BANGKOK 16 February 2019 06:11
Saltire

How accurate is Google Maps for navigation in Thailand?

I have been driving in Thailand for almost 2 years now but generally no further than Kanchanaburi city from Sangkhlaburi, about 2 to 3 hours and so I now know this route well.

Next week I have a road trip planned to Mae Chaem in Chiang Mai area via Tak for an overnight stop, en route to a friend's wedding.

Most of the route looks like long runs on highways but I am wondering how much to rely on Google maps for directions, especially in and around the towns?

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Saltire said:

wondering how much to rely on Google maps for directions,

Excellent use it a lot to miss highways and towns as much as possible, there's a lot of good roads and scenery off of main route's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Works good

But you should pay attention to where it sends you if you go into remote areas, especially in mountains. It might send you somewhere serious offroad, because for some reason it thinks that's a normal road

Great advice thanks as the last 2 hours or so, I have been told, is very twisty and hilly. On the other hand on the maps for that area there looks like few alternate routes anyway.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I am wondering how much to rely on Google maps

i ride all over Thailand 32k kilometers on my motorcycle using only Google maps. almost 100% accurate for navigation. including right down to small dirt roads in the middle of no where.

also traffic data can be extremely accurate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Great advice thanks as the last 2 hours or so, I have been told, is very twisty and hilly. On the other hand on the maps for that area there looks like few alternate routes anyway.

Google street view is very usefull to see if it's a paved road

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

So going somewhere for the first time may pay to check both the name and by the actual address,

i study my route on street view to see the final location and any stops like PTT to make sure they are really there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The other thing to be aware of is that some businesses and establishments in Thailand have wrong location shown in Google Maps.  Likely their own error. So going somewhere for the first time may pay to check both the name and by the actual address, or at least verify with the place that their Google Maps listing is correct.

I am aware of this foible! I am meeting some friends who have been to the final destination, an hour out in Chom Thong at Tesco Lotus. A look at Street View shows a piece of spare ground where Tesco should be, but the Google camera car  was there several years ago so am pretty sure it will be there now.

I help with car tours lasting several days and covering 100s or 1000s of kilometres. The group relies solely on Google maps and it's location sharing function to get the service team to them.

We are based in Chiang Mai and it has never failed (except in a few mountainous regions), we have also found it very accurate in those countries surrounding Thailand.

I agree with post 10

• Like 1

Very accurate. Use it all the time on the motorbike. Both when cruising around the country, down south, and during occasional visits to BKK. Of course, it definitely helps to keep one's brain on (just in case), as others have observed.

Edited by shadowofacloud
  • Like 2