Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

rooster59

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I have watched my standard of living being eroded over fifteen years.  My state pension has been frozen by the UK Gov.  Thailand continues to inflate prices for staple food stuffs/services.  I am teetering on the brink of emigrating - new Immigration rules may push me over the edge.

I played with the idea of living in Pattaya when we were getting 60 - 70 baht to the GBP which was about fifteen years ago. 

Jesus, I'm so glad I decided not to, it's bad enough having to watch your spending when you're just on holiday in the LOS. And there is always the lurking fear of huge medical expenses as we get older.

If you have family and want to live in reasonable accomodation, give your 2 kids an education and be responsible and ensure that in the event of a medical emergency they will be properly cared for then this is the base line monthly cost:

Rent - 80K

School - 80K

Medical Insurance - 12K

That is the Vaseline and all of those can go upwards easily. That is 172K a month before anything else.

FAMILY accomodation (not single) in Bangkok is absolutely absurd now. It is more expensive to rent in Bangkok than Melbourne or Perth and maybe even Sydney. Family accomodation is certainly on par with Singapore if not more.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Personally I would not be seen dead in anything trendy and would much rather sit at home on my own listening to my own music and enjoying the view from my condo window, with a big bottle of Asahi beer on the table. Net cost about 70B per evening and leaves me with nothing more to be desired.

And good for you sir

I forgot to transfer some money last week, Friday night I announced to the wife we have 520 baht to live on this weekend.

Yes, I could use foreign atm card etc but its turned into a game now. Its interesting how you adjust your lifestyle to suit. A small carton of milk, one whiskey bottle of fuel in the bike, checking prices in 7/11 and restaurants, planning meals. I even bought Thai cigarettes instead of imported, Cheers beer. Wife is actually counting out change from that bowl on top of the fridge. believe it or not there is actually a cook-top and utensils in the kitchen, 7/11 sells eggs.

Sunday morning and it looks like we will make it through to Monday. evening meal will be dependant on how much toll money is in the centre console of the car. Wife has suggested we take guitar down to the beach tonight and start busking.

Just messing around but an interesting exercise as it does start to make you aware of what you spend money on and how much things cost. 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Chiang Mai, where a single person's monthly costs are 16,248.11฿ without rent, was found to be cheaper to live than Bangkok.

See all the sales staff at the local malls, restaurants, and stores throughout Chiang Mai?  They all make about 10K/mo.  Not sure where they are coming up with that extra 6,248.11 - or - the survey's sample was skewed toward a middle-class demographic such as those with university degrees working for the government.

Numbeo claims to be the “world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide”.

So they claim to be the biggest, LOL.  Bit like someone quoted here who once said Thai language is the language of the world.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I dont know anyone with children here at all. Most people I know here wear shorts, and those who wear jeans dont buy designer ones as far as I have noticed. As for flip-flops and singlets, I dont indulge in any of them nor do I know anyone who does.

Jeans from the market are perfectly good, about 200-250bht.

No shorts when travelling, the busses and planes are always icy cold.

17 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

If you have family and want to live in reasonable accomodation, give your 2 kids an education and be responsible and ensure that in the event of a medical emergency they will be properly cared for then this is the base line monthly cost:

Rent - 80K

School - 80K

Medical Insurance - 12K

That is the Vaseline and all of those can go upwards easily. That is 172K a month before anything else.

FAMILY accomodation (not single) in Bangkok is absolutely absurd now. It is more expensive to rent in Bangkok than Melbourne or Perth and maybe even Sydney. Family accomodation is certainly on par with Singapore if not more.

My new 3 bedroom house mortgage payments in Chiang mai are 10k/month.

My kids attend government school and university,  1k/month and 3k/month including expenses and pocket money.

No medical insurance they are Thai and can use the government hospital, I never worry about myself.

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Don't see what's hilarious there. Numbeo is an excellent resource, that reconciles inputs collected from its users. 

Just to give an idea for a family of 4 in issan:

"Wife allowance" 20 k

Health insurance + deductibles 25k

Electricity/water             6k

Police (red box + other) 1k

School                         4k

Cars Ins+petrol+main      8k  

Gardener                       6k

Internet                         1k

So we are at 81k without even mentionning food/wine/clothing/holidays etc...

Bottom line is for a normal middle class life I'll need 200k, since we are still improving the house I am still denting my savings. and I have given up on the pool.

Wife allowance 20k....mate, Ill shave my legs, wear stockings and be your bitch for that much

36 minutes ago, hansnl said:

For what it is worth, an Isan family of two, children live elsewhere.

Electricity.    5000

Water.            500

Police.          1000

Wife pocket.  10000

Car/motorbike 1000

Food and drink 10000

Insurances.     5000

Internet.         1500

Phones.            500

House maintenance 5000

Say a total of 40,000 a month

What's with the "wife pocket" ? And not to mention the 5K electricity bill?

