I don't think that I would buy another pickup truck in the future

ghworker2010

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1: never use Chinese tires, only take reputable brands ( check reviews from your country of origin)

2: Always be aware of suspension ware of, replace shocks ore often then you think now is needed, again ; choose brand names

3: a pickup truck is designed for transporting load, either place between 300 and 500 kg load on the bed or reduce your springs ( flatten 2 leafs if unloaded )

4: suspension does also includes rubbers around your stabelizing bars beneath your car

average between 40 and 60k kilometer before changing rubbers and shocks, best use gasshocks for comfort ( i use monroe reflex at 20 k per set )

5: never over inflate your tires, if no load then reduce the pressure in the rear to the level in the front tyres

6: check your brakes; if your front does not lock then your rear ones should never lock when full brake is made.

if you have ABS, make sure it works by performing a sudden stop regulary, feel the pulsing in your break pedal, do not pump but apply full force...

Road safety starts with the contact of your car with the road; tires, shocks, suspension, brakes...

Stay safe...

24 minutes ago, Ratt Thai said:

1: never use Chinese tires, only take reputable brands ( check reviews from your country of origin)

2: Always be aware of suspension ware of, replace shocks ore often then you think now is needed, again ; choose brand names

3: a pickup truck is designed for transporting load, either place between 300 and 500 kg load on the bed or reduce your springs ( flatten 2 leafs if unloaded )

4: suspension does also includes rubbers around your stabelizing bars beneath your car

average between 40 and 60k kilometer before changing rubbers and shocks, best use gasshocks for comfort ( i use monroe reflex at 20 k per set )

5: never over inflate your tires, if no load then reduce the pressure in the rear to the level in the front tyres

6: check your brakes; if your front does not lock then your rear ones should never lock when full brake is made.

if you have ABS, make sure it works by performing a sudden stop regulary, feel the pulsing in your break pedal, do not pump but apply full force...

Road safety starts with the contact of your car with the road; tires, shocks, suspension, brakes...

Stay safe...

Change what "rubbers" at 40/60K...?

Mazda BT50 which has done a lot of miles around Thailand, I have found it very comfortable on long drives, but parking is a bitch even at some shopping centers. I find that the Thai standards for making roads, even major highways and inner city roads are not very nice on the average family car, much prefer my old (5 yrs) diesel truck.

Earlier today I was pumping up my Fino tyres at my local PTT, and had set the pressure to 45psi (to compensate for a vey slow leak... I know - not recommended..)

As I left, a Thai guy in an old pick-up truck came to use the air pump, so I pointed out it was still set at 45 psi.. 

Mai pen rai he said, and proceeded to increase it upto 60psi.

Must have been like driving on ice..!

In rain, particularly after extended dry periods, the road surface may be slippery anyway due to the build-up of dust, rubber dust and oil. Generally that level of slickness will not last because the rain will eventually clean the tarmac and which will increase traction somewhat. I drive a Toyota Hilux and only have had the same traction problem once and as soon as I realised I took my foot off the accelerator to regain traction.  

Love my Isuzu. Especially when the rains come. I watch those small sedans drown and struggle. Purchased mine for carrying loads,  visibility and for more respect on the road. Yeah, the ride may not be as good as a sedan but never experienced slide? Yeah, seats were a bit uncomfotable but solved that with a 1k baht seat cover. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:19 AM, worgeordie said:

"chinese brand . Im assuming they are ok." I would not assume

anything made in China, I also have an Isuzu, with Michelin tyres,

and don't have the problems you have.

regards worgeordie

Isuzu with stability control.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, Vacuum said:

No. Car is around 20 years old, tires are about 10 years old, but I drive accordingly.

Anyone driving on tyres that are 10 years old deserves to end up drowned in the khlong. Do you know nothing about the hardening/degradation of rubber especially in hot/sunny climates? 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, thequietman said:

Yes, can't help feeling that the truck was a bad purchase. Never really needed to use the back, maybe 5 occasions in 7 years.

Thinkin of a car but don't wanna get caught up in paying out 10,000 baht for the next 3 to 4 years again.

You can always sell the old one and pay Cash for the New one. then you won't have Payments to worry about. :thumbsup:

Towed a caravan all around Australia with a 4x4 Hilux. Great for the job it had to do but terrible in a city or parking. When we moved up here the gf and family wanted to buy another one. No chance, they are a bugger to get into, and I am not short, nearly need to be a contortionist to put the seat belt on as the anchor point is too far back, turning circle diabolical.

