BANGKOK
whitek

Unusual/odd sights/places/activities in Bangkok?

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, uhuh said:

Swimming pools with water slides and  nice view on the roof of several branches of The Mall, e.g. Bang Khae, Bangkapi. Half price after about 5pm.

Also The Mall Ngam Wong Wan.  Easily get-attable on the 522 bus from Victory Monument for 15 baht.  It goes up the motorway so only about 20 minutes or so.

The Mall is worth a wander to fill in a few hours with all the usual stuff, chain restaurants etc.  There's a large cinema on the 6th floor too, as well as the swimming pool (where you'll be made wear a silly cap, whether you're male or female).  

Pantip Plaza up the road is also worth a wander and has a lot of computer and mobile phone stuff.  At weekends there is a good flea market on the 8th floor with a very eclectic mix of stuff.  The 7th floor has a good mix of small stalls too with a good range, from electrics, tools, clothing and other odds and sods.   

A few minutes taxi ride (or a 10 baht bus ride)  up the road is Esplanade Ratthanathibet with ice skating and bowling.

If you are a real glutton for punishment, you can then take a bus or taxi another mile along Ratthanathibet Road to Central Ratthanathibet for even more shops.  It's much smaller than The Mall Ngam Wong Wan though.  

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 2/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, VocalNeal said:

Royal Thai Air Force Museum.

235234.jpg

Been meaning to go there for years.  Must get on with it.  

On 2/12/2019 at 7:52 AM, Nyezhov said:

I do that with the Chao Phraya Express Boat. Ride to Nothanburi, walk around, eat, go back

Nonthaburi market is a good wander round.  I live not far away and there's some good shopping there.  There are a couple of stalls there which sell decent beef too.  

Also the old wooden town hall by the river is worth a quick look and the Chinese temple behind it.   

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Nonthaburi market is a good wander round.  I live not far away and there's some good shopping there.  There are a couple of stalls there which sell decent beef too.  

Also the old wooden town hall by the river is worth a quick look and the Chinese temple behind it.   

Hell yeah. One of the nicest local markets around. A mini Khlong Toei and Wanglang all in one.

I love that temple. Sometimes I would go up there just to burn one by the river, look at that temple, and get me some lunch.

My kid says that the green steamed shu Mai thingys  she gets from a lady near 7-11 at the pier is the best she ever had, and she is a freak for those....

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

A nice long-ish trip is by MRT to Central Westgate and Ikea at Bang Yai.  It's a huge mall and you can easily get lost in Ikea.

Take the MRT from Sukhumvit/Asok or Mo Chit/Chatuchak to Taopoon then change onto the Purple Line to Bang Yai.  Loads to do in Westgate if you like shopping.

It's a fair way to go from downtown BKK so lots of different sights to see.

• Like 1

I saw a reasonably clean crustafarian on Khao San Road one time...that was odd and unusual.

• Haha 1

Iron Balls Gin Distillery.  Sukhumvit 63.

image.png.f95c992d7fe05875c2a2218464b6e48c.png

• Haha 1

couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

-Jim Thompson house: https://goo.gl/maps/XaqgHJy1Pjff3n6M6

-Jim Thompson outlet: https://goo.gl/maps/fqw4Y9RAYfTWuViZA

-Pratunam market and platinum fashion mall for cheap clothing

-Mae Varee for mango sticky rice: https://goo.gl/maps/qKDt9Z9kH8tscGio6

-the non-tourist food court at MBK

-the animal section at JJ market

-the crocodile farm in samut prakan - definitely some controversy around this zoo, but where else can you feed chicken carcasses or fish to crocodiles?

-Ancient city

-dusit zoo?

Definitely visit the National Museum.  Check the hours and days it is open before you go.  I enjoyed the Dusit zoo.  Big lake, lots of greenery.  Sit down on the numerous park benches there and get some sun along with the green monitor lizards that tend to be all around there.  Quite peaceful actually.  I second taking the BTS skytrain.  To me it is a pretty good ride around town and a good look see out the window.

Dusit Zoo has been closed for around 6 months, the animals are due to be relocated to a new zoo in Pathum Thani.

Going back a few years now but I once saw 3 motorcycle taxis not riding on the pavement in Sukhumvit 😑

Posted (edited)

There are ten private small museums. The are odd restaurants suchcas one in a train. Try doing a tour of all the roof top bars. Get high getting high. Try shooting ranges, see a snake farm and ride an elephant. Go to Tawan Daeng and the studio, home of the morlam international dub band. What Bang Phra for the magic tatoo festival 

Edited by sunnyboy2018