BANGKOK 20 April 2019 01:57
rooster59

Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

On 2/10/2019 at 7:34 PM, DrTuner said:

Yes, if you live to Euro standards Thailand is more expensive than Europe, I guess around 25% more. Drop to somchai level and it can be cheap.

It comes down to the reasons for being here.

Mine were, work then retirement, then divorced, then falling in lust with a pretty Thai lady.

But recent events and a fair bit of returning travel to the UK and Australia (family) have convinced me that the UK is the cheaper option on an Australian pension. 

Australia is expensive unless you have free accommodation.

Thailand, well we are all discussing this presently.

The UK even on today's exchange rate is way ahead for food, accommodation, travel....

Obviously the British will not see it that way.

My pension drops to $880 a fortnight and is portable. Out of Australia  

A bit of bank interest on top.

Just crap weather in the UK..

On 2/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, Vacuum said:

Leather shoes don't last long in Thailand (humidity).

Neither do Nike running shoes...

On 2/10/2019 at 10:25 AM, Pravda said:

No Thai rich or poor in their right mind will pay 80k on rent a month. That's the market for rich Chinese and dumb expats (and perhaps expats on expat packages).

Not true.

Admittedly I couldn't afford to pay 80,000 bht p.m rent - but some can, and it provides them with a far better house/location than they could afford to buy.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:15 PM, puukao said:

as a math reminder......paying off the house isn't the same as saying, "no rent, so zero per month."  one month (day) you paid say 5,000,000 baht, so it would make sense to average that out.....  if you live in the house for 15 years, then we are still talking about 2,800 per month.  and we all know there are many, many, many more expenses with a house.

then we can talk after you sell the house....er, i mean your wife's house.  lol

Again, everyone to their own.

I rent a house next to the beach, in a very quiet location.  There is no way I could afford to 'buy' the land in this location and build a house!  So I'm very happy to pay rent for something very close to my 'dream' 😀.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Don't get me going on private 'international' schools' 

When we moved to Thailand from Singapore, our son was right at the end of middle school.

From a fabulous elementary education in Singapore, I paid a fortune to subject him to the most awful High School education in Thailand.

There is a reason Thailand is is the basket case it is....education

You mean apart from the rampant corruption, vast numbers of ruthless criminals, scam artists and other assorted low-life scum?

Edited by ScammedInThailand
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ScammedInThailand said:

You mean apart from the rampant corruption, vast numbers of ruthless criminals, scam artists and other assorted low-life scum?

Well I didn't say it was the only reason, but it is a big one.

Now this will get apologist trolls going, but I'm assuming given your username, you had some 'issues'

Now there are criminals, crime, low lifes everywhere.

The difference from my perspective at least, that for most of us, we start off with a basic moral code, then you tend to go through life assuming that people are generally good, honest, not gonna rip you off etc, until proven otherwise.

For Thai's it's almost exactly the opposite. Corruption is endemic, but without changing their core moral code, that most of us grew up with, I just don't know how you fix it

Edited by GinBoy2

On 2/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, luckyluke said:

Priorities are different from one person to another, one's age is also an important factor.

After 15+ years in Pattaya, I decided, being 70, to live in Thonglor ( not the cheapest area of Bangkok ).

I like also to eat Camembert, Brie, Reblochon, or any other French cheese, or/and Serrano, Parma, Black Forest, ham in the morning with my baguette.

Having a beer ( a few in fact ) in a nice air conditioned place, stylish service, soft Jazz music in the background is also  among my actual desiderata. 

Not the cheapest choices, but my decision and my money. 

You sound like a bit of an ass.

I'd imagine this is all made up, and your reality of fine dining is a cheese ham toastie and large leo from a 7eleven.

• Haha 1

...Just for the record, I do like the toasties and will often treat myself to two, all washed down with one of Thailand's favourite Chang beers 🙂

Edited by j8k
  • Like 1