Acquiring PR with skant Thai language skills

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

if you qualify for PR then it's well worth applying for it, especially if you are married to a Thai and therefore pay the reduced fee. Once you have it, if you lose your job, get divorced, it doesn't impact your residency status. Plus if ever you decide to move out of Thailand, as long as you come back once a year to renew your re-entry permit (yes, still needed for PR holders ...), and every five years to re-register at your local police station, you keep PR. Unlike many other countries it doesn't expire after X years of non-residence (like a Green Card, or Singapore PR).

PR, in my opinion. Is not worth it if married. It's much easier and only 5,000 baht to get citizenship, which is so much better.

PR you still need reentry visas  etc.

I thought off getting it before Takhsin raised it to a ridiculous amount.it was only 9,000 baht.

I would never use a lawyer unless I was mega busy with money to waste.

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I have a suspicion that the Thai authorities *may* get more serious about this, to the extent of actually requiring proof that you have renounced your original citizenship within a certain period after actually getting Thai citizenship.

What makes you think this?

On 2/12/2019 at 1:45 PM, jayboy said:

Leaving aside the innate implausibility of someone from the "Phillipines" who "stays in a condo" and who has "got in " with a "military crowd", the Thai system doesn't work this way.

It's very possible that a supporting letter from a high ranking general might help the applicant in a real case (not a made up one like this). But all the other criteria would need to be complied with - tax record, educational levels, language capability, income level etc.Quite apart from anything else, there would be very severe consequences for the Department of Immigration civil servants involved if an established bureaucratic process was compromised.

In other words, this Phillipines (sic) person who "lives in a condo" and who has "got in with the military crowd" is a complete figment of the imagination.

Whether the original poster is making the whole thing up or whether he has been duped, I cannot say. But clearly, it is bullshit.

I have a friend who got it quickly as he had influential friends. These friends have to be high up, ie Pm or former PM, or at least govt ministers. My friends had the order of the white elephant from the king and was no. 2 at the US embassy.

4 hours ago, Enki said:

Would only be wrong if you did not pay taxes on your pension income ... so please stop throwing around words like "wrong". Being three years *on the same visa* is definitely correct. No idea about other requirements.

Your application wouldn’t pass the laugh test. 

Three years work permits

Three years tax returns

Three years uninterrupted non-immigrant extensions of stay. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What makes you think this?

The recent discussions between SB, MOI and British Embassy regarding the letter of intent. As you know, the embassy used to issue the declaration and then stopped around April/May 2018, on the grounds that the embassy was not able to confirm whether the intent to renounce was actually followed through [despite it a) being none of their business and b] a criminal offence in UK law to make, knowingly, a false declaration]. The letter that has now been agreed with SB / MOI (and which has been available for a couple of months now) makes it abundantly clear to the Thai authorities that the UK Government will not check whether the applicant, if successful, actually gives up their UK citizenship. Effectively (my opinion) it says "this person probably won't give it up and that's up to them, but we need to make you [Thai authorities] properly aware of this". Of course it is better for the applicant from the point of view of UK law in the sense that no legal declaration is now being made, but it wouldn't surprise me if the corollary is that it gets the Thai authorities thinking about whether they ought to ask for proof of renunciation. 

But then again, who knows ...

• Thanks 2

I have a friend who got it quickly as he had influential friends. These friends have to be high up, ie Pm or former PM, or at least govt ministers. My friends had the order of the white elephant from the king and was no. 2 at the US embassy.

Supporters at this level can of course be extremely helpful though one would need to be very careful that they are not controversial.

In the case you quote the decision was speeded up - so presumably the necessary PR criteria were met before the political sign off by the Minister of the Interior.

I don’t think even high level support would do the trick if the candidate simply didn’t fulfill the basic conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Supporters at this level can of course be extremely helpful though one would need to be very careful that they are not controversial.

In the case you quote the decision was speeded up - so presumably the necessary PR criteria were met before the political sign off by the Minister of the Interior.

I don’t think even high level support would do the trick if the candidate simply didn’t fulfill the basic conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, I agree.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:03 AM, samran said:

Your application wouldn’t pass the laugh test. 

Three years work permits

Three years tax returns

Three years uninterrupted non-immigrant extensions of stay. 

Exactly ... so? Why would you laugh about my statement? Three years on the same visa? Work permits are not required. Neither tax returns, but instead tax declarations, like for everyone living more than 180 days per year in the kingdom. "Three years uninterrupted non-immigrant extensions of stay. " this is the equivalent of "three years on the same visa". (* facepalm *)

Edited by Enki

On 2/13/2019 at 7:15 PM, jayboy said:

I wasn't addressing you. I was responding to the person who believes that procedures can be bypassed if you know the right people.

I would be much much more surprised if procedures CAN NOT be bypasses knowing the right people....

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, Caldera said:

Germany has a procedure that allows you to keep your German citizenship. I'd daresay that the requirements to do so are easily met by most Germans who might wish to acquire Thai citizenship.

You are allowed dual citizenship if your 2nd one is from EU. Otherwise you need permission or loose German one.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:31 PM, Enki said:

Exactly ... so? Why would you laugh about my statement? Three years on the same visa? Work permits are not required. Neither tax returns, but instead tax declarations, like for everyone living more than 180 days per year in the kingdom. "Three years uninterrupted non-immigrant extensions of stay. " this is the equivalent of "three years on the same visa". (* facepalm *)

If you are so confident, why not go to the PR section in CW, then see how confident you are on the way out after meeting the friendly and knowledgeable Officer(s)?

