Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

webfact

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Your insurance may be declared null and void if you:

• Ride a motorcycle without a licence that is valid. 
  • Drive a car without a licence that is valid.
  • Are a passenger in (or on) a vehicle that is being driven by an unlicenced person.
  • Are under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
  • Operate a rental vehicle in violation of the rental agreement.
  • In any circumstance, admit that you are at fault, or offer to pay any money.

Onus is squarely on the hirer, how the insurance or third party is paid out on the hire motorcycle and damage to the mini van is an ethical question that requires greater control and policing, 

No licence sorry,  no can hire ! ( dream )

Typical western style misleading info,  CTPL will take care of some of it, that's why it's compulsory.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Thats utter nonsense. My (and many other) insurance will cover driving without license...i read the whole policy.

26 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I suggest you go wash your mouth and do your homework.

This is Thailand, don't forget that small fact.

Does this mean that you have read your policy in Thai, as this is the language that prevails?

I think you are deluded! I've now read your subsequent comments. No insurance wording would actually state that you are covered without a licence.

6 minutes ago, Suitcase said:

Where in the article does it say “victims mate rented the bike”?

All I can find is:

“First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

It wasn't difficult to find:

"However, Col Yossaphat also added, “The operator explained that they had rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license to rent the two bikes for himself and for 17-year-old Ryan"

Insurance is in general a big scam anyway. First time I went to Thailand I think I was quoted £100 to insure a DSLR and some lenses for a few months. When you factor in that they generally will try and stiff you, and you will have to waste a huge amount of time writing letters, much better to save your money and just suck it up if something bad happens, most likely you'll be better off.

The obvious exception would be emergency medivacs and heart surgery which would cost a fortune, but if you hadn't been paying your premiums for decades you could pay with cash and there would be no paperwork and no hassle. And motor insurance which is usually required to be able to drive legally, although they try to worm out of paying every time too.

Get over it boys there are plenty of tourist who come here who do not care about their own safety. What are you going to do eventually there is no one else to blame other than the person riding the motorbike who didn't know what he was doing

19 minutes ago, Suitcase said:

Where in the article does it say “victims mate rented the bike”?

All I can find is:

“First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

Why would they want to see his passport? Do they work for the Immigration? How about force them to check if they can produce a TM30?

Increase the fine to 20,000 and enforce it every time a tourist is stopped and fined for not having a valid license instead of just hitting the tourist.  I am entertained when the police stop me on my bike, first I pull out my British car license, Then my Australian Car License, them my Thai Car license and eventually my Thai Bike license - their smiley little faces turn to a frown and I am waved on.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Fining the rental company 2000 baht just shows how cheap life is here.

Only thing that matters is money, and getting more money.

So given the recent heavy focus on pleasing the Chinese tourists and the Chinese government etc., I wonder what punishment there would be for the rental man if a Chinese 17 year old person rented and was killed in an accident?

19 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Does this mean that you have read your policy in Thai, as this is the language that prevails?

I think you are deluded! I've now read your subsequent comments. No insurance wording would actually state that you are covered without a licence.

Well the truth is many / most Thai insurance companies do honour the policy even when the driver was unlicensed, underage etc., even drunk.  Sounds crazy but ask around this will quickly be confirmed I assure you.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Why would they want to see his passport? Do they work for the Immigration? How about force them to check if they can produce a TM30?

I'd think they would want to be able to verify the identity of the person renting the bikes, and also perhaps for taking out insurance too.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't fancy renting out anything of mine to anyone without any ID, even if they did swear blind they were called Micky Mouse or even Enid Blyton.

26 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Unlike most posters here i have a very well educated wife who read it for me...and especially this part i let her read twice, ask the wel educated neighbours and yes they all confirmed it.

There are insurances who cover driving unlicensed according to their policies....

3 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

vehicle rental operators must ensure that tourists understand the traffic laws and know the importance of following them.

Does anyone actually understand them?

No...

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well the truth is many / most Thai insurance companies do honour the policy even when the driver was unlicensed, underage etc., even drunk.  Sounds crazy but ask around this will quickly be confirmed I assure you.

I'm not denying that. I'm fully aware that insurers do out for pay unlicensed drivers, especially on the Por Ror Bor. I'm stating that it wouldn't appear as a specific inclusion within a policy wording. In fact it could possibly be deemed against the law to accept coverage of an illegal act, though i will admit that my knowledge of Thai insurance law in not exactly extensive!

9 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Unlike most posters here i have a very well educated wife who read it for me...and especially this part i let her read twice, ask the wel educated neighbours and yes they all confirmed it.

There are insurances who cover driving unlicensed according to their policies....

If you say so.

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Your insurance may be declared null and void if you:

• Ride a motorcycle without a licence that is valid. 
  • Drive a car without a licence that is valid.
  • Are a passenger in (or on) a vehicle that is being driven by an unlicenced person.
  • Are under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs.
  • Operate a rental vehicle in violation of the rental agreement.
  • In any circumstance, admit that you are at fault, or offer to pay any money.

Onus is squarely on the hirer, how the insurance or third party is paid out on the hire motorcycle and damage to the mini van is an ethical question that requires greater control and policing, 

No licence sorry,  no can hire ! ( dream )

"without a licence that is valid. "

57 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Firstly, how do you know the education of the wives of anonymous posters?

Secondly, as you refuse to post the policy, or even the company that will insure you without a license, I recommend you stop posting as fruitman and take the handle porky pies.

All insurance companies will seek an "out" from paying. Not having a license is such an obvious (and fair) way to not pay that it's a no brainer. Your "well educated wife" married a guy who likes playing make-believe (a more polite way of calling you a liar).

Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.

Most of us are fully aware laws here are broken daily and with impunity, as the person riding the motorcycle has died how the accident occurred is purely from the van driver and the police. Although the fine was small, I suspect that trading standards will be looked at and they may well lose their licence. 

Life here is cheap sadly and that is reflected by lack of compassion and accountability, one tourist from the UK will not upset the tourist apple cart, especially when they can spin it to make the world believe it was the tourists fault. 

Now bus drivers, van drivers and even speed bhoat drivers are far more dangerous and they do little about them, do you really think for one moment they will do anything about the situation regarding this death. Sad it may be for the family but this is l;ife, the boiy should have known better, but possibly first time on his own, on a motorbike in a strange country, caution was thrown to the wind, and we have the result. RIP to the young man , sympathy to his family . 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

It could be Thailand or Afghanistan, No insurance companies issue policies that cover driving/riding without a license.

Can you post a copy of this policy ?

Its ridiculous statements like yours that possibly lead to a 17 year old without a license renting a bike and thinking he is fully insured.

Every Thai PoRoBor ninsurance covers riding a bike without license.

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

So your policy states that they will cover you when you operate a vehicle illegally???

I doubt that.

It doesn't have to. All that is required is driving it illegally not to be excluded.

Archived