Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

webfact

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Your insurance may be declared null and void if you:

• Ride a motorcycle without a licence that is valid. 
  • Drive a car without a licence that is valid.
  • Are a passenger in (or on) a vehicle that is being driven by an unlicenced person.
  • Are under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
  • Operate a rental vehicle in violation of the rental agreement.
  • In any circumstance, admit that you are at fault, or offer to pay any money.

Onus is squarely on the hirer, how the insurance or third party is paid out on the hire motorcycle and damage to the mini van is an ethical question that requires greater control and policing, 

No licence sorry,  no can hire ! ( dream )

Thats utter nonsense. My (and many other) insurance will cover driving without license...i read the whole policy.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes but police can stop them from trading, the police colonel said he couldnt even remember the shops name.

Now that shows how much they care about life.

I think "I can’t remember the shop’s name” could indicate that maybe a little "slippery business" went on and the cop didn't want it going any further.

Sorry, but the renter knew he had no licence, he knew the score, a tough lesson but nothing really beneficial is going to come from fining the rental company 2000 baht or 2,000,000 baht, it isn't going to fix anything. The renter was not a child, he was of the legal age to drive in the uk. About time people started to take responsibility for their behaviour! When they make the rental company responsible for policing foreign renters driving licenses, will it or should it stop there? What about a health check or maybe a sight test ? at the end of the day you have to take some responsibility for your self. I know this will come as a huge shock to members of the UK's snowflake generation, where Mother State takes care of their every need from the tit to the grave.

First of all, another young life has been snuffed out in the highway carnage of Amazing T. RIP, and sympathies to his family and friends.

The article cited says:

rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license.

As long as the renter was a legally qualified rider, and the shopkeeper saw no evidence of intent to allow an unlicensed driver to operate the bike, no evidence of mental impairment in the renter from whatever, and, had every reason to assume the bike was mechanically safe ... imho, the shop is not liable, but, the renter could well be liable for damages to the bike, and, possible civil or criminal charges for letting an unlicensed driver use it resulting in death.

However, the failure of the shop to see a valid passport as required by law may be a complicating factor.

Relevant questions: was an autopsy done for blood alcohol, or other substances ? Where was the renter of the bike at the time of the accident ?

~o:37;

7 minutes ago, orang37 said:

First of all, another young life has been snuffed out in the highway carnage of Amazing T. RIP, and sympathies to his family and friends.

The article cited says:

As long as the renter was a legally qualified rider, and the shopkeeper saw no evidence of intent to allow an unlicensed driver to operate the bike, no evidence of mental impairment in the renter from whatever, and, had every reason to assume the bike was mechanically safe ... imho, the shop is not liable, but, the renter could well be liable for damages to the bike, and, possible civil or criminal charges for letting an unlicensed driver use it resulting in death.

However, the failure of the shop to see a valid passport as required by law may be a complicating factor.

Relevant questions: was an autopsy done for blood alcohol, or other substances ? Where was the renter of the bike at the time of the accident ?

Which law requires rental shop to view passport ?

27 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Thats utter nonsense. My (and many other) insurance will cover driving without license...i read the whole policy.

No insurance policy in the known universe covers driving/riding a vehicle without a license. suggest you re-read the policy. 

17 minutes ago, orang37 said:

There is no law that the shop needs to see a valid passport, or even a current visa. Rental shops hold/copy passport so you cant do a runner.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

No insurance policy in the known universe covers driving/riding a vehicle without a license. suggest you re-read the policy. 

I suggest you go wash your mouth and do your homework.

This is Thailand, don't forget that small fact.

Where I come from, I used to rent many trucks. To rent a second one, I had to present an additional driver with a valid licence. Common sense says that I can only drive one at a time.

Thus, the same must apply to the rental shop. He knew somebody else was riding bike number two. And he probably knew that it was Ryan (with no licence). Shop skirted the law to do the rental. Shop carries major responsibility.

