The Latest Info on Retirement Visas from Immigrations

Well, if this is genuine (and, as a player in the market, your company has a vested interest in it being so) then the embassies that have withdrawn the income letters will have to have a serious rethink on how they are screwing over so many of their citizens if there is no other acceptable way of proving income. Their (coordinated?) action last year was on the presumption that the income based extension would continue in some form or other. I hold out little hope, though.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, billsmart said:

A letter from your embassy verifying you receive a pension (not just any income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month. (As of 2020, this will be the ONLY acceptable proof of monthly income.), or…Embassy will say that you are who you say youare and nothing else.

A letter from the US Embassy will say that you are who you say you are and nothing else so that would mean US citizens are not eligible for extension based on monthly income. OK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nonsense

Not sure who gave you that incorrect info. Both are accepted as of now since many people can no longer get income proof from their embassy. I suggest you read this. Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income

They were very clear about ONLY accepting letters from your embassy regarding pension beginning in 2020. for 2019, they will accept a letter from your bank as I've described.

Retirement Visa Rules 2020.pdf

• Like 1

So now retirement visa has to keep 800 thousand Baht in the bank for a total of six months and after that leave a minimum of 400 baht in for the other six months. I have a marriage visa now and my immigration office keeps asking me to go to a retirement visa and save everyone some paperwork. Can anyone, other than Thai Immigration, tell me why I should use the Retirement Visa over the Marriage Visa that I have had for quite some time now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

First off, what you posted as a PDF file above is not any kind of official Immigration document.

It's a document someone has prepared in English on their own, perhaps the local Immigration office you deal with, but clearly not Immigration HQ.

It may well represent what someone in your local IO thinks the rules will be. But that's hardly official policy.

I'd be happy if that were the case. I have the entire document, the "official" Thai version. I can't read Thai, but I can read English.

3 minutes ago, crees said:

So now retirement visa has to keep 800 thousand Baht in the bank for a total of six months and after that leave a minimum of 400 baht in for the other six months. I have a marriage visa now and my immigration office keeps asking me to go to a retirement visa and save everyone some paperwork. Can anyone, other than Thai Immigration, tell me why I should use the Retirement Visa over the Marriage Visa that I have had for quite some time now?

There is no reason you should change from a Marriage to a Retirement visa unless you get a divorce. The Retirement visa is just there to accommodate ex-pats who want to live in Thailand but are not married to a Thai. Also, I've had both, and a Retirement visa has a lot less paperwork.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

and this is news why? we have been covering that for the past 188 pages&days, it's getting out of hand

For me, the news that beginning in 2020, Immigration will no longer be accepting letters from your bank to prove your income is news to me.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

First off, what you posted as a PDF file above is not any kind of official Immigration document.

It's a document someone has prepared in English on their own, perhaps the local Immigration office you deal with, but clearly not Immigration HQ.

It may well represent what someone in your local IO thinks the rules will be. But that's hardly official policy.

There's a well established pattern here of local Immigration offices making up their own interpretations of things that go beyond or otherwise depart from what the official policy is.

That may be so. I don't think it is, but it may be. It had some new rules of which I wasn't previously aware. I'd suggest anyone that might be affected should check it out at their own Immigration office like I did.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, billsmart said:

That may be so. I don't think it is, but it may be. It had some new rules of which I wasn't previously aware. I'd suggest anyone that might be affected should check it out at their own Immigration office like I did.

The one thing that occurs to me is that, recall, there was an article in Khaosod EN a week or so back talking about the new official Immigration rules re monthly bank transfers into Thailand getting pushback from within Immigration. So I suppose it's possible Immigration might be rejiggering to make that a transitional policy.

But until/unless you post the Thai version of what you have, we're really not going to know what to make of it.

• Like 1