Stupid farangs

Lacessit

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Regardless of your considered approach unfortunately you will be still be regarded by motorists as the moron on a bicycle you describe above..........

The fact is motorists are habitually insensitive to the needs of pedestrians, cyclists, even their own kind, who may carry the audacity to slow their progress. 

I'm afraid  that there is not a car yet manufactured that affords the same all round vision accorded to the pedestrian, or indeed the cyclist.  They should remember that fact. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roads are designed and built for motorized vehicles.

Not for bicycles.

Ride one at your peril. But same in the West. They figure because they are 'Green' and 'Saving' the planet. they should get better treatment.

Their arrogance is exceeded only by their ignorance.

Had one hit my 67 Chevy once - turned left right in front of me. I stopped and helped him up - ranting and raving and got my license number to report me to the cops.

Long story short - he was at fault. After that spew I made him pay for the tiny, barely noticible scratch on my hood where his handlebar hit.

Moron.

Your complaint is about a Westerner going through a red light (on foot or on a bicycle) in Thailand?... 

Learnt from the locals...  !!!

But... Many Westerners here stroll down the road without a care in the world as if they are at home and have absolute right of way.

I recall driving down the road (a Soi off Sukhumvit) behind foreigners who were walking and talking in the road... It didn't occur to them to move to the pavement... of course, when I passed them in my car, quite closely, but slowly they didn't like it... 

But, for the most part what the Op has described is a rarity... Yes there a dumb foreigners here as drivers, motorcyclists, pedestrians and cyclists... but the majority are quite fine... The same with the majority of Thai's on the roads - they are quite fine.

Its the minority percentage of idiots (5%?) which being a greater minority percentage of idiots in our home countries (<1%) which makes the roads dangerous and sometimes gives cause to sweeping generalizations.... 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I'm afraid  that there is not a car yet manufactured that affords the same all round vision accorded to the pedestrian, or indeed the cyclist.  They should remember that fact. 

Enough making excuses for selfish car drivers, how do I know they are insensitive to the the requirements of cyclists, pedestrians, and other road users?

Because the professionals, the majority of trucks and buses, wait for the correct opportunity, leave a load more space, and overtake at reasonable safer speeds, this I experience on a daily basis!!

All around vision - poppycock

Greatest danger motorists pose to cyclists and pedestrians

Abysmal parking blocking roads, pavements, and cycleways

Not enough room when passing

Pulling out without looking or indicating, or underestimating the speed of approaching cyclist

Overtaking and turning left immediately

Not indicating at junctions or roundabouts

Opening car door into traffic

Not knowing rules of the road

Motorway speeds on rural roads

To name but a few!!

26 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not for bicycles.

Ride one at your peril. But same in the West. They figure because they are 'Green' and 'Saving' the planet. they should get better treatment.

Had one hit my 67 Chevy once - turned left right in front of me. I stopped and helped him up - ranting and raving and got my license number to report me to the cops.

Long story short - he was at fault. After that spew I made him pay for the tiny, barely noticible scratch on my hood where his handlebar hit.

Moron.

Yeah it's ok for a motorist to park half on the pavement, block a cycle lane, force cyclists, pedestrians with prams out onto the road, but heaven forbid a cyclist exercises his right to be on the road

Why do you think there have to be speed limits? Motorists are too selfish to maintain an appropriate speed for their surroundings, and frequently endanger others

52 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not for bicycles.

Moron.

I'm a Cyclist, Motorcyclist and Car Driver (In Bangkok)...  and of course pedestrian... 

The way I see it, as a pedestrian its my job to get out of the way of the all traffic on the road and look after myself.. but, trying to cross the road in busy traffic is a horrible experience in Thailand. 

As a Cyclist I believe we should have insurance to cover the cost of an accident should we scratch a car and be at faultiest (I don't btw - I'm owning up to my own hypocrisy !). Cyclists should not be permitted on some roads, it's just too dangerous. 

As a motorcyclist we should be more considerate of the cars... In BKK I see the motorcyclists as being the cause of most of the danger to cars, other motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians... many of the motorcyclists take too many chances and just don't care for the consequences.

