AIS Speed Upgrade: A Tip

Greenside

Was on the Power 4 package on a 30/10 service (pretty quick at the time) and took up their contract end offer to keep the package at an increased speed of 50/20 and a 50% discount for 6 months.  I was using my Asus DSL-N55U router with the AIS modem/router set as a bridge.  The day of the upgrade came and went with no speed improvement and after many phone calls a team of three AIS guys turned up this afternoon.  On the basis that their ZTE F660 router was the problem,  they replaced it with a single port modem and a new router despite the fact that I want to use my own.  Could see that the speed from the modem was OK but still couldn't get it on my network so after much head scratching and calls to the boss, someone had a brainwave and checked the QoS setting in my Asus and Lo and Behold it was limiting the speeds.

I'd never tampered with the Quality of Service settings but it looks like the previous owner of the router had. Anyway this is just a heads up that if you're having a similar problem check the QoS settings in case the same is true of yours.

Speed now 55/20 in Thailand and to Europe.  Phew!

8 hours ago, shady86 said:

Does anyone knows the advance router access username and password? I tried as fibre and it doesn’t work anymore.

Service provider?

Router make and model?

For AIS Fiber, and a Huawei HG8245H it is (or was before I changed it) @ 192.168.1.1

Username: admin 
Password: aisadmin 

16 hours ago, Greenside said:

I was using my Asus DSL-N55U router with the AIS modem/router set as a bridge. 

I probably shouldn't ask, but why are you using a xDSL modem/router as a secondary router?

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

Hg180. Admin and aisadmin is the normal login. You can't change advance settings such as WAN in it.

That's their FTTc VDSL modem.

It runs custom AIS firmware, which prevents users from mucking it up too much.

What are you trying to do?

mtls2005:  "I probably shouldn't ask, but why are you using a xDSL modem/router as a secondary router?"

Because I was using it before I changed to fibre and the original ZTE F660 modem/router that AIS provided had the most crappy firmware and UI on the planet.  The Asus N55U accepted the Ethernet WAN input from the bridged F660 and served my LAN for years without any major issues except some complications with port forwarding using the AIS THDDNS to get around their Carrier Grade NAT.  

AIS have now left me with a Fibrehome router (SR120-A) set in bridge mode with a single port ZTE fibre modem (ZXHN F601) supplying its WAN port.  I tried to explain that I didn't want another router as I've got good wi-fi and couldn't see why the modem shouldn't connect directly to the ASUS Wan port (I've done this before with different AIS equipment but the same Asus router and it works fine) but trying it out this morning in the hope of re-deploying their router as an access point somewhere else in the house, doesn't seem to work.  Trying to reach the log-in page by hooking my PC directly to their SR120 router doesn't work either and shows a 400 error.  Hmmm. 

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

AIS have now left me with a Fibrehome router (SR120-A) set in bridge mode with a single port ZTE fibre modem (ZXHN F601) supplying its WAN port. 

I'm a bit confused, and may be able to help, if you need it...

Can you describe the AIS bits and bobs in a bit more detail?

Can you describe what it is you're trying to do? More detail is always better than none.

The ZTE Fiber Modem (ZXHN F601) is understood. That should terminate fiber, and be uplinked to your Asus N55U.

No clue what the Fibrehome router (SR120-A) is? Who is the manufacturer of this device? What connections does it provide?

Thanks for the offer.  Having got the correct speed on the tarif I'm paying for I'm now left with this extra router sitting between the fibre modem and my Asus N55U.  Here it is:

IMG_20190211_162804.thumb.jpg.8c4eb6856afaebdbc9db60b4be22d0c3.jpg

IMG_20190211_162844.thumb.jpg.2d5620ed340dfeb3a7a934641d252c3b.jpg

A quite tidy looking Chinese branded AIS wireless router - here's the OEM site link.  I wanted to simply connect the modem to the Ethernet WAN port on my Asus and use the Fiberhome as an access point but having just found those brief specs, I don't see any mention that it can do that.  At the very least getting it out of the system would save a bit of desk space!

My recollection was that the N55 setup was like this when I connected directly to a modem in the past.  One thought: The N55 LAN IP address is 192.168.1.2 as the old AIS router was 192.168.1.1 and the Fiberhome is too -  might that be an issue?

