Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

rooster59

57 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

what about your dogs? I spend about $4,000 a month on our 3 dogs and a cat.....

I take it you mean 4000B as 4000$ seems a bit steep.

I've never liked dogs. Always used to have cats but living in a condo and going on holidays makes it very impractical.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CM after one year.......so i have some numbers to work with.  i consider myself on the "almost semi-frugal" scale.   

rent average is about 5000

water and electricity is about 500

food about 10000

massages about 2000

no beer, no smoking

fruit shakes, impulse buying stuff.....usually 1500

Usually i buy 1-2 new items every month.  usually it comes to about 2500 baht.   one phone at 8000, new shoes, computer at 25,000, etc.....average is about 2500

transportation maybe 200

21,500 including rent

add in visa stuff over two years might push it up to 22,000

oh, i spent maybe 20,000 on Thai classes.  maybe up to 23,000

buying dinner for friends, which i do quite a lot (a few months i spent 8000 doing it)

...maybe up to 24,000

24,000 a month for a year.  not including airfare

on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 as the most luxurious, i give myself a 5.5.  

A lot of this all comes down to housing.

I've lived in Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand. 

HK & SG are horrendously expensive for housing, but very dependant on where you live. In HK Central and Orchard Rd SG, it's no different to living in Manhattan.

But central Suk ain't much different. In terms of living costs, assuming you aint eating Som Tam every meal from the local street vendor, thats pretty much awash

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No shorts when travelling, the busses and planes are always icy cold.

I know what you mean about long distance Thai buses, but I rarely take those except to get to/from the airport.

I'm in the lucky position that I can choose to only fly to places that are fairly warm, and at times of year that suit me. So I can always fly in shorts. After Thailand I always enjoy the fresh feeling in planes anyway.

My retirement motto is that if I cant wear shorts to go somewhere, I just dont go. It's never been a problem even in high-end restaurants in Bangkok.

9 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

I am 47 with 2 kids and if I lived your lifestyle I would never need to work again as my savings would cover it...problem is I could not look myself in the mirror in the morning knowing I had failed my children so badly.

this is a good troll post.   funny how "failure" is based off what he said.  i've seen way, way more rich parents fail their kids and become some of the most awful humans on the planet.  all about bonding with the child, so hard to judge that on the post...yes?  and life isn't over, so who knows what people's kids will do later.....then maybe we can judge?  or maybe we should never judge?  or maybe judging makes us a bad parent and role model?  lol

13 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Am curious what U.S. health insurance provider covers major medical care in Thailand?  Medicare does not, Blue cross does not that I know of.   

Right now I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, and it does have network in Thailand, https://bcbsglobalcore.com. Hospitals include major BKK hospitals including Bumrungrad. I've never had to use it except for preventive services (I was shocked when they approved 100% of a claim with no questions or reductions). When I first retired it was free, but then they started charging what Medicare charges, plus I get the best plan they offer, currently $185 a month.

When I turn 65, I'll have United Healthcare for free (but have to have Medicare B, $135) - that plan will pay for emergency care abroad as well as some limited routine care. However I have to be a resident of a U.S. state or territory to be eligible for it, which is a reason I am going to return to the U.S. though I could probably just tell them I'm living there - another reason is I've taken a notion to spend a lot of months traveling in Ireland, Scotland, Northern England and Scandinavia and some other places around the globe, easier to base myself there, though my Social Security will become taxable living with my spouse. BCBS, I could continue living anywhere.

3 minutes ago, puukao said:

this is a good troll post.   funny how "failure" is based off what he said.  i've seen way, way more rich parents fail their kids and become some of the most awful humans on the planet.  all about bonding with the child, so hard to judge that on the post...yes?  and life isn't over, so who knows what people's kids will do later.....then maybe we can judge?  or maybe we should never judge?  or maybe judging makes us a bad parent and role model?  lol

The more money you spend on your kids, the less they like you, and the less they visit you as you get older.

That seems to be a universal rule I've noticed in my lifetime.

3 minutes ago, granuaile said:

Right now I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, and it does have network in Thailand, https://bcbsglobalcore.com. Hospitals include major BKK hospitals including Bumrungrad. I've never had to use it except for preventive services (I was shocked when they approved 100% of a claim with no questions or reductions). When I first retired it was free, but then they started charging what Medicare charges, plus I get the best plan they offer, currently $185 a month.

