I don't think that I would buy another pickup truck in the future

ghworker2010

I have an isuzu truck around 3 yrs old. Negative issues:

- Sore back and bum on long trips

- Driving over bitumen roads with potholes/ uneven surfaces, at moderate speed, results in the truck being unstable. It feels like the car is sliding a bit out of control for a few seconds. 

- Last week I was driving in heavy rain on a road in our city and proceeded to overtake at a slow speed. My truck slid for 1 to 2 seconds out of control which scared the shit out of me. A year ago the same thing happened on a gravel road but I was going a bit faster. 

My 4 tires are only 1 yr old - chinese brand. Im assuming they are ok. 

Im thinking of putting several large heavy sand bags in the back of the truck to see if that helps. 

Recently I drove the father in laws new toyota sedan. I felt it was a safer and more comfortable drive at all speeds. 

Does anyone else have these issues?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pickups are what they are a commercial lump so will handle accordingly. At speed they can be a death trap. I brought my Toyo Vigo 4x4 many years ago, great for shifting things for the then new house. But once I had finished that found it almost useless unless you fitted a top for the back end. Rainy season, any luggage would get buggered. Sold it and brought a MPV. Difference was very noticeable. I didn't get buggered legs/back on a run due to their much better seating so was the comfort ride wise. Could get almost as much in the back if loaded correctly. Conclusion would I buy another pickup No. Even though they a somewhat cheaper. Tip make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure.

Trucks have much more ground clearance than a car, so if you live (or regularly visit) out in the sticks where the roads may have huge potholes then a truck will make more sense.

But on the open road they are certainly more unstable with much worse road-holding and breaking abilities (even if they do have ABS).  They offer better vision since you're a bit more elevated, and in some accidents they may be safer, being a bit heavier, although airbags probably even's thing up a bit.

Oh, Songkran is much more fun in the back of a truck than in a car though... 

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

Sore back and bum on long trips

I'm 6'3" or 190cms, and my 11 y/o Toyota 4 door Vigo PreRunner which we've owned for 10 years is the most comfortable car i've sat in in the front seats, especially for long, all day trips.

Visitors from the West sitting in the back remark how comfortable it is.

On the other hand, i've travelled all day long in the passenger seat with my dad driving in the West whilst visiting on holiday, and i've had a sore arse, in a variety of more expensive cars inc Jags, and top end big Vauxhalls etc.

I would'nt.

Driving over bitumen roads with potholes/ uneven surfaces, at moderate speed, results in the truck being unstable. It feels like the car is sliding a bit out of control for a few seconds. 

You did not state what type of pick up;

2 door

2 door with cab

4 door

All have different suspension set ups.

The first 2 are designed as workhorses and will have a much heavier/stiffer rear suspension, hence the back end moving about a lot, or breaking loose when empty.

Can be good fun though....

49 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Pickups are what they are a commercial lump so will handle accordingly. At speed they can be a death trap. I brought my Toyo Vigo 4x4 many years ago, great for shifting things for the then new house. But once I had finished that found it almost useless unless you fitted a top for the back end. Rainy season, any luggage would get buggered. Sold it and brought a MPV. Difference was very noticeable. I didn't get buggered legs/back on a run due to their much better seating so was the comfort ride wise. Could get almost as much in the back if loaded correctly. Conclusion would I buy another pickup No. Even though they a somewhat cheaper. Tip make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure.

But You Have.

Never really understood expats buying pick-up trucks, fair enough if you live in the country etc but why get a pick-up for urban Bangkok, pattaya etc.

A couple of old guys in my condo block have the mandatory Ford Ranger, just the thing for that weekly trip to Big-C. They dont fit in half the spots in the small condo carpark, one of the old guys gets the security guard to park as he cant reverse it.

I have an isuzu truck around 3 yrs old. Negative issues:

- Sore back and bum on long trips

- Driving over bitumen roads with potholes/ uneven surfaces, at moderate speed, results in the truck being unstable. It feels like the car is sliding a bit out of control for a few seconds. 

- Last week I was driving in heavy rain on a road in our city and proceeded to overtake at a slow speed. My truck slid for 1 to 2 seconds out of control which scared the shit out of me. A year ago the same thing happened on a gravel road but I was going a bit faster. 