1604121402_WANSetupPage.JPG.e0f0228f168ff24e8980057bae9587c1.JPG

I have had issues in the past where the provider oversubscribed.  In your case, originally they were supposed to provide 30, but it is possible they provided 40.  In some cases I have seen that this oversubscribing was causing issues so I would set my own limit of say something like 32.  Of course, if you than upgrade your speed you would have to upgrade your limit or eliminate it altogether.

15 hours ago, Greenside said:

I wanted to simply connect the modem to the Ethernet WAN port on my Asus and use the Fiberhome as an access point but having just found those brief specs, I don't see any mention that it can do that.  At the very least getting it out of the system would save a bit of desk space!

You should be able to use your Asus as the Primary router (with the ZTE single-port router currently enabled as a Bridge), and the Fiberhome as a Secondary router (or vice versa) but they would have to be uplinked/connected via wired ethernet. Either, acting as a secondary router, could supply both wired and wireless connections. (I do not believe that you could connect the two routers over a WLAN connection, although there are inexpensive, ~ 1,200 baht, multi-mode devices which can do this.)

There are a ton of guides re: properly configuring a second router, on Youtube.

Thanks for your suggestion but the ZTE device is only a Fibre Network Terminal, not a router.  I think at this point I'd simply settle for finding a way to connect my Asus directly to it and take the FiberHome router out of the system altogether. 

I have another device I could set up to cover a wi-fi shadow area - I just fancied trying to use the FiberHome Router as it looks more powerful.  All my devices are cabled except for phones which is of course what my stepson wants to use for seemingly endless hours of YouTube surfing.... 

12 minutes ago, Greenside said:

but the ZTE device is only a Fibre Network Terminal, not a router.

Correct, initially - without looking at the specs - I assumed it was a single-port router, but now see that technically it's a SINGLE PORT ETHERNET BRIDGE (and GPON), it forwards all packets between the WAN (fiber) and LAN (GBE) connections.

I'd actually like to change to this ZTE/Fiberhome combination as, at a quick glance, it appears to be vastly superior to my older Huawei HG8245H.

Thanks for highlighting this newer equipment.

8 minutes ago, Greenside said:

So why do you think they insisted on putting the the FiberHome router in between the ZTE and my Asus?

Not sure, other than to say that that is their "standard - official" offer (ZTE+Fiberhome) which makes for a complete package (router, GBE, WLAN)? The Asus is technically, what I might call, a third-party device, for which any support might be limited.

I guess.  Shame, because the router looks like an OK bit of kit which is now sitting there simply as an unnecessary bridge.  Oh well, a move up from 30/10 to 50/20 for 370 baht a month until July is a good deal and not to be sniffed at!

Thanks to all with help and advice ????

35 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Shame, because the router looks like an OK bit of kit which is now sitting there simply as an unnecessary bridge. 

I admit to being thick, but the Fiberhome router could be set up as a Primary or Secondary router, and the Asus could be set up as a Secondary or Primary router, assuming an ethernet uplink between the two. 

It's slowly starting to dawn on me that maybe AIS configured the Fiberhome router as a BRIDGE - I see you did mention this fact previously, perhaps at your request, and uplinked it to your Asus which is acting as your PRIMARY (Sole) router? 

Your conclusion is exactly right, except that I tried everything I could to explain that I wanted a direct connection from the ZTE to my Asus and didn't need another router, but they wouldn't even try.  I thought I'd be able to sort it out myself after they left and that's when I ran into the issue I described in post #6:

1. Can't access the AIS FiberHome router to even see how it's set up
  2. My Asus internet doesn't work when connected directly to the output from their fibre modem via the WAN port and with the settings in the screenshot I attached (which, by the way are OK when it's connected to the FiberHome router.

Don't sweat it unless the challenge is bugging you!  It's not the end of the world, just irritating and confusing.

I'm not sure which device, the ZTE or Fiberhome, contains your WAN credentials (username and password for the WAN connection: aisfibre_ipv6_ipv4_pppoe)? Did AIS give those to you? They might be on the work order they left.

And I'm not sure which device is acting as your DHCP server?

I think it's the Fiberhome router in both cases but I can't figure out for sure as very few people seem to have this config, at least as far as I can determine.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Can't access the AIS FiberHome router to even see how it's set up

I'd plug an ethernet cable in directly from a PC, restart both the Fiberhome router and the PC, then try 192.168.1.1 with admin/aisadmin. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 11:08 AM, mtls2005 said:

I admit to being thick, but the Fiberhome router could be set up as a Primary or Secondary router, and the Asus could be set up as a Secondary or Primary router, assuming an ethernet uplink between the two. 

