fluid, go back to a pharmacy.

You'll most likely be fine.

BUT

Watch out for anything unusual even if you don't think it's related to your injury. Infections can develop very rapidly here and get nasty if not caught in time.

See here:-

Heres a tip: Ditch the open toe footwear.

Think of laying open a toe or two on a piece of rusty, *h*t encrusted sewer pipe that is leading from a demolition job on an old TB/AIDS clinic.

Or stepping into a festering puddle of piss/grease water.

Or that scoogy lump of brown stinky paste that ooozed all over your feet.....

Gimme a set of Keens for light work and Merrils for heavy. Your feet hold you up, worship them.

THank you everyone for the feedback, i appreciate your input. Honestly i am staying at a hostel and had just put the flip flops on to grab a drink at the bar downstairs, i had left a set of shoes and socks out in my room to change into anticipting meeting another friend later on. but peope from my hostel were going out and I decided to tag along and stupidly didn’t change. 

I will go pick up some betadine and ointment and keep my feet covered and keep an eye on my toe. Happy to get feedback anyone else may have as this did definitely worry me. Saw a bunch of horror stories on google 

They overuse antibiotics in Thailand.

Proper treatment for this is to clean the wound well and keep a sterile gauze over it until it forms a scab/is no longer open at which point simple band aid will do.

If the area around it turns red, swollen and painful then see a doctor as that would indicate infection setting in.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

They overuse antibiotics in Thailand.

Proper treatment for this is to clean the wound well and keep a sterile gauze over it until it forms a scab/is no longer open at which point simple band aid will do.

If the area around it turns red, swollen and painful then see a doctor as that would indicate infection setting in.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Very good advice Doc. I once had a small fissure on my heal which I ignored and It got infected. It quickly became very nasty and when I did see the doctor and he was very concerned.

So yes, watch out for infection. and get it treated quickly if it does develop.

I agree about your comment about antibiotics. I had a badly grazed knee a while ago. Our local clinic did a good job of cleaning it up and dressing it for me and then gave me a pack of penicillin tabs, despite the fact that there was no evidence of infection. Didn't even ask if I was allergic to the stuff.

There is a good reason why every 7/11, Tesco Mini, Big C mini, Family mart, etc have bottles of blue alcohol and saline on the shelf.  Thais are very good at looking after minor cuts and abrasions before they get inflected and become major issues. My wife has a few bottles around the house and one in the car.  Cuts get treated immediately, washed out  with the alcohol  and dried.  Fingers crossed and touching wood, so far, none of us have had a cut inflected.  

Archived