2,000 baht ! $70 in my home country currency. Here, the shop would face life-long financial hardship for their actions.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

I suggest you go wash your mouth and do your homework.

This is Thailand, don't forget that small fact.

It could be Thailand or Afghanistan, No insurance companies issue policies that cover driving/riding without a license.

Can you post a copy of this policy ?

Its ridiculous statements like yours that possibly lead to a 17 year old without a license renting a bike and thinking he is fully insured.

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

Which law requires rental shop to view passport ?

Read the linked story: 

First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

i blame the kid.  and maybe his parents.  17 should not be unsupervised with a motorbike in the LOS.  too young.  parents should set the bar at 25.  parents should have researched how dangerous it is here.....really, it's really easy to find how many die on the roads.  but, oh no, it won't happen to me....let my kid have some fun in LOS and experience life.  no, bad.  

if you had a kid and they said, 'parents, i'm 17...gonna rent a motorbike in LOS... ok?  we cool?'   no, we are not kool.  lol

it's a dangerous behavior, and all parents know 17 is very, very, very young.    maybe i sound bad, but i actually want this to stop.  

2000B. Hardly much of a deterrent but the renter is also responsible for his own decision to rent. 

Unwittingly put his life on the line with some help from unscrupulous, non caring, money hungry operators who, if they had adhered to the law requirements, could have prevented the unnecessary death of this 17 year old. 

Stupidity and greed. A lethal combination that will no doubt end up on the front pages again and again whilst this sort of behaviour is tolerated with a 2000B fine. 

10 minutes ago, neeray said:

Where I come from, I used to rent many trucks. To rent a second one, I had to present an additional driver with a valid licence. Common sense says that I can only drive one at a time.

Thus, the same must apply to the rental shop. He knew somebody else was riding bike number two. And he probably knew that it was Ryan (with no licence). Shop skirted the law to do the rental. Shop carries major responsibility.

2,000 baht ! $70 in my home country currency. Here, the shop would face life-long financial hardship for their actions.

There you go, bringing common sense into it. It's not applicable here.

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It could be Thailand or Afghanistan, No insurance companies issue policies that cover driving/riding without a license.

Can you post a copy of this policy ?

Its ridiculous statements like yours that possibly lead to a 17 year old without a license renting a bike and thinking he is fully insured.

How do you know if all thai insurance policies are the same???? Right you don't!

And maybe they do have the rule that the driver needs to be 18 years or older??

I'm tired of answering uneducated mr know it alls...and nope i'm not gonna search for the policy, i have better things to do. I can read very well and so can my wife.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read the linked story, the victums mate, a licensed rider, rented the bike.

Where in the article does it say “victims mate rented the bike”?

All I can find is:

“First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

How do you know if all thai insurance policies are the same???? Right you don't!

And maybe they do have the rule that the driver needs to be 18 years or older??

I'm tired of answering uneducated mr know it alls...and nope i'm not gonna search for the policy, i have better things to do. I can read very well and so can my wife.

In fact most insurance policies are the same with slight variations.

no insurance company would cover no DL as it goes beyond logic and common sense .

Accirding to you, you found a policy that covers someone who is breaking the law. Simply does not exist and never did and never will

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

You can doubt what you want, my policy states that even without driverslicense it will cover the driver.

Can you give us the name of your insurance company. Then I can take out a policy with them for my underage son without a licence.

1 minute ago, BestB said:

In fact most insurance policies are the same with slight variations.

no insurance company would cover no DL as it goes beyond logic and common sense .

Accirding to you, you found a policy that covers someone who is breaking the law. Simply does not exist and never did and never will

Good for you

7 minutes ago, Suitcase said:

Where in the article does it say “victims mate rented the bike”?

All I can find is:

“First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

“The operator explained that they had rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-bike-rental-shop-fined-b2k-after-death-of-british-17-year-old-70342.php#8q7vRKogvPCEcJqY.99

Archived