Governor orders Phuket dog shelter to ‘brace for influx’

rooster59

Governor orders Phuket dog shelter to ‘brace for influx’ 

By The Phuket News

1549694283_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana (2nd from left) has ordered officials operating the Phuket Stray Dog Shelter in Thalang to prepare for a marked increase in the number of dogs arriving at the shelter once the campaign to eliminate rabies and round up all the unclaimed, infected dogs across the island begins in March. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana has ordered officials operating the Phuket Stray Dog Shelter in Thalang to prepare for a marked increase in the number of dogs arriving at the shelter once the campaign to eliminate rabies and round up all the unclaimed, infected dogs across the island begins in March.

All dangerous dogs will be removed from public areas, he added.

Governor Phakaphong inspected the Phuket Stray Dog Shelter in Thalang on Wednesday (Feb 6).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/governor-orders-phuket-dog-shelter-to-brace-for-influx-70337.php#de8i9jQGKfkH2WfS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-09

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

Why wait??

I wondered about this too, but little of this makes sense.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

and round up all the unclaimed, infected dogs across the island begins in March.

How on earth would they know whether dogs are "infected"???

Is there any info. yet on where the one dog that was sick enough to be taken in by Soi Dogs (where they subsequently suspected rabies, hence the autopsy) came from?

My wife's currently nursing two large road rash wounds from hitting a dog on her scooter,her friend has a broken leg from another dog /scooter crash.man in mamas village died last week after smashing his head from hitting dog outside his house.my mrs said our village is the worst see has ever known of and it's getting worse daily.just spotted a pack of puppies at the end of our soi that will be thrown out once thy aren't cute anymore.we could do with a serious outbreak of distemper and rabies around here and have a cull.all this Buddhist stuff about not killing things is a load of crap.i see them kill everything they can get their hands on.young lad in village last month with pics showing he shot a fishing cat for fun.they kill everything but dogs.

7 hours ago, Christophers200 said:

How many cases of rabies have been recorded in Phuket over the last ten years? AFAIK Phuket is rabies free. 

Nothing will seriously be done until a tourist is bitten and contracts the disease, and it is in the media in their home country.  

Archived