It’s getting dangerous to breathe in Khon Kaen

webfact

Unfortunately this has all come along at the wrong time for any politician, nearing voting time.

The solutions to these issues are widely know, have been for decades in some countries.

The causes, the effects & the solutions are all out there, it's not rocket science.

Thailand has the normal set of pollution problems plus a few related to the Thai way of life.

What the problem is, is it will mean taking tough measures against certain offenders.

Meaning voters!

1) It will mean taking polluting vehicles off the road... disruption to peoples lives/business

2) Taking polluting trains off-track... disruption to peoples lives/business

3) Taking polluting boats out of the water... disruption to peoples lives/business

4) Testing and closing polluting companies... disruption to peoples lives/business

5) Stopping any outdoor burning of any kind, be it agricultural or in the production of materials... disruption to peoples lives/business

6) Stop any refuse burning unless it is filtered, be it on a private or commercial scale... disruption to peoples lives/business

So you can see why politicians are treading carefully, non want to make false promises about cleaning up pollution that they may be held accountable for after March.

Non want to do anything now that will lose them votes.

So watch the hose-pipes spraying water skyward as the only solution they are willing to try.

54 minutes ago, crickets said:

whydont the use the planes to spot the fires and then fine the farmers, band aide policy.

You don't even need planes. You can easily spot the info from publicly available satellite images, and even download apps that show what fires are currently burning.

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Prayuth didn't mention to stop the burning of fields....he will focus on diesels and factories.

It might be bad, this burning.

However, the biggest problem for the air quality is, indeed, factories.

Diesel engines, of course don't help, but what about aeroplanes??????

1 hour ago, Unify said:

You don't even need planes. You can easily spot the info from publicly available satellite images, and even download apps that show what fires are currently burning.

NASA FIRMS (Fire Information for Resource Management System) - HERE

Example of Today's fires in Bangkok vicinity and Cambodia taken at 1400. The day began at 0800 (All Times Bangkok local time - relatively sparse fire activity)

FIRMS_021215_1400.jpeg.5bcf69af352e67ec8a556fa230549e09.jpeg

3 hours ago, connda said:

' . . . bad air in the North from Feb to May, bad air in Bangkok every time that . . . '

Oh, you disappointed me, connda. I was sure you were going to say 'every time that Prayuth - the country's caretaker - opens his mouth'. I wonder how much energy he's putting into his diesel engine ban and factory closures spoutings right now. What? . . . three o'clock? . . . he'll still be on hors d'oeuvres.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Cane burning is contributing massively to the horrific air quality throughout the nation. Cane is a major culprit, along with diesel vehicles, that are not properly maintained, which is probably 90% of the Thai fleet of cars, pickups, trucks, and trains. 

Some Bangkok residents took to social media to share photographs of the pollution's apparent physical impact. Nutthawut Sirichainarumit, an office worker in the Thai capital, shared a photo of what appears to be blood in his hand. “I was totally shocked because I never sneezed blood before in my entire life," he wrote on Facebook. Meteorological events that trap noxious pollution in Bangkok have exacerbated the pollution crisis.

And what are the stunningly incompetent authorities doing? Removing diesel offenders from the road? No. Tightening emission standards? No. Regulating cane burning? No. What then? Barely anything but spouting a continual torrent of promises, that are rarely, if ever fulfilled. That is Prayuth and the hapless army. That is what they do. Barely anything.

Our proud nation, as it stands today:

fl-sugar-burning-objections-20150619-001.jpg

3500.jpg

images-1.jpeg

theres-nothing-wrong-with-rolling-coal-1413242970209.jpeg

images.jpeg

yeah  looks  "cool"  on that black  pick up...............Thai mentality 101

Today at about 12:30 I had to go northbound on the western ring road and there was a fire had just been lit to get rid of household garbage that had been dumped alongside of the road, there was polystyrene that is used for packing around cooking appliances and refrigerators plus black plastic garbage bags. When I returned at 18:00 that fire was till burning plus about 20 acres of bushland, this is not sugar farms, factories or diesel vehicles, this is gross laziness and filthy by local people dumping their household rubbish in the bush and setting on fire. The toxic fumes from the burning polystyrene and plastic bags is far worse than any sugar farm burning. There needs to be something done about this type of thing instead of blaming everything else for the problem.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, watcharacters said:

I doubt it'd be fair to categorize Thais as  genetically ignorant.

No, I said "in general" nothing to do with genetics. 

On 2/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, watcharacters said:

And that education situation or lack  thereof unquestionably goes right back to the Thai government's responsibility 

Yes I agree would be very easy to raise awareness. 

Archived