Combo Method

3 hours ago, bangkoklasse said:

After reading the 25 replies I know less than I did when I started the thread ???? 

Well, hopefully you know  that:

1. The combo method new rules are unclear and open to different interpretations

2. It is possible your IO will require that you have at least 400K seasoned in the bank and not spend it

3. You had best ask your IO well in advance before counting ion using this method, especially if #2 would be difficult for you

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Some nationalities have used commas where others use full stops in the past. My point actually is whether the translation should be interpreted exactly as you claim, or is that too an error. Yes as written 400,00 (sic 400,000)  is the minimum in the case of 800k in the bank, OR combi... method. But does that make sense? It appears very harsh to make someone with say 55,000 pcm pension income need to maintain 400,000, when to achieve the 800,000 a deposit of 140,000 should suffice. 

(Unless the aim is indeed to cover those emergency medical bills!)

When I first read the new order my “interpretation” was that you need a minimum of 400K, and I gave my opinion on the forum based on that interpretation. Since then I have had it confirmed by two contacts within immigration — one being a senior officer in Bangkok — so I am now 100% sure that, how it’s written (badly), is it’s intention.

The change makes sense because; the cash element of the combo method reflects the rules of the cash only method, and because they have imposed a 400K min balance on the cash only option, they have to do the same with the combo method.

I don’t know how many expats using the combo method are, but I suspect it’s less than 10%. Those with 50K etc incomes that were using a small bank balance, and don’t have any other money, have a problem, but again I suspect that number is very small.

43 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I don’t know how many expats using the combo method are, but I suspect it’s less than 10%. Those with 50K etc incomes that were using a small bank balance, and don’t have any other money, have a problem, but again I suspect that number is very small.

That is not what the new post from. Tanoshi says. It give examples of how the new combo method will work. You can have a small amount of savings plus monthly income as long as adds up to 800K.

Yes, see this thread. According to this (from senior division IOs Division 4) , the minimum amount is not a fixed 400k but whatever 800K minus your 12 month income is. So if your income were really low it could even be more than 400k and conversely it could be less.

But whatever it i, it has to remain in the bank all year.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083740-marriageretirement-interpretations-explained/page/7/?tab=comments#comment-13834835

7 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

That is not what the new post from. Tanoshi says. It give examples of how the new combo method will work. You can have a small amount of savings plus monthly income as long as adds up to 800K.

I wouldn't bank on it yet.

I have been given different information from a senior officer at CW. The information I got was similar to another member who posted the requirements handed to him by an office.

Basically you need 800K in income/cash, but the minimum balance of cash must be 400K.

We will have to wait and see because it's clear already that even immigration officers disagree.

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

I wouldn't bank on it yet.

I have been given different information from a senior officer at CW. The information I got was similar to another member who posted the requirements handed to him by an office.

Basically you need 800K in income/cash, but the minimum balance of cash must be 400K.

We will have to wait and see because it's clear already that even immigration officers disagree.

Well there is one solution, we all upsticks and move to Roi Et or Khon Kaen.  Unfortunately my IO is the one Bill Smart posted about. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

My concern on that one is that many people on pensions will not achieve the 65,000 pcm requirement, and be forced into either the combi method, or agents. Whether the number is small is not the point, what is their alternative if they wish to remain here?

This combi method is now not much of an alternative, and actually means people need only verify an income of 35,000 pcm, (plus the 400k) all numbers between that figure and 65,000 are meaningless.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

The change makes sense because; the cash element of the combo method reflects the rules of the cash only method, and because they have imposed a 400K min balance on the cash only option, they have to do the same with the combo method.

Honest applicants, with no embassy letter, who cannot transfer a full 65K/mo of their total income would likely switch to combo to make up for any shortfall in what they can afford to send here monthly.  A 400K minimum in a Thai bank will make that more difficult for many.  The only possible result is ensuring they have to go to an agent, or leave the country.

1 hour ago, a977 said:

Just thought I'd throw the brown envelope in for a laugh, if you've been following the threads you'd get the joke

Yes, it would be foolish to try that.  They could make an example out of you, then use it to prove they are "cracking down on corruption," as the agent-deals continue unabated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My concern on that one is that many people on pensions will not achieve the 65,000 pcm requirement, and be forced into either the combi method, or agents. Whether the number is small is not the point, what is their alternative if they wish to remain here?

This combi method is now not much of an alternative, and actually means people need only verify an income of 35,000 pcm, (plus the 400k) all numbers between that figure and 65,000 are meaningless.

IMO the combo method is looking favourite, even if there is a minimum balance of 400K. I don’t like the idea of tying money up needlessly.

If I were retiring under these new rules I think I’d apply on the income basis for the first year by transfering 65K for 2/3 months before the first application. Once the extension was granted I’d reduce my monthly transfer to the amount I actually need every month. Then before the second year renewal I’d top up my immigration bank account up to meet the 800K combo requirement; and use the combo method thereafter.

Worst case, from year two onwards, is tying up 400K, but hopefully less. I’d then have a separate account for emergency/other money etc.