BANGKOK 16 February 2019 05:53
Saltire

How accurate is Google Maps for navigation in Thailand?

Here in Bkk I find quite a few shortfalls. Grab drivers rely on it to get me home and if they follow GM route it sends them about 4km out of the way. This only started happening around 6 months ago. I switch between GM and Waze and sometimes Waze is better except for the appalling pronunciation of Thai road names!

Works good. Coming back from BKK to Northeast normally 8 hour 

drive. Papa knew the way he was my co-pilot. Left my house at midnight to US Embassy in/out 30 minutes headed back north. 

I drove all the way. 

Drove through an area I didn’t recognize when driving down. So turned on the phone not going the right direction. Show papa and

he insists DONG bi (wrong spelling) 

I kept my cool after driving back and forth through the same town 3 times. Everytime he had me stop so he could ask someone it

was like a ping pong ball. Back and forth. 

Finally i I gave him the zip it sign used the gps until I knew where we were. 8 hours going 14-1/2 hrs coming back. Arrived back home 

at midnight the same time we left the day before. 

I was tired and wasnt a good idea for him to have any input. He kept his mouth shut. He’s learned to tell when I’m fuming mad, 

14 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Its absolutely unreliable outside of big cities. Try driving around Isan with GM and you will be taken on a long way round. Carry paper maps to prove how shit GMaps is. If you look at the paper map which indicates you should go right... several times Gmaps says go left. Completely useless outside of big cities. UNLESS you want the LONG route

Perhaps it depends on the area.

Almost all my driving is in rural areas, often very long distance across very back of beyond places, and it is fine 80-90% of the time. Even for unnamed rural roads.

16 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Its absolutely unreliable outside of big cities.

We used it to do Chiang Mai Mukdahan - error free

Thru the mountains, along the Mekong, back home.

Absolutely reliable

• Like 1

One big fail for me for Google maps is that the concrete road my wife's father's house is on (Mae Chan area) doesn't even exist on Google Maps, and I've noticed other roads don't exist either. OK I know where it is and just need to navigate to the general area. Yet on Microsoft maps and HERE maps they are there and have been for years. I generally prefer Microsoft maps, but of course when that phone is dead I'll need to use Google maps on my android phone exclusively, although HERE is an option there. In busy cities yes Google for sure, it re-routes in real time and Microsoft maps does not.

Edited by Tuvoc

One of my most memorable quotes from Google was:

"In 2 kilometres the road is flooded for 1.5 kilometres"

and it showed visually as well and was spot on!

Recently returned from a round trip from Chiang Mai to Nongsonghong in Khon Kaen. Google maps were excellent for the whole trip. I do get issues from time to time of them being unable to distinguish a road from a buffalo track. Maybe it's as well I have an adventure bike that can cope with most road surfaces.

I have Google Maps on my phone and also TomTom Go. TomTom cost me about 1500B for three years use of worldwide maps. I have used both extensively on three continents.

Google Maps is OK for the price (free) but it is not as good for navigating as TomTom, which also has live data for traffic etc.

Some addresses and locations cant be found by one system but can by the other, though there seems to be no obvious reason for this.

Google Maps is nowhere near as good on small roads, and TomTom downloads the entire map by default (often 1Gb or more) and so can be used completely offline. This can be handy in places with no mobile signal (there are lots of places like this in the USA).

TomTom has a nice website that allows you to create routes and adjust them and sync them with TomTom on your phone. This works very well and I did about 12,000 miles of road trips using it over the last couple of years. Google has something similar but not as good.

One thing I absolutely hate about Google Maps is that it often says stupid things like "head south", as if I had the faintest idea which way south is. Such software should only use directions like forward, backward, left and right, and they should be based on the way your vehicle is moving. Anything else is daft.

So all in all I tend to use TomTom unless it fails me, in which case I try Google Maps.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I have Google Maps on my phone and also TomTom Go. TomTom cost me about 1500B for three years use of worldwide maps. I have used both extensively on three continents.

Google Maps is OK for the price (free) but it is not as good for navigating as TomTom, which also has live data for traffic etc.

Some addresses and locations cant be found by one system but can by the other, though there seems to be no obvious reason for this.

Google Maps is nowhere near as good on small roads, and TomTom downloads the entire map by default (often 1Gb or more) and so can be used completely offline. This can be handy in places with no mobile signal (there are lots of places like this in the USA).

TomTom has a nice website that allows you to create routes and adjust them and sync them with TomTom on your phone. This works very well and I did about 12,000 miles of road trips using it over the last couple of years. Google has something similar but not as good.

One thing I absolutely hate about Google Maps is that it often says stupid things like "head south", as if I had the faintest idea which way south is. Such software should only use directions like forward, backward, left and right, and they should be based on the way your vehicle is moving. Anything else is daft.

So all in all I tend to use TomTom unless it fails me, in which case I try Google Maps.

Tom Tom powers Google Maps

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Tom Tom powers Google Maps

That's interesting. But in that case it is really odd that one of them can get lost when the other doesn't.

Given the small cost (500B/year) I am perfectly happy to pay for TomTom and to use both.

• Like 1

Well for the Average Joe the need to put A Hellfire Missile through a Rag Heads Window isnt realy needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect