Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

webfact

Patong bike rental shop fined B2k after death of British 17-year-old

By The Phuket News

1549710512_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers at the scene of the accident in Kamala that killed 17-year-old British tourist Anthony Ryan late last month. Photo: Kamala Rescue

PHUKET: The rental operator in Patong that rented out the motorbike that 17-year-old British tourist Anthony Ryan was riding when he crashed and died late last month was fined only B2,000, Kamala Police have confirmed.

Young Mr Ryan was on holiday with a friend when he lost control of his motorbike and drove into the oncoming lane and straight into a minivan on the coastal road between Kamala and Patong on Jan 24.

Lt Col Yossaphat Suwannasit of the Kamala Police who has been leading the case told The Phuket News. “The rental shop owner was fined B2,000 last week. Vehicle rental companies that rent vehicles to people who do not hold a valid driving licence must be fined B2,000.”

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-bike-rental-shop-fined-b2k-after-death-of-british-17-year-old-70342.php#VbyC0Sq7HrRi6yeH.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-11

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your insurance may be declared null and void if you:

• Ride a motorcycle without a licence that is valid. 
  • Drive a car without a licence that is valid.
  • Are a passenger in (or on) a vehicle that is being driven by an unlicenced person.
  • Are under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
  • Operate a rental vehicle in violation of the rental agreement.
  • In any circumstance, admit that you are at fault, or offer to pay any money.

Onus is squarely on the hirer, how the insurance or third party is paid out on the hire motorcycle and damage to the mini van is an ethical question that requires greater control and policing, 

No licence sorry,  no can hire ! ( dream )

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Fining the rental company 2000 baht just shows how cheap life is here.

Only thing that matters is money, and getting more money.

I was taken out by someone breaking the road traffic law, ended up in hospital in a coma near death and a life of disability and pain. Their penalty? Around 10000thb. And that was in Australia. 

They can only fine people to what the legislation allows unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, colinneil said:

This is an understatement...even if the person who rented the moped was of legal age, then it would be determined "who" was at fault. And it does not matter...."if" the person who hit the moped is at fault, then it would have to be determined whether a minor (or other tourists who don't know the road rules) is at fault. I'll go with Thais for $500 Alex:).

2 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I was taken out by someone breaking the road traffic law, ended up in hospital in a coma near death and a life of disability and pain. Their penalty? Around 10000thb. And that was in Australia. 

They can only fine people to what the legislation allows unfortunately 

Yes but police can stop them from trading, the police colonel said he couldnt even remember the shops name.

Now that shows how much they care about life.

And I'd love to observe the driving skills? of those who are entrusted to uphold these infractions. When will this all end? how many lives  do have to be lost until YOU (and I have your number:)...meaning the inept Thai gov't. do SOMETHING about it.. Until then...you are being watched and will be prosecuted if appropriate:)

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

Your insurance may be declared null and void if you:

• Ride a motorcycle without a licence that is valid. 
  • Drive a car without a licence that is valid.
  • Are a passenger in (or on) a vehicle that is being driven by an unlicenced person.
  • Are under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
  • Operate a rental vehicle in violation of the rental agreement.
  • In any circumstance, admit that you are at fault, or offer to pay any money.

Onus is squarely on the hirer, how the insurance or third party is paid out on the hire motorcycle and damage to the mini van is an ethical question that requires greater control and policing, 

No licence sorry,  no can hire ! ( dream )

If you read the linked story, the victums mate, a licensed rider, rented the bike.

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read the linked story, the victums mate, a licensed rider, rented the bike.

From my understanding of the report, the shop rented out two bikes to someone with one valid driving licence. The shop didn't check for licences for each person renting the bike, but the shop appear to admit it was for someone else.

Just down to money again, and the shop owner thinking they could stretch a point by renting two bikes to one person, knowing full well who the other person was - the second person must have driven away from the rental shop on the bike:

"However, Col Yossaphat also added, “The operator explained that they had rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license to rent the two bikes for himself and for 17-year-old Ryan.”

Considering the rental shop’s explanation, it was not explained exactly what the shop was fined for."

3 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

I suppose the bike was well stuffed too. So there's that on top of 2000B.

I agree, and I really veel or the shopowner iv he is not reimbursed or the loss ov the motocy. Very, very vew tourists have a motorcycle license, let alone an IDP. As var as the boy is concerned: it' s called thinning the herd. Totally his own vault. You can' t stop stupid.

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Nah. If the bike had been defective in some way, I could see a larger fine. But that's the fine for renting to an unlicensed driver. What that driver does afterward is on the driver. I agree with the fine in this case. 

45 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes but police can stop them from trading, the police colonel said he couldnt even remember the shops name.

Now that shows how much they care about life.

Or, in my opinion, either unwilling or too lazy to check to disclose the name.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Having a bike rental shop is not illegal.

renting bikes is not illegal

renting bike to someone without a license is an offence punishable by 2000 baht fine.

what did you want or expect police to do? Why should rental shops be prohibited from renting ?

should Toyota be closed down because someone does not wear a seat belt and dies in crash?

Is that his friend by the ambulance? With how she wears the purse, tourist-like....so did she have a license ? If not, was the shop fined? If not, the regulation is a joke as the shop was fined only b/c there is an accident to give the impression Thai gov follows their own rules.....

this business practice will continue as neither party wants to hurt the money flow....

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Who is to blame ? The rogue unscruplous vehicle rental crooks of Thailand or the stupid, mindless tourists, who loose all common sense when in Thailand ?

Can't happen to me, I'm young ! (that's how you get soldiers on to a battlefield)

41 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The bike and car rental shops are getting fined 2000 baht for not having a International driving permit according to my friend

As I pointed out on the other thread, it is impossible for a 17-year-old to have a UK motorcycle licence for the cc of bike that was hired. Motorcycle licences are tiered in relation to age and tests/courses passed. The lad had no valid UK licence.

Archived