Acquiring PR with skant Thai language skills

I've done some reading on PR and I think i could pull it off save for the language drills. Is it absolutely necessary to be relatively conversational, to be able to make a full and complete statement in Thai? Have a chat? I've been teaching the last five years and my Thai language skills have evaporated.

I think I could put together a nice package including being employed at some of very notable public schools as well as assisting Thai students obtain foreign scholarships in tens of millions of THB. Married, stable. Meet 3 years work, salary requirements.

Is it true the costs are 2-300k??

Thank you

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

If you married and employed you can skip the PR and go direct for citizenship , Thai skills not needed.

indeed PR application is around 200-300K non refundable 

Would you have any idea what is a fair amount to pay a lawyer for the paperwork? Or, is it so personal you'd end up sort of doing it yourself through them anyway?

I have a good connection with a Thai attorney, parents of my former student.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong.

The fee to apply for permanent residency is 7,600 baht.

After approved the fee for the resident certificate is 95,700 baht if married to a Than and if not it is 191,400 baht.

I thought it was 200-300 but that is with lawyer fees included, happy to be corrected 

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Would you have any idea what is a fair amount to pay a lawyer for the paperwork? Or, is it so personal you'd end up sort of doing it yourself through them anyway?

I have a good connection with a Thai attorney, parents of my former student.

No idea, only heard around 100-150 k, but again no personal experience of personal quotes 

2 hours ago, BestB said:

If you married and employed you can skip the PR and go direct for citizenship , Thai skills not needed.

It's correct that you can skip PR if you're married to a Thai national.

It is not correct, however, that Thai skills don't need to be demonstrated in that case.

2 hours ago, BestB said:

If he currently holds citizenship of a country which revokes the citizenship if he acquires another one (for example Germany), this might not be an option for him.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If he currently holds citizenship of a country which revokes the citizenship if he acquires another one (for example Germany), this might not be an option for him.

Germany has a procedure that allows you to keep your German citizenship. I'd daresay that the requirements to do so are easily met by most Germans who might wish to acquire Thai citizenship.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jackdd said:

One does not need to renounce citizenship , only to show the intent to renounce it 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

It is not correct, however, that Thai skills don't need to be demonstrated in that case.

Actually it is not mandatory but you do get a extra points for Thai language. Also the singing is not required if married to a Thai.

You can find lots of info about it in this topic. dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

And PR here. Camerata's Guide to Permanent Residence

• Like 2

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Plus you need to sing Thai National Anthem in front of 10-20 people and then next the Royal Anthem to the same people.

Do they also have to prostrate themselves before a photo?

I thought it ended with the national anthem. Didn’t realize you also have to more or less pledge allegiance to the man. 

ubonjoe is correct about the singing.

When I did the interview several years ago it lasted 10-15 mins. The questions at the time (and maybe still are) are standard and easily available. I knew the questions before the interview; the only things that varied in my experience were (i) that 1 or 2 additional questions were asked for example if the answer was of interest and (ii) interview may be cut short if person is fluent in Thai.

For me the most difficult aspect was that questions came from different people speaking in different accents and the questions were in random order.

People who spoke fluent Thai were in and out in 5 minutes.

There is plenty of time to brush up on Thai skils or learn from scratch before the OP would have an interview. (This assumes that after the Election applications can be made later in the year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Actually it is not mandatory but you do get a extra points for Thai language. Also the singing is not required if married to a Thai.

You can find lots of info about it in this topic. dbrenn's story of Thai citizenship application

And PR here. Camerata's Guide to Permanent Residence

hi Ubon,

So are you saying that if i have a thai wife NO need anthem and the royal anthem???

if so... i will apply tomorrow. Well, i can speak almost fluent thai but no writing or reading.. im married and working here... So... nothing stopping me

But the link you posted mentioning singing i think... And do i still need that donation or charity thing?

Edited by problemfarang

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

Do they also have to prostrate themselves before a photo?

I thought it ended with the national anthem. Didn’t realize you also have to more or less pledge allegiance to the man. 

i think you will give lot of photo on the process.. though good idea to bring more to the interview ????

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Germany does not really revoke it. That is against the charta of human rights. Thailand expects you to "drop it". And you simply apply for a new passport from your old country then. However I have no idea if they would check the Thai passport for European stamps when you show your European/German passport when you fly "home.

