Stupid farangs

Lacessit

Today I'm on my scooter with my GF. Stopped at a red light. It goes green. I move off, and next thing I'm steering around a farang on foot who has decided to cross the intersection AGAINST a red light. In my rear vision mirror, cars and scooters are trying to get around him as he walks on. Didn't appear to be drunk or high.

What is it about farang bicycle riders that gives them the illusion they are immortal? Presumably because they are so environmentally aware compared to us polluters, they act as if they have right of way anywhere. Until they get splattered by a cement truck.

Perhaps the Thai authorities should consider an intelligence test for farangs before granting visas. Don't ask me who should design and assess it, that's too hard. Certainly not most Thais I "share" the road with.

Rant over.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, damascase said:

You had to steer around a farang on foot and then you start a rant about farang cyclists? What’s the connection?

I am also confused.

And if a pedestrian did he have his own traffic light? VERY unlikely.

Not all are so smart to watch the countdown timers etc. before doing the rabbit run across.

As far as Brits are concerned, in the UK, and especially around London, many cyclists are an arrogant bunch of morons, who think they have some kind of entitlement to ignore the law and  to use the road over and above motored vehicles.  If they bring that attitude to here, they won't last too long at all. Same with a few farangs crossing the road.  In their own country they may be able to saunter across at a leisurely pace , knowing that vehicles will slow down for them.  Good luck having that attitude in Thailand, as many have found out to their cost.   

31 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Lacessit if they required intelligence tests from us farangs most of us would fail, as we all left our brains behind when we came here.:cheesy:

It is called Love ,  imho .

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

As far as Brits are concerned, in the UK, and especially around London, many cyclists are an arrogant bunch of morons,

If you think they're bad try the Netherlands and (nearly as bad) Belgium. They will happily hit a pedestrian rather than change direction or (breakneck) speed.

57 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Lacessit if they required intelligence tests from us farangs most of us would fail, as we all left our brains behind when we came here.:cheesy:

That's very true, and i can't find (obviously) any rational explanation for that.

6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

He also ranted about and insulted Thais at end of his barrage!  Clearly he has no connection with anything rational.

Well, insulting everyone when stuck in traffic sounds very normal to me.

35 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

As far as Brits are concerned, in the UK, and especially around London, many cyclists are an arrogant bunch of morons, who think they have some kind of entitlement to ignore the law and  to use the road over and above motored vehicles.  If they bring that attitude to here, they won't last too long at all. Same with a few farangs crossing the road.  In their own country they may be able to saunter across at a leisurely pace , knowing that vehicles will slow down for them.  Good luck having that attitude in Thailand, as many have found out to their cost.   

One day perhaps you will explain why pedestrians and cyclists manage quite well to share the same space, but throw motorists into the equation..... words such as inconsiderate, selfish, thoughtless, idiots, morons, suddenly become frequently used.....????

50 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

I enjoy these threads.  If, for no other reason, to see if there will be any new and exciting ways to spell farang.

You'll be delighted to know some one has just opened yet ANOTHER thread on the subject then!

31 minutes ago, 473geo said:

One day perhaps you will explain why pedestrians and cyclists manage quite well to share the same space, but throw motorists into the equation..... words such as inconsiderate, selfish, thoughtless, idiots, morons, suddenly become frequently used.....????

It's simple really, the motorist is driving a one ton motorised vehicle that is X wide and Y long, at a speed that will likely kill anything  it hits.  If cyclists and pedestrians can't understand and appreciate this simple fact, and account for it in their own behaviour,  then they shouldn't be in the same space. I walk and cycle and I am very aware at all times that I am the most vulnerable person around at that time.  I act accordingly and I certainly plan on not being seen, or considered,  by those bigger, heavier and stronger than me. 

US situation too. They are arrogant, want roads narrowed and replaced by bike lanes at millions of dollars per mile. I like riding bikes but I’m not going to block roads single file with a Lycra wrapped butt in a motorists windshield for miles. There is plenty of space on roads for bikes and cars as long as people drive / ride carefully.

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It's simple really, the motorist is driving a one ton motorised vehicle that is X wide and Y long, at a speed that will likely kill anything  it hits.  If cyclists and pedestrians can't understand and appreciate this simple fact, and account for it in their own behaviour,  then they shouldn't be in the same space. I walk and cycle and I am very aware at all times that I am the most vulnerable person around at that time.  I act accordingly and I certainly plan on not being seen, or considered,  by those bigger, heavier and stronger than me. 

Regardless of your considered approach unfortunately you will be still be regarded by motorists as the moron on a bicycle you describe above..........

The fact is motorists are habitually insensitive to the needs of pedestrians, cyclists, even their own kind, who may carry the audacity to slow their progress. 

I don’t necessarily think it’s stupid. If they live here they know the drill and know they have to go whenever and however they can. It’s all a risk either way and no one safe, not even on the sidewalk.

Archived