When I turn 65, I'll have United Healthcare for free (but have to have Medicare B, $135) - that plan will pay for emergency care abroad as well as some limited routine care. However I have to be a resident of a U.S. state or territory to be eligible for it, which is a reason I am going to return to the U.S. though I could probably just tell them I'm living there - another reason is I've taken a notion to spend a lot of months traveling in Ireland, Scotland, Northern England and Scandinavia and some other places around the globe, easier to base myself there, though my Social Security will become taxable living with my spouse. BCBS, I could continue living anywhere.

We have BCBS through my wife's work. Never looked into whether it covers us when we are in Thailand. Good to know, cancelling my travel insurance!

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

We have BCBS through my wife's work. Never looked into whether it covers us when we are in Thailand. Good to know, cancelling my travel insurance!

Probably a good idea to check with them, I did and they referred me to their global site and confirmed that I am covered here. I assume it's standard though, but good to be sure. When  I first came here, my retirement plan had Humana, and it did not cover me here, so I was glad when a few years ago the state switched to BCBS for it's employees (which also covers retirees under 65).

3 minutes ago, granuaile said:

Probably a good idea to check with them, I did and they referred me to their global site and confirmed that I am covered here. I assume it's standard though, but good to be sure. When  I first came here, my retirement plan had Humana, and it did not cover me here, so I was glad when a few years ago the state switched to BCBS for it's employees (which also covers retirees under 65).

My wife works for the Feds, so I'll make the assumption that the coverage is as good as any State Plan, but I'll check it out

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

What's with the "wife pocket" ? And not to mention the 5K electricity bill?

Marvellous little Issan lady, just got her degree, cooks the best food (Farang/Indian/Thai), loves to share my red wine, gave me two equally marvellous daughters. 20K is about 8% of my income; I feel I am borderline keeneeow.

Regarding electricity, here one have to chose between a 5k electricity or 5k water bill. So I decided not to waste my time with 12 showers a day, and run about 180000 BTU worth of air conditioners.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent.

Let's get back to original stats from Numbeo.

Yes, this is around how much I spend (probably close to 30k) on average by myself, but I rarely cook and eat Western food most of the time. Don't smoke, drink or party.

However, having a family of 4 does not somehow quadruple the average to over 80k a month. Your costs should go down significantly with each family member.

Allowance for a wife and family who refuse to work should not be taken into consideration. 

Private school and private healthcare should also not be calculated. These are Western luxuries that are unaffordable to most in Thailand. I have a friend who married a Thai. She went to public schools all her life and only in her post grad her parents paid a private school in Bangkok. She is in her mid 40s now and gets paid close to 200,000 baht a month working for a Thai company. There is absolutely no need to drop such huge amounts of money on private schools that are mostly taught by inept Westerners or worse.

The 200k++ amounts disclosed here should not reflect the average Thailand. This is the life (and Thai family) you chose for yourself.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent..."

21,017 a month WITHOUT rent? What the hell do people do in Bangkok that is so expensive?

I live on Koh Samui, modestly but comfortably, for around that much including rent.

PS To be fair, I neither smoke nor drink; those are two of the more expensive habits...

Yah it’s pretty obvious to many what your main “habit “ is.  I also don’t think about 5k per week in  Bangkok  or any of the other Thai cities mentioned  is very much. One nice dinner for two with some wine can cost that much. 

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Hmm.

My wife allowance: 0B (no wife)

Health insurance and deductibles: 0B (I dont work)

Electricity/water in my condo with the aircon on 24/7: under 2kB

Police: 0B

School: 0B

Car/fuel probably less than you, though I have never bothered to calculate it: maybe 5kB

Gardener: 0B

Internet: under 1kB

So that's 8kB compared to your 81kB, plus I get free peace and quiet thrown in. I'm rather glad I dont live in an Isaan house with a Thai family of 4.

Funny, funny, funny. Thanks for the run down on prices and the chuckle. Yes, prices vary for each person based on a number of factors. 

A 20K "wife allowance" is a great reason not to have a wife. If you have to pay her 20k to stick around she really isn't all that interested in you. 