On 2/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, Letseng said:

You are allowed dual citizenship if your 2nd one is from EU. Otherwise you need permission or loose German one.

Erm, no? Or since when is Turky in the EU?

Erm, no ... most countries in the EU have citizenship by birth right. If your parents are from different countries you have both citizenships. If you get born in a third country, you have three. Depending where you grow up, you gain citizenship with 16, so: you easily get 4 citizenships by doing: nothing.

I wished people who have no clue about the topic simply would stop posting nonsense.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:28 AM, jackdd said:

You means right of blood, "jus sanguinis"? Birth right citizenship would mean "jus soli" and only a few European countries offer this.

Both, born inside of the country, you have citizenship, e.g. Switzerland. Have parents from that country, e.g. France or Germany, you have citizenship.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, MARK74 said:

. I have a few friends who qualify for citizenship and could hold dual but would rather have PR and not be a citizen of thailand. that's their choice though

What on earth would their reasoning be?

Totally wrong information.

Enki, sorry to say, but you sound like the person who 'buys' land using a company and nominee shareholder structure, on the basis that a lawyer can argue that this wriggles around the land ownership rules for foreigners.

You can't do this for PR or citizenship, (and you can't do it for land either!). You need to meet the requirements for PR application which are clearly stated by the authorities - you can't try to 'wiggle' and argue that your/your lawyer's interpretation of the requirements is blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way ????

• Like 1

I have asked about this on this forum, as many married-to-a-Thai expats would like to apply for PR or Citizenship.  You would think that paying taxes on a high income earned overseas, combined with the other requirements would be enough for at least PR - but I have never heard of anyone qualifying this way.  Unless you can cite a case of this being accepted ...

On 2/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, fforest1 said:

I would be much much more surprised if procedures CAN NOT be bypasses knowing the right people....

As to connections, of course, same as anywhere - but high level ones.  Not like extensions or other police-related things, where one goes to an agent/lawyer and forks over an "extra fee" and it magically happens w/o most qualifications being met.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What on earth would their reasoning be?

Actually, there are quite a few expatriates who qualify for citizenship but chose not to pursue it. I am one of them being quite happy with PR.

If I was much younger I admit I might have sought it for the simple purpose of being able to own land in my own name. But even then I would have has significant reservations.

Why? Because although I am fond of the country and owe much to it, its stated values are not my values and it would be deeply hypocritical to pledge respect for certain aspects which I despise.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:50 AM, jayboy said:

Why? Because although I am fond of the country and owe much to it, its stated values are not my values and it would be deeply hypocritical to pledge respect for certain aspects which I despise.

Fair enough.

I don't think those getting citizenship really pay much attention to the oath of allegiance, it's just a formality.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:33 AM, simon43 said:

Enki, sorry to say, but you sound like the person who 'buys' land using a company and nominee shareholder structure, on the basis that a lawyer can argue that this wriggles around the land ownership rules for foreigners.

You can't do this for PR or citizenship, (and you can't do it for land either!). You need to meet the requirements for PR application which are clearly stated by the authorities - you can't try to 'wiggle' and argue that your/your lawyer's interpretation of the requirements is blah, blah, blah.

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way ????

I don't buy land ... my wife buys land. Actually she does not really buy it, she gets it from her brother in law who had a loan on the land. Yes, the PR rules are clear. And there is no rule you need land ???? 

7 minutes ago, Enki said:

I don't buy land ... my wife buys land. Actually she does not really buy it, she gets it from her brother in law who had a loan on the land. Yes, the PR rules are clear. And there is no rule you need land ???? 

Nobody stated that there is a 'rule that you need land'. Why don't you check whether you would qualify for PR and if not what you would need to do to qualify with the PR section in Immigration, as has been suggested. Knowledgeable people are trying to help you........................but with some people who seem to be know alls it is a waste of time.

18 minutes ago, rimmae2 said:

Nobody stated that there is a 'rule that you need land'. Why don't you check whether you would qualify for PR and if not what you would need to do to qualify with the PR section in Immigration, as has been suggested. Knowledgeable people are trying to help you........................but with some people who seem to be know alls it is a waste of time.

No, people are not trying to help me. They try to help the original poster of the question. And I pointed out some false answers, now someone claims my answer is false too ???? I did not stay since 3 years in the kingdom, hence I don't qualify yet for PR, hence I don't memorize all rules ... and the "all rules" are not important. The first rule is: stay in the country *on the same visa*. You can not stay her with a business visa for half a year, leave country com back with a 90 day tourist visa, leave again and come back with a ed visa, extend it, leave again and come back with a retirement visa.

I have no idea why people want to dispute this. Either you are here with the exact same business visa, or marriage visa or (I'm pretty sure but not 100%) with a retirement visa *for consecutive 3 years* or you don't qualify.

Edited by Enki

49 minutes ago, Enki said:

I have no idea why people want to dispute this. Either you are here with the exact same business visa, or marriage visa or (I'm pretty sure but not 100%) with a retirement visa *for consecutive 3 years* or you don't qualify.

I am 100% sure that 3 consecutive years (or 20 consecutive years for that matter) on what you describe as a retirement visa will not secure you PR. In fact, you would not be qualified even to apply.