Im thinking of putting several large heavy sand bags in the back of the truck to see if that helps. 

Recently I drove the father in laws new toyota sedan. I felt it was a safer and more comfortable drive at all speeds. 

Does anyone else have these issues?

" Does anyone else have these issues? " No I don't but apart from knowledge and the the drivers ability, there's a few things that sum this up IMO opinion, dosh, suspension design, tyre pressures, ground height, knowing the limitations of vehicle type.

I have an Isuzu smartcab so it's designed to be a workhorse an SUV unless you have big bucks for western specs what do you expect.

Had a Vigo 4 door before and set that up to drive comfortably even better than your moderate car, as for most affordable SUVs what are they in Thailand.

We will still need a truck from time to time not as much now as it has turned out, so when I change suspension which is the main comfort thing with this truck, I shall get rid of the air shocks, the height I'm happy with although it's affects cornering, tyres OK I like em but the rear I put psi same front, that's as good as it gets.

I can't afford a Range Rover 5.0 V8 S/C 565 Svautobiography Dynamic 4Dr Auto or Porsche Cayenne.  ????

Ford Ranger 2016

Love it, replaced the same Bridgestone tyres on it recently after 90,000km's, handles really well, actually loves corners.

Did the research on tyres before I purchased, wouldn't touch nothing from overseas, most tyres for pickups made overseas are not fit for use in Europe so why even bother putting them on your vehicle, only to save a few baht, good tyres will save you in the long run.

Sore back and legs, nope, am 183cm weigh about 85kg and have marked exactly where I like my seat, when and if we are going for a 10 hour drive, I make sure that I take some paracetamol or stronger in case I do feel a little stiff, but stretch well before the journey and every 2 hours after our usual pit stops and coffee.

We can upgrade now that the warranty is over, i.e. sitting on 105,000 klicks, but feel like the pickup is still new, as for speed, I cruise on 100 on most open roads, and have at times opened it up to 160 without an issue handling or stopping.

I would strongly suggest it's your tyres and possibly your pick up if it's a two door as my father in-law has an Isuzu 2 door and it's all over the road, as for potholes the Bridgestones eat them, but I do my best to know where I am driving and avoid them at all costs as I don't want to chew up my tyres (19,200 baht) recently replaced and the suspension in the future.

If and when you do go to change your tyres, do your research and DO NOT listen to most tyre places as they won't tell you tyres are from overseas, although they will try and sell them to you as there is more money in the sale of those tyres, when you do your research you will see that the tyre you want to purchase has a small symbol on it, that tells you it's made here.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Never really understood expats buying pick-up trucks, fair enough if you live in the country etc but why get a pick-up for urban Bangkok, pattaya etc.

I have a pick-up in Pattaya.

I like the ride height which allows me to drive straight through minor floods and affords me a better view of the scenery. I like the space in the back (which I have rarely used). I like that it is nearly as good as an SUV but costs 30% less (from the front seats forward it is exactly like an SUV). I like that the vehicle is strongly built and imposing, which I consider to be an advantage on roads here. As I hardly ever have any weight in it I find that it responds very well when carrying four people and always has vast amounts of reserve power, which cannot be said of many sedans.

I have also driven it in Bangkok and on many short and long trips in Thailand. Parking is occasionally a little inconvenient but I seem to have far less trouble parking my pick-up than most Thai drivers have parking a tiny city car.

We drove this last Friday from Pattaya to Buddha footprint (Chanthaburi province) in our WT2.2 from 2013, a app 180km trip each way.

As always when doing some touring in the Ranger I was amazed how well it did the trip, very comfortable and I was going fairly fast sometimes and it felt very good in the sweeping winding roads. The tires were changed last year, got the same as when new; Bridgestone Dueler 

Pick-up trucks are perhaps a bit unhandy in narrow parking spaces but I find them very good otherwise.

One poster said why have a pick-up truck in Pattaya? Well we got flooding here every year and then the truck come in handy.

Admitted; I been looking at getting a small SUV when we eventually change car but I haven't yet decided if we gonna go that way or get another Ranger with the new 2 lit engine.

I suggest OP looking into getting better tires, they are the contact point to the road and saving money here is not very wise.  