It's slowly starting to dawn on me that maybe AIS configured the Fiberhome router as a BRIDGE - I see you did mention this fact previously, perhaps at your request, and uplinked it to your Asus which is acting as your PRIMARY (Sole) router? 

I have the similar situation with you, I got a ZTE F601 (Gpon)& a ZTE H298A (Router) from AIS.

I have a router with PADAVAN firmware base on ASUS AC54U.

Now my network map is F601 + AC54U, F601 is working as a Gpon and AC54U as a router to make an ppoe dial up and providing wifi signal etc.

The important thing is your router must have the VLAN tagging function.

My solution is as below:

1, call AIS call center, let them set your device to bridge mode

2, connect AC54U's wan port to F601 rj45 port with cable

3, This is most important step, BEFORE you set up your router by setting wizard, you should set VLAN tagging first. This setting have some other confusing name and difficult to be located, you can refer to the below picture from ASUS website, you should set the VID as 10 :

0bf9fff6-c7ee-4ab5-96db-521a17e2ebbd.png 

4, set up your router by setting wizard

May these can help you!

English is my ESL, sorry for any inconvenience caused ???? 

I have TOT fiber service they supplied ZTE F601 fiber converter box too... I plugged my Asus RT-AC86U wan port into the ZTE and configured the ASUS to use PPPoE. I specifically had to ask the installation team for my PPPoE username and password...did you get yours ?
If its correct then the ASUS should be able to negotiate a connection its self....maybe you also need to clone the AIS modem MAC address ? ? ?

On 4/22/2019 at 12:44 PM, johng said:

I have TOT fiber service they supplied ZTE F601 fiber converter box too... I plugged my Asus RT-AC86U wan port into the ZTE and configured the ASUS to use PPPoE. I specifically had to ask the installation team for my PPPoE username and password...did you get yours ?
If its correct then the ASUS should be able to negotiate a connection its self....maybe you also need to clone the AIS modem MAC address ? ? ?

I didn't have TOT fiber ever.

But regarding of AIS, I just call AIS call center, and tell them I want use my own router, so I need the username and password, than they give them to me.

Maybe you can try to make a call to TOT????

One more important thing is  you need tell them to turn your F601 to bridge model, they can do ti remotely.

oh, there still need your asus have VLAN tagging feature, in case of AIS, the vid should be 10.

You need to figure out what's the right vid number of TOT.

12 hours ago, runox said:

Maybe you can try to make a call to TOT????

One more important thing is  you need tell them to turn your F601 to bridge model, they can do ti remotely.

My setup works already...I was asking @Greenside (sorry for confusion)

all I had to do was replace the ToT supplied router with my ASUS, input the correct PPPoE username and password in the ASUS and it connected first time.

As far as I know the ZTE F601 is already in "bridge mode"   it just takes the  optical signal and converts  it to Ethernet then sends along to the router

ZXHN_F601_Datasheet.pdf

edit_P_20180602_131623.thumb.jpg.2a2a6dd9dbd27a8507e8b210ea488479.jpg

425399517_P_20180602_131701(Large).jpg.b7d94427cc623cb2a2681afac32bed85.jpg

edit_P_20180602_131615.thumb.jpg.e37457c42ee4c387ff60d23f4d45a211.jpg

1378628144_ASUSPPPoE.jpg.5b42dcacd26dbf0341a375d0401a0382.jpg

edited_merlin.jpg.79578e1a7324aae7de6f9281b39119f5.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have done this before on my AIS fiber connection and the answers are already in this topic, altough a bit scattered.

AIS will normally tell you to use bridged mode as that is what their company instructs them to do LOL.

Basicly you keep their ONT and router combo the same, and plug your router in whatever port is bridged, which is usually port 1. Then you go into your router and select PPPoE as configuration type, and enter your name and password. Both are simply your 10 digit AIS number, probably on a sticker on the router. There is no need to mess with VLAN ID's in this setup as this is still done by their router in bridged mode.

If you want to eliminate their router entirely, you need o set the following things:

1. PPPoE mode and username and password

2. MAC adress cloning, use the adress of the original AIS router

3. Set VLAN ID to 10

That should make it work.

Archived