Pedestrian flyover considered after student killed while crossing road

webfact

Pedestrian flyover considered after student killed while crossing road

By The Nation

e0299a27ad1faba8dd52921c0129acee-sld.jpe

Relevant authorities are planning to build a pedestrian flyover in front of a college in Nakhon Pathom province after a motorcycle fatally hit a 15-year-old student while she was crossing the road.

Hataipat Tantasirin was hit while she was walking across the zebra crossing to the College of Dramatic Arts Salaya on January 22. She succumbed to her injuries on February 8.

Though badly affected by the loss of her daughter, Neungrutai said she was glad that the authorities are finally paying attention to the safety of people who have to cross roads. 

“If a pedestrian flyover is really built at that spot, at least my daughter’s death with not be in vain,” she said, adding that she will take legal action against the motorcyclist right to the end. 

Hataipat’s seven-day funeral ceremony will be held at Lao Temple in Bangkok’s Bang Khunthien and she will be cremated on February 17.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30363857

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-11

A fly-over? How about enforcing traffic - especially when students are crossing the road? Crossing guards- when students cross the road. New concept? That's why Thailand will never advance from a 3rd world countrie's inept thinking. "if" I were the parent of a child that was killed, I gurantee you that I would demand justice- either take this scumbag's license away (not that the police would ever check legitimate licenses), OR SHAME HIM where no wais are acceptable.Thailand....get your shit together or else you will be forever branded as a 3rd worl country.

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

well in that case, flyovers are necessary in towns all over Thailand as the reckless and careless drivers (provided they are Thai and not farang of course) are all over and fear at most, say a 2000 THB fine if they kill anybody ...

Fly-overs are necessary? And how did the "fly-overs" avert this tragedy? Pathetic....people losing their lives and a wai as well as a "pittance" of compensation. Again...."if" this was your child, would you simply accept the "oh well"?

18 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Saddly this type of tragedy has a short shelf life ....Pedestrians and people are just an inconvienience ,Thailands money machine cant afford to worry about such trivialities,and it does not fit their narrative....TIME FOR AN HONEST TAXI DRIVER TALE TALE..

2 minutes ago, TMNH said:

So does Thailand accept the loss of life as "oh well"?. if so, then more reason to never park my butt in that country.

It should not matter whether a taxi driver hit the child...the point is that Thais have no <deleted> driving skills and should not be driving- whether a car or moped. And even more so, "if" I hit someone and unfortunately killed them, i would be seriously affected. Thais? Nope...just go on with your regular activities. And that is what I'm saying. WHY are Thais oblivious to harm? Empathy......"if" it happened to the Thais that are so insensitive to these tragedies- in other words..."if" a family member was maimed or killed, would they feel differently?

I know a couple Thai natives that I occasionally speak with and I get the sense that their "empathy" is non-existent. And there-in lies the issue:)

44 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Fly-overs are necessary? And how did the "fly-overs" avert this tragedy? Pathetic....people losing their lives and a wai as well as a "pittance" of compensation. Again...."if" this was your child, would you simply accept the "oh well"?

Well mate, you are 1 of the only people who care about this.

Here it is me first, never get in my way or else.

A wai and a few baht compensation, now that is a laugh.

When i was paralyzed by a local government official, no wai, no visit, nothing, not 1 baht compensation, because the police claimed it was my fault, the fact he was travelling the wrong way made no difference.

Near us there's a school on the ring road. There is also a pedestrian bridge for them to use. Instead of walking twenty five metres to the bridge, every day all the kids run across the ring road.

It needs the idea of 'safety' to be engrained into the kids - something that's an alien concept here unfortunately.

made the road larger in front of the school, 8 lines instead of the usual 4 and place some red marks on the road with write slow down, do not paint any pedestrian crossing lines and let some monkey brained idiots drive 2 tons pick ups after watching a 5 hours video... This is how you will have a safe road and Thailand 4.1 it's done!

"When there is school", you post a sign to slow down- especially when boarding vehicles. And then, you can hire a person who stops traffic when children are crossing. And "if" i came into actual meeting with the <deleted> who hit the student, then i would be absolved of the reaction. In other words, guns to people that do this...there is no other way. And Thai gov't....if for some reason you read or monitor, YOU are at fault. Get some balls and do your job(obviously when pay-offs are not in the picture).