However if you are an "official Thai" and have no European passport (or where ever you are from), the visa nightmare is just the opposite around. Try to go to Europe as a Thai ... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

hi Ubon,

So are you saying that if i have a thai wife NO need anthem and the royal anthem???

if so... i will apply tomorrow. Well, i can speak almost fluent thai but no writing or reading.. im married and working here... So... nothing stopping me

But the link you posted mentioning singing i think... And do i still need that donation or charity thing?

If you can speak almost fluent Thai then there is nothing to worry about on that score. There is requirement to be able to read or write (and this is not tested) unless it is has recently changed.

I did not have show evidence of donating or charity things, but was asked at the interview what I did in this regard. As I had been donating to one temple in particular as well as a local charity for many years i just explained name of both and for first why. I did not submit any evidence of donations.

Just now, rimmae2 said:

If you can speak almost fluent Thai then there is nothing to worry about on that score. There is requirement to be able to read or write (and this is not tested) unless it is has recently changed.

I did not have show evidence of donating or charity things, but was asked at the interview what I did in this regard. As I had been donating to one temple in particular as well as a local charity for many years i just explained name of both and for first why. I did not submit any evidence of donations.

Correction: "There is no requirement......"

40 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

hi Ubon,

Wow, how did you manage that? I can read it nearly perfectly now, I only can not write much, because I only know 100 words, rofl. Learn reading man, you only need a week for that, if at all.

13 hours ago, problemfarang said:

hi Ubon,

You will need 3 years of verified tax returns and 3 years of marriage if you don't have children. You will also need to accumulate at least 50 points which are based on things like age, education and salary. SB in bkk can help you and most other provinces are useless in citizenship. 

13 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

thanks for the info about charity and donation part.

Well, i really dont feel comfortable with a mic in front of people. Tbh this was the thing keep me not applying for a citizenship.. yes i know it might sound funny but its true.. I hate that.. its a fobia. But i think no need to sing in front of people if have a wife.. i will apply... Actually i really need some info about this from any proper website or other.. Im not sure if i go to a lawyer he will know about the song or not..

thanks

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years now, own my condo and am married to a Thai. I can't apply for PR as my stay here is based on retirement. On the face of it this seems unfair particularly as I've no intention of leaving Thailand.

Has there ever been a petition for this rule to change? 

Would people be interested in supporting such a petition? 

• Like 1

I've lived in Thailand for 10 years now, own my condo and am married to a Thai. I can't apply for PR as my stay here is based on retirement. On the face of it this seems unfair particularly as I've no intention of leaving Thailand.

Has there ever been a petition for this rule to change? 

Would people be interested in supporting such a petition? 

16 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You are one of those candidates who may be more suited towards Thai citizenship, if you qualify.

As for petition - other than putting a big target on your back - what do you expect to achieve?

I fear my language skills are not good enough for Thai citizenship.

Can you explain a little more about the big target on my back as I don't understand your point.

As far as what do i expect to achieve then i thought with enough interested/committed individuals the point could be raised with the authorities   - nothing to lose as fas as i can see. 

22 hours ago, Caldera said:

Germany has a procedure that allows you to keep your German citizenship. I'd daresay that the requirements to do so are easily met by most Germans who might wish to acquire Thai citizenship.

Incorrect. It's considerably more difficult than you describe. I know of a number of people, whose applications for approval of acquiring a second citizenship was rejected by the German authorities.

17 hours ago, Enki said:

Germany does not really revoke it. That is against the charta of human rights. Thailand expects you to "drop it". And you simply apply for a new passport from your old country then. However I have no idea if they would check the Thai passport for European stamps when you show your European/German passport when you fly "home.

However if you are an "official Thai" and have no European passport (or where ever you are from), the visa nightmare is just the opposite around. Try to go to Europe as a Thai ... 

You are absolutely wrong. Germany can revoke citizenship and it is not against the charta of human rights. The only time it would be if by revoking citizenship, you are making the person involved stateless, which wouldn't be the case here. When applying for a new German passport one is asked if one holds a second citizenship. Obviously if one wishes to state incorrect facts and sign such declaration, that´s a different matter. I suppose some do it, hoping it will never be discovered.