BANGKOK 16 February 2019 20:48
Greenside

AIS Speed Upgrade: A Tip

I guess.  Shame, because the router looks like an OK bit of kit which is now sitting there simply as an unnecessary bridge.  Oh well, a move up from 30/10 to 50/20 for 370 baht a month until July is a good deal and not to be sniffed at!

Thanks to all with help and advice 🙂

35 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Shame, because the router looks like an OK bit of kit which is now sitting there simply as an unnecessary bridge. 

I admit to being thick, but the Fiberhome router could be set up as a Primary or Secondary router, and the Asus could be set up as a Secondary or Primary router, assuming an ethernet uplink between the two. 

It's slowly starting to dawn on me that maybe AIS configured the Fiberhome router as a BRIDGE - I see you did mention this fact previously, perhaps at your request, and uplinked it to your Asus which is acting as your PRIMARY (Sole) router? 

Edited by mtls2005

Your conclusion is exactly right, except that I tried everything I could to explain that I wanted a direct connection from the ZTE to my Asus and didn't need another router, but they wouldn't even try.  I thought I'd be able to sort it out myself after they left and that's when I ran into the issue I described in post #6:

1. Can't access the AIS FiberHome router to even see how it's set up
  2. My Asus internet doesn't work when connected directly to the output from their fibre modem via the WAN port and with the settings in the screenshot I attached (which, by the way are OK when it's connected to the FiberHome router.

Don't sweat it unless the challenge is bugging you!  It's not the end of the world, just irritating and confusing.

I'm not sure which device, the ZTE or Fiberhome, contains your WAN credentials (username and password for the WAN connection: aisfibre_ipv6_ipv4_pppoe)? Did AIS give those to you? They might be on the work order they left.

And I'm not sure which device is acting as your DHCP server?

I think it's the Fiberhome router in both cases but I can't figure out for sure as very few people seem to have this config, at least as far as I can determine.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Can't access the AIS FiberHome router to even see how it's set up

I'd plug an ethernet cable in directly from a PC, restart both the Fiberhome router and the PC, then try 192.168.1.1 with admin/aisadmin.