All three of Thailand’s weightlifting world champions suspended after new doping cases are revealed

rooster59

All three of Thailand’s weightlifting world champions suspended after new doping cases are revealed

By Brian Oliver

Rattanawan+Wamalu+with+medal+in+Ashgbaat.jpg

Rattanawan Wamalu, second right, is among five of Thailand's six medallists from last year's IWF World Championships in Ashgabat to have subsequently tested positive for banned performance-enhancing drugs ©IWF

Two more of Thailand’s medallists from the 2018 International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) World Championships have tested positive and are provisionally suspended.

That takes to eight the number of Thai positives in recent weeks, all of whom were in the team who finished second in the medals table behind China in the World Championships last November in Ashgabat in Turkmenistan.

Seven are women, including all three of the nation’s gold medallists in Ashgabat.

Of the six Thai women who won medals in Turkmenistan only one, the 45 kilograms bronze medallist Chirapham Nanthawaong, is still free to compete.

Full story: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1075313/all-three-of-thailands-weightlifting-world-champions-suspended-after-new-doping-cases-are-revealed

Inside The Games: 2019-02-10

When one hails from culture of corruption deceit and dishonesty for so many years, this is no surprise that it will also find itself into areas where honesty dignity and pride in your achievements are so important, alas, old habit die hard...

50 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I honestly believe that cheating at anything and everything is part of Thai DNA. 

Right and you close your eyes for the same thing happening in any other country especially the US. Some people are just better at hiding it then others. I don't mind complaining Thais but anyone who thinks that professional athletes are clean of drugs PE(s) is crazy.  Its just a matter of having the best doctor and masking the drugs. Lance Armstrong was great at it Ben Johnson used too. 

This is not an unique Thai thing this is related to top sports. But even with drugs these people (top athletes) are doing great things, the drugs help but without talent they would not get far.

Anyway tough for them that they got caught now they should accept the punishment.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Right and you close your eyes for the same thing happening in any other country especially the US. Some people are just better at hiding it then others. I don't mind complaining Thais but anyone who thinks that professional athletes are clean of drugs PE(s) is crazy.  Its just a matter of having the best doctor and masking the drugs. Lance Armstrong was great at it Ben Johnson used too. 

This is not an unique Thai thing this is related to top sports. But even with drugs these people (top athletes) are doing great things, the drugs help but without talent they would not get far.

Anyway tough for them that they got caught now they should accept the punishment.

Now, now Rob :), we don't have to remind you that this is a Thai forum and specific to Thailand. No mentioning or comparisons please.

Thai Visa Forum is the name on the top. No apologists here please. Down with all that. ????

down.jpg

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

You don't know me, because if you did, you would know that I don't close my eyes to anything.  I am well aware of, and despise all forms of cheating, no matter by whom, or what country they are from.  Yes, it happens everywhere.  No argument from me on that one.  But the point I was trying to make is that with Thai, cheating at anything and everything simply seems to be a way of life with them.  I've been living here over 10 years, and this is something I have just come to accept. 

Just now, thequietman said:

Now, now Rob :), we don't have to remind you that this is a Thai forum and specific to Thailand. No mentioning or comparisons please.

Thai Visa Forum is the name on the top. No apologists here please. Down with all that. ????

down.jpg

Im sorry for bringing reason to a perfectly good Thai bash topic. Mea culpa Mea culpa. I will sit in the corner and think about my sins.

I just always have read loads of stuff on doping as it is rampart in bodybuilding. So I have a good idea how wide spread it is. I am not pro doping, but just think its almost impossible to combat given that they come up with new chemicals that can't be detected all the time. Who has the best doctors (and a lot of talent and dedication) wins. 

Even with doping things are hard, if you were to give steroids to the average Thai visa member nothing would happen unless they train hard eat well and have talent. Then it would give an advantage. But drugs are not a replacement of talent and hard work they just add a bit that could be the difference between winning and losing. Plus its so wide spread if you don't partake you put yourself at a disadvantage (sad but true)

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:
10 minutes ago, robblok said:

And they should return all the money they got when Thailand was proud at them. Now they ruined thailands excellent reputation.

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

You don't know me, because if you did, you would know that I don't close my eyes to anything.  I am well aware of, and despise all forms of cheating, no matter by whom, or what country they are from.  Yes, it happens everywhere.  No argument from me on that one.  But the point I was trying to make is that with Thai, cheating at anything and everything simply seems to be a way of life with them.  I've been living here over 10 years, and this is something I have just come to accept. 

You might be right, but in this case its not a Thai thing but a top athlete thing and your overshooting.

In their DNA.. do you know how crazy that sounds. Unless you want to start a nature vs nurture debate. 

Just now, fruitman said:

And they should return all the money they got when Thailand was proud at them. Now they ruined thailands excellent reputation.

No problems from me.. i have no problems with them getting punished, they cheated. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Im sorry for bringing reason to a perfectly good Thai bash topic.

