Second huge cache of meth seized in Chiang Rai

webfact

Second huge cache of meth seized in Chiang Rai

By The Nation

82ac640ccb98bc1313ec8ce21b8ba3e4.jpeg

Police found two million meth-amphetamine tablets in a pickup truck in Chiang Rai province on Sunday.

876a1bf6c246d04ea3f22adfd2297e12.jpeg

The pickup drew the attention of officers at a checkpoint in Mae Lao district because of the canvas covering the cargo bed. They’d been tipped off that a large drug shipment might be coming in from Myanmar.

Driver Suthee Manoruang, 33, was ordered to pull over and then arrested when the drugs were discovered. 

Two days ago, more than 4.4 million meth pills were seized in a similar incident in Chiang Rai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30363851

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-11

They must have some pretty sophisticated labs in Myanmar, but would be surprised if they are stopping 10% of the traffic.  Netflix should do a season of Narcos that focuses on the cartels running that show in neighboring Burma.  Shine a light on it instead of ignoring it and they may be able to put a bigger dent in the traffic.  However, the War on Drugs is unwinnable. History pretty much is a testament to that fact. During their short, dangerous lives the members of the cartels tend to be the winners. End-users, tweekers, are the ultimate victims.
If Thailand wants to really address the methamphetamine problem, they should adopt Portugal's model for dealing with drug use, abuse, and trafficking, i.e.,  Decriminalization, medical interventions, treatment, and education while still attempting to stem the illicit trafficking.
Meth, like crack cocaine, is a problem for sure.  I feel sorry for all the wreaked lives. 

It all makes Walter While look like a bit player in the scheme of things. They seem to catch lots but I know this is just the tip of the iceberg on what is going on in the scheme of things. As the expression goes, many governments have declared a "War on Drugs,........... and Drugs has won."

On 2/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, mickymouse1 said:

How come the Burnese side police &  customs allow those shipments go through?????????

Because there are none, except at "official" border crossings. The North West border of Thailand with the neighboring Shan State in Burma runs through forested mountains with no restrictions. You can drive from Mae Sai up into the mountains and traverse a narrow road on which you can drive between the two countries - absolutely ideal for smugglers. At Thaton, the River Kok flows down from the Shan Plateau through steep sided forests towards Chiang Rai and the Mekong with just a high wire strung between the river banks marking the border. There is a small Thai military post but nothing significant to my knowledge. I have sailed under this wire unhindered and, by the way, I am not a "mule".

Archived