They do not sell station wagons here so bought a Toyota Avanza, while not ideal, has good ground clearance and have carried over 300kg of cabbages to market in it.

I wish I could find the English video of the comedy women (cannot remember their name who drove Range Rovers in London for safety).

Crap Chineses tires that may only be a year old but when were they manufactured. The rubber hardens as it ages. Less grip/traction. Always check the manufacture date. It is in code on the sidewall. Better to stick with quality Japanese/European brands.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

I wish I could find the English video of the comedy women (cannot remember their name who drove Range Rovers in London for safety).

Was it Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders - Absolutely Fabulous..?  Rings a very distant bell for me...

edit.. French & Saunders wrote it.. Saunders starred with Joanna Lumley..

10 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Was it Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders - Absolutely Fabulous..?  Rings a very distant bell for me...

edit.. French & Saunders wrote it.. Saunders starred with Joanna Lumley..

That is the one. Your memory is better than mine. Thanks

9 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

So do you agree that it would be beneficial for me to put numerous heavy sand bags in the back of my truck?

I just looked at the price of Recaro seats on eBay. Over $2k for bucket seats. Not cheap

Three or four at the back of the cabin should be enough. Ensure they stay below the level of the rear window.

I bought the Recaro's second hand, somewhat raggedy condition. I then had them re-upholstered in kangaroo fur.

had my new nissan now for 10 months, brilliant on a long trip as the seat have lumbar support and are adjustable, great ride too, handles the road well and corners ok, think maybe the different models are very different as my wifes Toyota pick up(work) is no where near as good a ride or as comfortable, lumbar support makes a world of difference and the suspension as well. We also have top brand tyres on it, also makes a difference

Really, if you feel the need to load up the back with crap just to get it loaded to feel the benefit then I call your driving skills poor.
Yes it will change the vehicle dynamics but the vehicle was designed to be driven unloaded as well as loaded, it's not a necessity.

In 30 years of driving pick ups and vans etc never have I had to load a vehicle to get it to stay on the road in any conditions.

Mine goes a bit wobbly when I put the limit and more in it (Hilux revo) but I slow down....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, Peterw42 said:

Never really understood expats buying pick-up trucks, fair enough if you live in the country etc but why get a pick-up for urban Bangkok, pattaya etc.

A couple of old guys in my condo block have the mandatory Ford Ranger, just the thing for that weekly trip to Big-C. They dont fit in half the spots in the small condo carpark, one of the old guys gets the security guard to park as he cant reverse it.

The answer I get from ex-pats from all places that bought Ford Rangers when I ask them why??  They all come back and say "Safety"  "If I get in a wreck with this beast I am protected"............I can attest to the durability, having had an accident in an American Pickup Truck at 50 miles an hour, a Korean made Hyundae Bus ran the light and I T-Boned it, I had the right of way, folded up that bus like a baguette, my truck front end was totaled but I got only a small cut on my knee where It hit the brake release.  Lucky the bus was empty or people would have died.

12 hours ago, steve187 said:

vehicles in Thailand,  20,289,721 motorcycles, 8,146.250 passenger cars, 6,259,806 pick-up trucks, 

i would think that the pick up truck accident figures are due to overloading, both goods and people, 

i enjoy driving mine, comfortable, smooth, enough power when needed, drive safely with good tyres and set at the correct pressure for the purpose you are using the vehicle for, i would think that if you can not drive a modern pick up safely, then maybe you should not be driving. pick up's don't have accidents the driver does. so a bad driver will have an accident in any type of vehicle they drive. drive beyond the capabilities of the vehicle or your brain, then accident will occur.

Over 20 Million motorcycles??    Hmmmmm  that is not evident in my travels, clearly four wheeled vehicles outnumber motorcycles hands down, wonder where these stats come from??  If you were talking about Vietnam, I would agree 10000%.

6 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

The answer I get from ex-pats from all places that bought Ford Rangers when I ask them why??  They all come back and say "Safety"  "If I get in a wreck with this beast I am protected"............I can attest to the durability, having had an accident in an American Pickup Truck at 50 miles an hour, a Korean made Hyundae Bus ran the light and I T-Boned it, I had the right of way, folded up that bus like a baguette, my truck front end was totaled but I got only a small cut on my knee where It hit the brake release.  Lucky the bus was empty or people would have died.

Dearborn Ford. Not same same Rayong Ford.

Archived