If the OP's truck is 'skating', I would suggest maybe the tire pressures are too high? If they're close enough to what's recommended (there's usually a sticker in the door edge or door frame), then maybe those Chinese tires are are a either hard construction or were already past their ~5-6 year use-by date and have hardened up. Check the 4-digit date stamp on the tire wall (the first 2 digits are the week and the last 2 digits are the year of manufacture) to see what you have.

Nothing wrong with adding some weight and the easiest way is to get a 1" thick Shera sheetrock board and get it cut it to fit around the wheel wells in the bed. That gives you an added, linear weight distribution over the rear axles that doesn't slide about and doesn't reduce the load-carrying area, only the depth of the tray.

Pickups are designed to be loaded. Driving an empty pickup on a wet road is like Russian Roulette. Leaf springs and live axles on the back don't help.

I enjoyed my Mitsubishi Triton pickup when I had it; however, was very careful driving it empty. I took out the bench seat and had a couple of Recaro seats bought on eBay put in. So comfortable, I could do 1000 km in a day and not feel it.

I swear by Michelins as the best tyres for handling and durability. Cost more, but they are worth it.

I wanted to get a Ranger, the 'Boss' wanted a Nissan X-Trail, I asserted my manly rights, and I've been very impressed with the X-Trail. ????

A chassis creates many design compromises compared to a unibody - if comfort, handling and interior space are your priorities over load lugging ability and off road capability, then you can't beat a car based SUV.

The X-Trail is roomy inside, quiet, rides well and handles very well for an SUV.  It also has 4WD and diff locks, but limited ground clearance and a vulnerable looking lower front end, so not a setious off roader, but a great on roader.

One thing I found annoying about my truck, same in any country though, is no matter what I put in the back... let's say luggage or whatever, now when i stop somewhere and need to jump into a store, I cant because there is stuff in the back that will not fit anywhere else. 

You need a topper on the back. So now you have to buy something else for the truck to even be halfway useful. 

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Just need to look at the accidents stats. No 1, motorcycles, No 2 Pick-ups.

And they way I see them driven sometimes, that comes as no surprise. 

Would never buy one.

vehicles in Thailand,  20,289,721 motorcycles, 8,146.250 passenger cars, 6,259,806 pick-up trucks, 

i would think that the pick up truck accident figures are due to overloading, both goods and people, 

i enjoy driving mine, comfortable, smooth, enough power when needed, drive safely with good tyres and set at the correct pressure for the purpose you are using the vehicle for, i would think that if you can not drive a modern pick up safely, then maybe you should not be driving. pick up's don't have accidents the driver does. so a bad driver will have an accident in any type of vehicle they drive. drive beyond the capabilities of the vehicle or your brain, then accident will occur.

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Pickups are designed to be loaded. Driving an empty pickup on a wet road is like Russian Roulette. Leaf springs and live axles on the back don't help.

I enjoyed my Mitsubishi Triton pickup when I had it; however, was very careful driving it empty. I took out the bench seat and had a couple of Recaro seats bought on eBay put in. So comfortable, I could do 1000 km in a day and not feel it.

I swear by Michelins as the best tyres for handling and durability. Cost more, but they are worth it.

So do you agree that it would be beneficial for me to put numerous heavy sand bags in the back of my truck?

I just looked at the price of Recaro seats on eBay. Over $2k for bucket seats. Not cheap

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Would never buy one.

Thats as daft as saying more Pedestrians get run over than Ducks. Thailand is Mo Cy and Trucks.

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Would never buy one.

Others don't know how to drive one, so you don't buy one.

Sorry, makes no sense.

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What Triton had a front bench seat?

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

One thing I found annoying about my truck, same in any country though, is no matter what I put in the back... let's say luggage or whatever, now when i stop somewhere and need to jump into a store, I cant because there is stuff in the back that will not fit anywhere else. 

You need a topper on the back. So now you have to buy something else for the truck to even be halfway useful. 

Once you put a lid on it it becomes almost non useable as a load carrier. I had an electric Carry boy on my truck but when it was closed I could only just fit in an 80lt chiller box as the lid wouldn't close. I can get one over double that size in my MPV with still loads of room left for other bits. And no I don't have to put the rear seats down. 

Archived