2 hours ago, starky said:

Yeah right? Who wears nice jeans, leather shoes and wants to put their kids into decent schools? Perish the thought. Flip flops a Chang singlet and no school for my kids. They'll be right. Right? 

Leather shoes are a bit old fashioned, I have Nike trail running shoes.

Just now, bowerboy said:

Rent - 80K

School - 80K

Medical Insurance - 12K

No Thai rich or poor in their right mind will pay 80k on rent a month. That's the market for rich Chinese and dumb expats (and perhaps expats on expat packages).

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I have watched my standard of living being eroded over fifteen years.  My state pension has been frozen by the UK Gov.  Thailand continues to inflate prices for staple food stuffs/services.  I am teetering on the brink of emigrating - new Immigration rules may push me over the edge.

It's interesting to read that, as I've got older (over the past 10 years) my standard of living has changed, not really for better or worse, and I spent 50% less a month (started off in 2009 on 60k/month as a single person, now spending 40k/month as 4 person family). Saving me 10k/month after exchange rate differences.

My home loan repayments haven't changed in the 6 years since I bought my house, electricity, water, internet are the same price. I learned to cook western food myself, from basic ingredients, only the price of pork has risen significantly. I'm spending much less money on women, and tend to drink at home which has been a major saving in my living expenses.

The only real increase over the last 10 years is the kid at university, she's added 2-3k/month to my outgoings, but she'll be finished in another two years.

50 minutes ago, granuaile said:

health insurance provided by my retirement system, paid for in U.S. less than $200.

Am curious what U.S. health insurance provider covers major medical care in Thailand?  Medicare does not, Blue cross does not that I know of.   

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Don't see what's hilarious there. Numbeo is an excellent resource, that reconciles inputs collected from its users. 

Just to give an idea for a family of 4 in issan:

"Wife allowance" 20 k

Health insurance + deductibles 25k

Electricity/water             6k

Police (red box + other) 1k

School                         4k

Cars Ins+petrol+main      8k  

Gardener                       6k

Internet                         1k

So we are at 81k without even mentionning food/wine/clothing/holidays etc...

Bottom line is for a normal middle class life I'll need 200k, since we are still improving the house I am still denting my savings. and I have given up on the pool.

You are right-In isaan I wuold peg it between 80-100,000 baht at present.

That's before the Thai family really gets stuck into you...

Anybody who says different is simply lying and HEADING FOR A FALL..

So far this post makes me feel like a winner in comparison to others, an unusual feeling when reading TV.

I have never fancied living in Bangkok, the only place which has tempted me away from Kanchanaburi is Hua Hin.

I feel like I live for free when looking at others costs.

Rent 0 Baht (2 years ago my g/f and I built a house on her land 50% paid each, total about 1M Baht so no rent)

Internet 750 Baht

Electric and water 1400 Baht (for 2 houses 1 running AC - her family live next door)

Car insurance 350 Baht paid annually 

Gas 1k Baht (car is shared with her brothers business so he pays the lions share and 50% of the insurance)

Car payments 0 Baht - her brother won the lottery about a year ago and bought it (in her name) in cash.

Telephones (2) 300 Baht

Going out to eat or drink - not an option as the nearest 7/11 is an hour from me and the nearest western food is 3 hours. We cook every meal from local market produce.

We live and eat well - nowhere sells gin or wine so beer it is we have a choice of 2 (Chang or Leo)

We go a holiday at least once every 2 months to somewhere new.. This can be pricy but worth it. We also take a 5 hour round trip to the city (Kanchanaburi) to stock up from Makro and BigC when we need to.

The only other major expense I have is my personal health insurance from HCI in the UK about 40k Baht per annum. Easily my single biggest expense now, and getting dearer soon.

Wife allowance made me laugh. If I give my g/f some cash she puts it in the bank! We keep a tin with about 3k in it and use it as needed. It lasts about a month.

If like me you are 'over' the partying stage in life, had enough of long immigration lines, soi dogs, inflated prices for everything, not to mention traffic and pollution, then I heartily recommend the quieter Thai lifestyle.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

A UK state pension even if paid at full rate(approx. £6,700pa) would not fund a protracted stay in Thailand.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My new 3 bedroom house mortgage payments in Chiang mai are 10k/month.

My kids attend government school and university,  1k/month and 3k/month including expenses and pocket money.

No medical insurance they are Thai and can use the government hospital, I never worry about myself.

I am 47 with 2 kids and if I lived your lifestyle I would never need to work again as my savings would cover it...problem is I could not look myself in the mirror in the morning knowing I had failed my children so badly.

Archived