Unusual/odd sights/places/activities in Bangkok?

whitek

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe nothing for you but if you are are around there why not take a pic.

There is a "plane graveyard" with an old 747 and an MD80 in Soi 103 Ramkhamhaeng Road | Hua Mak, Bang Kapi.

Gets less and less worthwhile because the planes rot more and more so maybe take the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a number of independent art galleries and museums..a small traditional house converted to museum on Asoke. I enjoy going up rooftop bars . Also there is a restaurant in a train carriage somewhere. There used to be a restaurant that claimed to be the biggest in the world...where the service staff have to use roller blades to get around. Go up and down the river on the regular cheap commuters boat...Visit the ethnic Mon island on the chao praya river. Check out for any festivals happening..

There's a number of independent art galleries and museums..a small traditional house converted to museum on Asoke. I enjoy going up rooftop bars . Also there is a restaurant in a train carriage somewhere. There used to be a restaurant that claimed to be the biggest in the world...where the service staff have to use roller blades to get around. Go up and down the river on the regular cheap commuters boat...Visit the ethnic Mon island on the chao praya river. Check out for any festivals happening..

On 4/6/2019 at 2:38 AM, Mister Fixit said:

Also The Mall Ngam Wong Wan.  Easily get-attable on the 522 bus from Victory Monument for 15 baht.  It goes up the motorway so only about 20 minutes or so.

The Mall is worth a wander to fill in a few hours with all the usual stuff, chain restaurants etc.  There's a large cinema on the 6th floor too, as well as the swimming pool (where you'll be made wear a silly cap, whether you're male or female).  

Pantip Plaza up the road is also worth a wander and has a lot of computer and mobile phone stuff.  At weekends there is a good flea market on the 8th floor with a very eclectic mix of stuff.  The 7th floor has a good mix of small stalls too with a good range, from electrics, tools, clothing and other odds and sods.   

A few minutes taxi ride (or a 10 baht bus ride)  up the road is Esplanade Ratthanathibet with ice skating and bowling.

If you are a real glutton for punishment, you can then take a bus or taxi another mile along Ratthanathibet Road to Central Ratthanathibet for even more shops.  It's much smaller than The Mall Ngam Wong Wan though.  

I thought Pan tip had effectively closed? And been replaced by an IT mall in the outskirts

On 9/13/2019 at 9:59 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I thought Pan tip had effectively closed? And been replaced by an IT mall in the outskirts

11 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Not when I last looked at all 8 floors and all the customers yesterday.

You're talking about different Pantips.  The 8 story one is Pantip Mall in Nonthaburi, not the old one in Pratunam.

image.png.490f2f19ce2dccbb767249314476abfa.png

5 hours ago, ballpoint said:

You're talking about different Pantips.  The 8 story one is Pantip Mall in Nonthaburi, not the old one in Pratunam.

image.png.490f2f19ce2dccbb767249314476abfa.png

I'm not quite sure who you are referring to in your post - me or t'other chap.

I am well aware of the 8 floor Pantip in Nonthaburi.  I live 5 minutes away and my wife's business is opposite it.  I was in there only an hour ago.

The other Pantip at Pratunam WAS closed for a while whilst it was being refurbished but it re-opened at least a year ago, if not even more.  Perhaps t'other chap was thinking of that one.

Archived