Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

rooster59

Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

full-retirement-portfolio1.jpg

Many of the destinations popular with expats and foreign retirees to Thailand are some of the most expensive cities to live in ASEAN.

According to price aggregation website Numbeo, Bangkok is the second most expensive city to live in ASEAN, behind Singapore.

Phuket (4th), Pattaya (6th) and Chiang Mai (8th) also featured in the top 10 of ASEAN cities with the highest cost of living, in Numbeo’s Cost of Living Index for January 2019.

Numbeo claims to be the “world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide”.

Numbeo ranks a location in its Cost of Living Index by analysing a variety of factors such as rent, cost of utilities, food, transportation and more.

The website boasts 4,983,790 prices in 8,819 cities entered by 417,620 contributors around the world.

The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent.

Chiang Mai, where a single person's monthly costs are 16,248.11฿ without rent, was found to be cheaper to live than Bangkok.

In Pattaya a single person monthly costs, 16,984.13฿ without rent, while was found to be slightly cheaper than the Eastern Seaboard resort where 16,825.81฿ without rent was a single person monthly costs.

For families, Numbeo said that monthly costs for a four person family in Bangkok was 75,851.11฿ not including rent.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-10

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent..."

21,017 a month WITHOUT rent? What the hell do people do in Bangkok that is so expensive?

I live on Koh Samui, modestly but comfortably, for around that much including rent.

PS To be fair, I neither smoke nor drink; those are two of the more expensive habits...

43 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent..."

21,017 a month WITHOUT rent? What the hell do people do in Bangkok that is so expensive?

I live on Koh Samui, modestly but comfortably, for around that much including rent.

PS To be fair, I neither smoke nor drink; those are two of the more expensive habits...

Exactly.....me same same in Bangkok for more than a decennium ????

"Many of the destinations popular with expats and foreign retirees to Thailand are some of the most expensive cities to live in ASEAN."

And best of all, retirees get to deposit into a Thai bank 800,000 baht, which does not accrue interest, for the privilege of living among people who love and appreciate how much they contribute to the local economy.  

I have watched my standard of living being eroded over fifteen years.  My state pension has been frozen by the UK Gov.  Thailand continues to inflate prices for staple food stuffs/services.  I am teetering on the brink of emigrating - new Immigration rules may push me over the edge.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have lived in Bangkok for the last 20 years - I could not survive on 21k. Or perhaps to rephrase that - I could not live a life I would like in Bangkok on that. Its become very expensive and thats why I am planning to relocate now.

That Numbeo site comes from fantasy land. Its calculations include ridiculous things like designer jeans and leather shoes and expensive primary school education. I dont know anyone here who buys things like that. Such items cost the earth in Thailand and completely skew the final result. I imagine that the same applies elsewhere also.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

even more hilarious

Don't see what's hilarious there. Numbeo is an excellent resource, that reconciles inputs collected from its users. 

Just to give an idea for a family of 4 in issan:

"Wife allowance" 20 k

Health insurance + deductibles 25k

Electricity/water             6k

Police (red box + other) 1k

School                         4k

Cars Ins+petrol+main      8k  

Gardener                       6k

Internet                         1k

So we are at 81k without even mentionning food/wine/clothing/holidays etc...

Bottom line is for a normal middle class life I'll need 200k, since we are still improving the house I am still denting my savings. and I have given up on the pool.

Just now, MRToMRT said:

I have lived in Bangkok for the last 20 years - I could not survive on 21k. Or perhaps to rephrase that - I could not live a life I would in Bangkok on that.

It all depends on what you do. If you like drinking wine in trendy bars in the company of avaricious Thai women then Bangkok could cost you several thousand Baht per day. Personally I would not be seen dead in anything trendy and would much rather sit at home on my own listening to my own music and enjoying the view from my condo window, with a big bottle of Asahi beer on the table. Net cost about 70B per evening and leaves me with nothing more to be desired.

Even eating out in Bangkok can cost a fortune or a pittance, depending on where you go and how sensible you are.

3 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Don't see what's hilarious there. Numbeo is an excellent resource, that reconciles inputs collected from its users. 

"Wife allowance" 20 k

Bottom line is for a normal middle class life I'll need 200k, since we are still improving the house I am still denting my savings. and I have given up on the pool.

If I was giving a "wife allowance" of 20k, I would almost certainly expect her to do some of the gardening !

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That Numbeo site comes from fantasy land. Its calculations include ridiculous things like designer jeans and leather shoes and expensive primary school education. I dont know anyone here who buys things like that. Such items cost the earth in Thailand and completely skew the final result. I imagine that the same applies elsewhere also.