As a driver, I need to keep an eye out for the pedestrians, stop for them at crossing etc... keep an eye open for motorcyclists and not 'over-react' when cut up by a bike... I try and leave space for motorcycles and cycles to lane split in jams.

Generalising is difficult... but whenever there is an issue with a pedestrian, a cyclist, motorcycle or a car its because one or both parties is an idiot who fails to be considerate of another.... 

Don't get me started on the refrigerated pickups and delivery vehicles... or the trucks steaming through junctions... 

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Generalising is difficult... but whenever there is an issue with a pedestrian, a cyclist, motorcycle or a car its because one or both parties is an idiot who fails to be considerate of another.... 

Seeing recent reports, I guess you will be including the poor awareness and behavior of electric poles, as being another bain in the life of of our 'we do no wrong' motorists

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seeing recent reports, I guess you will be including the poor awareness and behavior of electric poles, as being another bain in the life of of our 'we do no wrong' motorists

....where did I mention 'do no wrong' motorists?  are you attempting to argue with the wrong post?

"whenever there is an issue with a pedestrian, a cyclist, motorcycle or a car its because one or both parties is an idiot"

Blame usually lies squarely with the idiot... 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

....where did I mention 'do no wrong' motorists?  are you attempting to argue with the wrong post?

"whenever there is an issue with a pedestrian, a cyclist, motorcycle or a car its because one or both parties is an idiot"

Blame usually lies squarely with the idiot... 

It's ok you failed to grasp the sarcastic comic intend of my post

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

..but not the kool aid...

Another exciting chapter of "Victor Meldrew's Day Out."

Enid Blyton would be envious..

Victor Meldrew? That's a blatant libel. You made it worse with reference to Enid Blyton. Beware, my alcoholic Thai quasi brother in law has been assigned the task of tracking you down to punish you.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Lacessit if they required intelligence tests from us farangs most of us would fail, as we all left our brains behind when we came here.:cheesy:

No no no Colin. Your comment only applies to UK citizens, who are starting off a low base. We Aussies are just too modest to tell everyone else how smart we are, as we don't want to create inferiority complexes unnecessarily.

what about the farangs NOT wearing a helmet on a motorbike, are they not risking more lives than a bicyclist?  or the farang who drinks and gets on a motorbike?  

usually people are fat, lazy, and mad at someone being fit.  there are no laws for cyclists going through a red light, so farangs want to make up laws to suit them.  then they get mad inhaling the smoke as they don't have insurance, a helmet, and a big beer belly.

figure out how many cyclists die a year on their pedal bike.  come back to me.....

a farang on a motorbike......i've seen hundreds who come to CM to learn how to ride, and put everyone in danger.  cyclists?  almost nobody.  

and cyclists, i'm sure, have a higher IQ than drivers.  and don't get me started on the farangs who walk in the road when they could be on a sidewalk.  or the farangs who walk in groups on the road.  or ones who go see bar girls with no protection....now that is stupid.  

Let's lighten things up....

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze;
He turned away the good old horse that served him many days;
He dressed himself in cycling clothes, resplendent to be seen;
He hurried off to town and bought a shining new machine;
And as he wheeled it through the door, with air of lordly pride,
The grinning shop assistant said, "Excuse me, can you ride?"
"See here, young man," said Mulga Bill, "from Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy's Gap to Castlereagh, there's none can ride like me.
I'm good all round at everything, as everybody knows,
Although I'm not the one to talk - I hate a man that blows.
But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight;
Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a wildcat can it fight.
There's nothing clothed in hair or hide, or built of flesh or steel,
There's nothing walks or jumps, or runs, on axle, hoof, or wheel,
But what I'll sit, while hide will hold and girths and straps are tight:
I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern right straight away at sight."

'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that sought his own abode,
That perched above the Dead Man's Creek, beside the mountain road.
He turned the cycle down the hill and mounted for the fray,
But ere he'd gone a dozen yards it bolted clean away.
It left the track, and through the trees, just like a silver streak,
It whistled down the awful slope towards the Dead Man's Creek.