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Near us there's a school on the ring road. There is also a pedestrian bridge for them to use. Instead of walking twenty five metres to the bridge, every day all the kids run across the ring road.

It needs the idea of 'safety' to be engrained into the kids - something that's an alien concept here unfortunately.

The same in front of one part of Sakon Nakhon University on rd 22 ;

a beautiful fly-over and nobody use it; always running across the twice four lanes .:post-4641-1156693976: ;

yes eight  lanes..

That's what it takes, someone has to get killed first. We've had many accidents outside my kids school and we asked for a pedestrian bridge but he road is not wide enough, according to some idiot rules. We have 1 policeman and 2 safety guards on the zebra crossing all day,  but the motorbikes just speed pass them, they know that they won't be fined, and the fines are so ridiculously low anyway should they be caught.

If they build a pedestrian bridge, at least you have the option to cross the road safe. There will still be lazy ones, and those who trust their amulets.

Where I live, there are 2 flyovers, about 300m apart. One in front of a Big C, another in front of a Bangkok Bank. From my many observations, I would say that 1 in 10 people use it to cross the road. The others rather walk across the 2 x 4 lanes and hope for the best. Guess, takes too much energy to walk up the stairs in this heat...maybe flyovers will provide a solution, but only if elevators or escalators are installed too.

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

The same in front of one part of Sakon Nakhon University on rd 22 ;

a beautiful fly-over and nobody use it; always running across the twice four lanes .:post-4641-1156693976: ; 

yes eight  lanes..

So near you they're obviously a higher suicide risk by crossing eight lanes - we only have four in total.

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

That's what it takes, someone has to get killed first. We've had many accidents outside my kids school and we asked for a pedestrian bridge but he road is not wide enough, according to some idiot rules. We have 1 policeman and 2 safety guards on the zebra crossing all day,  but the motorbikes just speed pass them, they know that they won't be fined, and the fines are so ridiculously low anyway should you be caught.

If they build a pedestrian bridge, at least you have the option to cross the road safe. There will be lazy ones, and those who trust their amulets.

That sounds like a Thai solution - amulet rental specifically for road crossing.

What they'd need is an overhead rope pulley, so that once one kid has crossed the road, the amulet can be returned to the other side, ready for the next victim contender.

3 hours ago, TMNH said:

I know a couple Thai natives that I occasionally speak with and I get the sense that their "empathy" is non-existent. And there-in lies the issue:)

But it took three hundred years for the western countries to climb up the empathy scale after laying a solid  economic foundations based on colonizing and looting other cultures, murdering native population, and abducting people for chattel slavery. Give them time they to develop empathy. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Hataipat Tantasirin was hit while she was walking across the zebra crossing

The city should be sued for negligence leading to injury and death.

• The zebra crossing attracts pedestrians to cross the road at a specific location with the implication of safety. It is in essence a traffic control feature that is no different than a traffic light. It's presence is an admission of traffic danger to pedestrians without any physical traffic control.
  • If the city had knowledge and experience that zebra crossings are ineffective in providing a safe pedestrian crossing in an area where there is little or no effective traffic law enforcement, it has in effect increased the potential for pedestrian injury or death at its zebra crossing.

2 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

How about enforcing pedestrian priority at the zebra crossing to start with, otherwise why bother putting it there in the first place? Sadly it seems they are treated as a road decoration and roundly ignored.

You mean they're not a decoration? Whale oil beef hooked.

Maybe instead of zebra crossing, they should be renamed giraffe crossings - an equally tall story regarding it's real use.

5 hours ago, TMNH said:

A fly-over? How about enforcing traffic - especially when students are crossing the road? Crossing guards- when students cross the road. New concept? That's why Thailand will never advance from a 3rd world countrie's inept thinking. "if" I were the parent of a child that was killed, I gurantee you that I would demand justice- either take this scumbag's license away (not that the police would ever check legitimate licenses), OR SHAME HIM where no wais are acceptable.Thailand....get your shit together or else you will be forever branded as a 3rd worl country.

All good points however the rtp should also be seriously shamed for their total lack of attention to this specific scenario - in fact IMHO they are derelict in their duties.

See it all day at the zebra crossing on Ram. Road near Soi 23, people try to cross using the zebra crossing, vehicles toot to make them scatter out of the way. Police box about 50m away, cops never ever pay any attention. 

Archived