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Yes, this is around how much I spend (probably close to 30k) on average by myself, but I rarely cook and eat Western food most of the time. Don't smoke, drink or party.

However, having a family of 4 does not somehow quadruple the average to over 80k a month. Your costs should go down significantly with each family member.

Allowance for a wife and family who refuse to work should not be taken into consideration. 

Private school and private healthcare should also not be calculated. These are Western luxuries that are unaffordable to most in Thailand. I have a friend who married a Thai. She went to public schools all her life and only in her post grad her parents paid a private school in Bangkok. She is in her mid 40s now and gets paid close to 200,000 baht a month forking for a Thai company. There is absolutely no need to drop such huge amounts of money on private schools that are mostly taught by inept Westerners or worse.

The 200k++ amounts disclosed here should not reflect the average Thailand. This is the life (and Thai family) you choose for yourself.

Don't get me going on private 'international' schools' 

When we moved to Thailand from Singapore, our son was right at the end of middle school.

From a fabulous elementary education in Singapore, I paid a fortune to subject him to the most awful High School education in Thailand.

There is a reason Thailand is is the basket case it is....education

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

My wife works for the Feds, so I'll make the assumption that the coverage is as good as any State Plan, but I'll check it out

The big problem here is getting providers to file correctly. I got a checkup at a nearby hospital on their list, and they insisted BCBS would not cover it before deductible though actually U.S. based BCBS plans cover preventive care 100% no deductible. Another time a clinic filed as consultative rather than preventive. So little things like that, but I was able to file for reimbursement. Theoretically, they are supposed to file and take what BCBS provides since they are in network, just doesn't always work that way, so good to chech with providers. When I first came here I had an acquaintance (also retired from a university but different state) who never had a problem using hers but used Bumrungrad and I suspect they're used to situations like that. 

11 minutes ago, Pravda said:

[..]

.. This is the life (and Thai family) you chose for yourself.

More like the lucky dip of the bar scene.

During the giddy heights of a two-week holiday when you fell in love with that special barfine, who was so different from all the rest, you effectively just stuck a pin in a map of Thailand as to where you'd buy your future house (for her). She may have been chosen, but not the location.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Numbeo claims to be the “world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide”.

and it's partly because of them that I end up here, follow their misleading information and here are the consequences, how can they or anybody else conduct a thoroughly customer data base, different people have different needs, back in 2014 I was asked to assist with a survey for them, I did and to see if it would be credible I provided a lot of misleading information for an area in China that I was familiar with, 1 year later reading their report they make the place to be the less desirable to live in which was completely the opposite, this type of surveys just a punch of BS not reliable at all

Whenever these surveys pop up- it’s always great reading- the types who live on next to nothing ( hunt frogs in the evening for a tasty soup) - nothing wrong with that although not keen on gob. 

Others who may have a Bentley parked outside.

if you have the money for the Bentley and a fabulous house or apartment- great , if you prefer a simpler life in the countryside- great. 

Why get your knickers in a twist and berate others for their lifestyles ( oops I forgot  this was Thaivisa ) 

3 hours ago, starky said:

Yeah right? Who wears nice jeans, leather shoes and wants to put their kids into decent schools? Perish the thought. Flip flops a Chang singlet and no school for my kids. They'll be right. Right? 

Exactly. I also take a short cut on the laundry bills by just occasionally dabbing the egg stains off my singlet. A decent lifestyle; perish the thought

5 minutes ago, granuaile said:

The big problem here is getting providers to file correctly. I got a checkup at a nearby hospital on their list, and they insisted BCBS would not cover it before deductible though actually U.S. based BCBS plans cover preventive care 100% no deductible. Another time a clinic filed as consultative rather than preventive. So little things like that, but I was able to file for reimbursement. Theoretically, they are supposed to file and take what BCBS provides since they are in network, just doesn't always work that way, so good to chech with providers. When I first came here I had an acquaintance (also retired from a university but different state) who never had a problem using hers but used Bumrungrad and I suspect they're used to situations like that. 

Great info, thanks

Cost of living in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai among the highest in ASEAN

full-retirement-portfolio1.thumb.jpg.c7ff1a36bb5ae636e306ceb1cce6c992.jpg

Many of the destinations popular with expats and foreign retirees to Thailand are some of the most expensive cities to live in ASEAN.