It shaved a stump by half an inch, it dodged a big white-box:
The very wallaroos in fright went scrambling up the rocks,
The wombats hiding in their caves dug deeper underground,
As Mulga Bill, as white as chalk, sat tight to every bound.
It struck a stone and gave a spring that cleared a fallen tree,
It raced beside a precipice as close as close could be;
And then as Mulga Bill let out one last despairing shriek
It made a leap of twenty feet into the Dead Man's Creek.

'Twas Mulga Bill from Eaglehawk, that slowly swam ashore:
He said, "I've had some narrer shaves and lively rides before;
I've rode a wild bull round a yard to win a five-pound bet,
But this was the most awful ride that I've encountered yet.
I'll give that two-wheeled outlaw best; It's shaken all my nerve
To feel it whistle through the air and plunge and buck and swerve.
It's safe at rest in Dead Man's Creek, we'll leave it lying still;
A horse's back is good enough henceforth for Mulga Bill."

A.B. (Banjo) Paterson

Reminds me of a time in Ho Chi Minh a few years back when a young women on a scooter was pumping her horn behind me because I was walking and she couldn’t get by ... which would of course be fair if it wasn’t for the fact that she was driving down the pavement at the time. A common sight in Vietnam.

As far as Brits are concerned, in the UK, and especially around London, many cyclists are an arrogant bunch of morons, who think they have some kind of entitlement to ignore the law and  to use the road over and above motored vehicles.  If they bring that attitude to here, they won't last too long at all. Same with a few farangs crossing the road.  In their own country they may be able to saunter across at a leisurely pace , knowing that vehicles will slow down for them.  Good luck having that attitude in Thailand, as many have found out to their cost.   
I saw a cyclist in CM the other day, he had 'I'm a vegan' sticker on his bike. I tried 3 times to knock him off his bike with my car, unfortunately he managed to get away.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This isn't specific about any race, both farangs and Thais do it.

I met quite a lot of people who would cross (jaywalk) the road seeing that I was coming their way. It's as if they think we would brake and stop for them in the middle of the road (that is not a pedestrian crosswalk)

No wonder the accident rate is so high because they didn't learn about simple traffic rules before crossing.

Look right

Look left

Look right again and if NO incoming traffic

Cross

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Any chance of clearing up if you encountered a Farang pedestrian or cyclist?

The post didn't make a lot of sense the way it's written.

I said " a farang on foot" and "walks on". I suppose he could have had a bicycle with him; however, I think I would have mentioned if that were the case. Pedestrian.

The post didn't make sense to you. Others seem to have understood it OK.

14 hours ago, damascase said:

You had to steer around a farang on foot and then you start a rant about farang cyclists? What’s the connection?

I don't know, but tourist farang bicycle riders in C M are uniquely stupid. They think they can pedal leisurely around the old city 2 abreast without getting flattened. Believe me I've wanted to flatten a few of them myself. It's usually of the bagpacker generation that can't go anywhere without checking their phone first. Some shouldn't be allowed on the plane.

12 hours ago, 473geo said:

but heaven forbid a cyclist exercises his right to be on the road

Never said he did not have the right to be in a place not designed and built for him.

But he was in the wrong - read my post - and paid for it.

I see many bikes - world wide - ridden by Birkenstock-wearing yahoos in Spandex weaving all over the road. The light turns green and they swerve in front of a car or pickup and - damn - pump them pedals !

My Moron comment stands.

15 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Not for bicycles.

Moron.

was there a scratch on the  'bonnet' too? ???? 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

was there a scratch on the  'bonnet' too? ???? 

Where I come from - girls wear bonnets, cars have hoods.

Men wear boots, cars have trunks.

And we drive on the correct side of the road, as sword battles are a thing of the past 555

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And we drive on the correct side of the road, as sword battles are a thing of the past 555

Elephants have trunks. Also men swimming in the sea.

23 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

No mate, you have it all wrong. We call them bonnets because we invented cars at a time when ladies wore bonnets, We drive on the side of the road where the cars we invented first drove. If its a trunk, why don't you call a ladies booty a trunky? And never piss off  a man with a sword, unless you have an assault rifle.  Oh yes,  I forgot, you all have one of those , fair play on that one  

Archived