Yeah right? Who wears nice jeans, leather shoes and wants to put their kids into decent schools? Perish the thought. Flip flops a Chang singlet and no school for my kids. They'll be right. Right? 

Ah Bangkok:

There are days when I eat on the street at 40 baht, and days when I dine in Chez Tres Chic at 1000.

There are 800 baht excursions to Kasalong, and 6000 baht excursions to Mixx.

There are 70 baht beers in front of 7-11, and 170 baht beers in Oscars...

All up to you

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

"Wife allowance" 20 k

Hmm.

My wife allowance: 0B (no wife)

Health insurance and deductibles: 0B (I dont work)

Electricity/water in my condo with the aircon on 24/7: under 2kB

Police: 0B

School: 0B

Car/fuel probably less than you, though I have never bothered to calculate it: maybe 5kB

Gardener: 0B

Internet: under 1kB

So that's 8kB compared to your 81kB, plus I get free peace and quiet thrown in. I'm rather glad I dont live in an Isaan house with a Thai family of 4.

2 minutes ago, starky said:

Yeah right? Who wears nice jeans, leather shoes and wants to put their kids into decent schools? Perish the thought. Flip flops a Chang singlet and no school for my kids. They'll be right. Right? 

I dont know anyone with children here at all. Most people I know here wear shorts, and those who wear jeans dont buy designer ones as far as I have noticed. As for flip-flops and singlets, I dont indulge in any of them nor do I know anyone who does.

But I do know people here who regularly spend 1500B or more per head on nice meals out or a nice bottle of wine. What we dont spend money on is the bizarre things described on that Numbeo site.

Just now, KiChakayan said:

"Wife allowance" 20 k

That gives me idea never to move with a "family" in Isaan. Bangkok seems like a bargain in comparison.

Thanks for that.

Ridiculous to even start to put a price on peoples lives. Cost of a haircut; anything between 30b and 3000b depending on your salon. Price of a meal; 40b in the street cafe, 4000b in a top restaurant. They run these stupid exercises to justify their own existence. 

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

"Wife allowance" 20 k

What is a police 'red box'? You're not bribing the mailman, are you?

14 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Many of the destinations popular with expats and foreign retirees to Thailand are some of the most expensive cities to live in ASEAN."

And best of all, retirees get to deposit into a Thai bank 800,000 baht, which does not accrue interest, for the privilege of living among people who love and appreciate how much they contribute to the local economy.  

Does accrue interest.

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

My budget in Bangkok after rent, phone, internet, etc, is 7,000 a week and I always have money left over. Since I've stopped going to pubs (for the most part), eating out, treating people, and stopped drinking (for the most part), it's probably less than 2000 a week and that's stretching it. Never smoked, thankfully...

For what it is worth, an Isan family of two, children live elsewhere.

Electricity.    5000

Water.            500

Police.          1000

Wife pocket.  10000

Car/motorbike 1000

Food and drink 10000

Insurances.     5000

Internet.         1500

Phones.            500

House maintenance 5000

Say a total of 40,000 a month

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Hmm.

My wife allowance: 0B (no wife)

Health insurance and deductibles: 0B (I dont work)

Electricity/water in my condo with the aircon on 24/7: under 2kB

Police: 0B

School: 0B

Car/fuel probably less than you, though I have never bothered to calculate it: maybe 5kB

Gardener: 0B

Internet: under 1kB

So that's 8kB compared to your 81kB, plus I get free peace and quiet thrown in. I'm rather glad I dont live in an Isaan house with a Thai family of 4.

Pretty similar for me. High-speed internet (only a little slower than my Spectrum internet in the U.S.) 750 baht, including VAT. Rent around 8,000 (counting fees), electric and water, less than 2000, MRT less than 200 per week, no spouse allowance here, but I help my kid and spouse back in U.S. out by paying the cable/internet bill and putting money towards property taxes and insurance (but where my house is those are pretty inexpensive, voluntary on my part), health insurance provided by my retirement system, paid for in U.S. less than $200. For me Bangkok is extremely inexpensive. Makes me curious which cities are lower in ASEAN....

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

// And best of all, retirees get to deposit into a Thai bank 800,000 baht, which does not accrue interest, //

Nothing mandatory. The 800k is one of several options for extension,

and money can be on a Fixed Deposit account giving +2% interest.

About the OP, seems to me really minimal cost of living :unsure:

I don't have extravagant spending but don't see how I could live with just 17'000B/month! :blink:

Archived