According to price aggregation website Numbeo, Bangkok is the second most expensive city to live in ASEAN, behind Singapore.

Phuket (4th), Pattaya (6th) and Chiang Mai (8th) also featured in the top 10 of ASEAN cities with the highest cost of living, in Numbeo’s Cost of Living Index for January 2019.

Numbeo claims to be the “world’s largest database of user contributed data about cities and countries worldwide”.

Numbeo ranks a location in its Cost of Living Index by analysing a variety of factors such as rent, cost of utilities, food, transportation and more.

The website boasts 4,983,790 prices in 8,819 cities entered by 417,620 contributors around the world.

The website said the monthly costs for a single person to live in Bangkok was 21,017.40฿ without rent.

Chiang Mai, where a single person's monthly costs are 16,248.11฿ without rent, was found to be cheaper to live than Bangkok.

In Pattaya a single person monthly costs, 16,984.13฿ without rent, while was found to be slightly cheaper than the Eastern Seaboard resort where 16,825.81฿ without rent was a single person monthly costs.

For families, Numbeo said that monthly costs for a four person family in Bangkok was 75,851.11฿ not including rent.

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc

-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-10

Many here are making comments about this "worthless survey". Let me edumacate you. Numbeo is a crowd sources database. The most accurate results will come from the inputs on cities that have the greatest contributors. At the moment Chiang Mai has 146 and 463 respectively.

Extract the results that you're interested in. Up to you

Be happy

6 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Private school and private healthcare should also not be calculated. These are Western luxuries that are unaffordable to most in Thailand. I have a friend who married a Thai. She went to public schools all her life and only in her post grad her parents paid a private school in Bangkok. She is in her mid 40s now and gets paid close to 200,000 baht a month working for a Thai company. There is absolutely no need to drop such huge amounts of money on private schools that are mostly taught by inept Westerners or worse.

The 200k++ amounts disclosed here should not reflect the average Thailand. This is the life (and Thai family) you chose for yourself.

She is hardly the norm and you must know that. Just about every successful Thai I know went to private school in Thailand or elsewhere and most but not all went abroad for further education and 200k per month is not very much to make in Bangkok and live the high life by no means. 

What you think should not be included is a bit absurd as well. If you are spending money on things like private school like many many Thais and foreigners are doing its part of your budget. Just like taking out the family to an expensive restaurant. Does you second daughter eat less than the first one lol ? Does she want less “ things “ like a cheaper phone or handbag ?? 

4 hours ago, rgrdns said:

Exactly.....me same same in Bangkok for more than a decennium ????

I lived there for a year. Single, busy at work (not retired...), cant afford an apartment in the reasonable area close to work with a kitchen so... Coffee and light breakfast, lunch, dinner = 700 baht / day.  Clothes, taxis, drinks, movie? Easily 10,000 baht / month. Thats 30 k already and we arent even considering that I am dating and having to pay for the woman.   You still think 20k is crazy?   The index ranking isnt based on retired people chilling at home by the pool each day, just happy to relax and enjoy the weather.  

1 minute ago, Bournville said:

Many here are making comments about this "worthless survey". Let me edumacate you. Numbeo is a crowd sources database. The most accurate results will come from the inputs on cities that have the greatest contributors. At the moment Chiang Mai has 146 and 463 respectively.

Extract the results that you're interested in. Up to you

Be happy

curious to know how much they paid you 555

3 minutes ago, Patriot said:

A decent lifestyle; perish the thought

Does wearing leather shoes and Levi jeans make yours a "decent lifestyle"? That seems a rather narrow approach. I expect much more than that out of my lifestyle, and I get it.

The label on my jeans and what my shoes are made of are both irrelevant to me, as long as they are comfortable and durable and sensibly priced.

13 minutes ago, granuaile said:

I was glad when a few years ago the state switched to BCBS for it's employees (which also covers retirees under 65).

Still confused.  You are "retired" in Thailand but the "state" pays for your healthcare.  So because you worked for state government (in the U.S.?)  the BCBS "for its employees" is still available to you when no longer employed?  This is paid by the current state taxpayers? Or is it a labor union?  

Worked for private companies - have no knowledge of government employees benefits after retirement

Archived