My apologies for doing it again but this is a Thailand forum and bringing reason and logic into it, is just not on. You know there is no reason/logic employed in Thai life and so you shouldn't even be mentioning it. Down with all that. ????

dow.jpg

Just now, thequietman said:

My apologies for doing it again but this is a Thailand forum and bringing reason and logic into it, is just not on. You know there is no reason/logic employed in Thai life and so you shouldn't even be mentioning it. Down with all that. ????

dow.jpg

Its hard to shake my upbringing, i will try harder next time.

Of course you’re correct! Any teacher will tell you it’s done from junior to high school in to university ! So why would it stop ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

37 minutes ago, Razek said:

They are not the first . They are not the last. USA .RUSSLAND. ITALY DID IT TOO

Again, this is a Thai forum. Please air your grievances on a Russian, American or Italian forum.

Let's discuss the issues with the Thai team taking drugs. Thanks.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

You might be right, but in this case its not a Thai thing but a top athlete thing and your overshooting.

In their DNA.. do you know how crazy that sounds. Unless you want to start a nature vs nurture debate. 

"in their DNA" is a rhetorical phrase, used to emphasis the recurrence/ubiquity of behaviours and the apparent inability for them to be changed.

A common expression, that is generally not taken (as you have) in a literal sense.

For some reason Thailand seems to be regarded, by many, as a place where deception, dissimulation, disingenuity, lying and cheating has been so nurtured into the population that it is, effectively, "in their DNA".

I cannot for the life of me understand how this belief has become so popular.

Perhaps those who hold the belief have it........"in their DNA"?

As far as this case goes, I am greatly saddened to find that the "plucky little Thais", that I cheered on at the Olympics, appear to have been systematic cheats.

It is of no concern to me that it happens "everywhere".

I was only cheering for them.

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I honestly believe that cheating at anything and everything is part of Thai DNA. 

Your comment reminds me of several folks in my outer Thai family who insist that everything is up to them, law should not even exist in their analysis.

'Why did you drive straight through that red light?'

Response: 'I don't want that law and it's wrong because it's up to me!'

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Drugs help?  Yes a lot, when Ben Johnson could no longer use them he never competed again at the level/speed he achieved using them. The drugs make a good athlete into a superior one.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Dopey buggers got caught doping, sad very sad, but it seems to be that the attitude is we are Thai we can do what we want.

Brainless stupid buggers, now that brings Thailand reputation down seriously.

Yes, but somewhere in this it' easy enough to find 'but does all this apply to us, to Thai people?'  'Really!'

Very simple example, My thai son went to HS in Singapore from M5. He was very aware of Singapore and how things work, he'd been there many times on short and long holidays and accompanied me on several projects.

A few days after he started school a couple of other thai students at his HS invited him to go to the beach after school, he accepted. When it started to get dark the other boys started to pile up some well constructed wooden benches (benches part of the furniture along the well appointed beach). Son asked what they were doing?  'We're doing to start a fire'.

Son asked them to stop saying 'we'll get into serious trouble with the police'.

Other boys, 'NO, the police can't touch us, we're Thai'.

Son tied to tell them 'when you're in another country you are subject to the laws of that country'.

Other boys ' not true for Thai people'.

Son grabbed his bag and fled quickly, ran to a main road and flagged a taxi and called me (in Bkk), and told me what had happened. He said he was going back to his dorm apartment and he would quickly tell the dorm manager, who was his legal guardian. I agreed and told him to do it quickly.

Back at the beach, the fire was started, and a shop owner called the police and the fire brigade. The errant Thai boys taken to a police station and when questioned they told the police there was another boy, my son.

Police called the school, quickly the school head, the guardian and my son at the police station. Luckily the police didn't charge my son with anything but gave him quite a lecture about respect for the law and appropriate / non-appropriate behavior. Nothing in his passport.

His school did punish him - his grades for that semester reduced by 1 level.

The other 2 Thai boys charged, very large fines imposed on both (forget the amount), boys held until payment arrived from Thailand, then boys taken to the airport and deported, passports marked 'entry forbidden for 10 years, then stay more than 3 days forbidden. Study or work in Singapore forbidden forever'.  

Everyone on the podium is guilty of using PED. Of course, not all are caught and that is why athletes cheat. PED are rife in sports like Weightlifting and Track & Field. Professional sports, for the most part, have an announced testing date. Completely useless for catching cheats but good for the image of the sport. "We test and nobody tests positive, we are a clean sport/league" While there is money and fame in sport, there will be many, many athletes willing to take the chance and use PED's. Just a fact of life.

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I so rarely agree with Robblok but he is right ON!   Doping scandals in international sports have a long history some of it state sponsored by the Russians and East Germans and plenty of it in france and USA.  etc.  Maybe because the drugs are getting cheap and easy to come by more developing countries will have problems with it too.  Welcome to the modern world.  

Archived