BANGKOK 17 February 2019 02:25
webfact

Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“The rental shop owner was fined B2,000 last week.

and you can be sure that rental shop owner is complaining amid a waist deep pile of excuses

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, catman20 said:

the bike shop properly gone after his friend to pay for the bike now. To young to die. RIP

I guess technically they are within their rights to do that as the agreement was in his name

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I guess technically they are within their rights to do that as the agreement was in his name

i haven't read any where it says Mr, Ryan friend rented the motor bikes in his name  

Edited by catman20

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

i haven't read any where it says Mr, Ryan friend rented the motor bikes in his name  

See post #12 in this thread. Hope you can do the reading yourself.

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read the linked story, the victums mate, a licensed rider, rented the bike.

From my understanding of the report, the shop rented out two bikes to someone with one valid driving licence. The shop didn't check for licences for each person renting the bike, but the shop appear to admit it was for someone else.

Just down to money again, and the shop owner thinking they could stretch a point by renting two bikes to one person, knowing full well who the other person was - the second person must have driven away from the rental shop on the bike:

"However, Col Yossaphat also added, “The operator explained that they had rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license to rent the two bikes for himself and for 17-year-old Ryan.”

Considering the rental shop’s explanation, it was not explained exactly what the shop was fined for."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

I suppose the bike was well stuffed too. So there's that on top of 2000B.

I agree, and I really veel or the shopowner iv he is not reimbursed or the loss ov the motocy. Very, very vew tourists have a motorcycle license, let alone an IDP. As var as the boy is concerned: it' s called thinning the herd. Totally his own vault. You can' t stop stupid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Fining the rental company 2000 baht just shows how cheap life is here.

Only thing that matters is money, and getting more money.

Nah. If the bike had been defective in some way, I could see a larger fine. But that's the fine for renting to an unlicensed driver. What that driver does afterward is on the driver. I agree with the fine in this case. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes but police can stop them from trading, the police colonel said he couldnt even remember the shops name.

Now that shows how much they care about life.

Or, in my opinion, either unwilling or too lazy to check to disclose the name.

• Like 1

Is that his friend by the ambulance? With how she wears the purse, tourist-like....so did she have a license ? If not, was the shop fined? If not, the regulation is a joke as the shop was fined only b/c there is an accident to give the impression Thai gov follows their own rules.....

this business practice will continue as neither party wants to hurt the money flow....