Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Firstly, how do you know the education of the wives of anonymous posters?

Secondly, as you refuse to post the policy, or even the company that will insure you without a license, I recommend you stop posting as fruitman and take the handle porky pies.

All insurance companies will seek an "out" from paying. Not having a license is such an obvious (and fair) way to not pay that it's a no brainer. Your "well educated wife" married a guy who likes playing make-believe (a more polite way of calling you a liar).

Prove me wrong and I'll apologize.

Totally incorrect regarding Thai insurance policies.

They will pay.

4 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Please post a policy, then, I'll believe it.

Don't know if you have noticed, but a few people on here who have been involved in insurance back home have posted this information. Now you can ignore that and stick to your own incorrect believes, or trust the people who know what they're talking about.

Posting a policy that says 'we will pay even if unlicensed or under influence' is not possible, but as long as it is not excluded it is covered. See PoRoBor.

Plus as mentioned by others, even regular Thai policies will quite often pay be for unlicensed or under the influence people, even if officially excluded.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Don't know if you have noticed, but a few people on here who have been involved in insurance back home have posted this information. Now you can ignore that and stick to your own incorrect believes, or trust the people who know what they're talking about.

I trust proof. You stated that Thai insurance will pay if the individual doesn't have a license.

Show the proof.

Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

I trust proof. You stated that Thai insurance will pay if the individual doesn't have a license.

Show the proof.

If not excluded it has to and will pay. Impossible to proof as you request.

Why is it that ,as  far as I have  read in the posts, that nobody has  suggested  the culpability of the "friend" who hired two bikes with the intent to let a 17 year old unlicenced and presumably inexperienced loose on Thai streets on one of them?

The  Rental shop did make a mistake but who is to know that the actual hirer insisted to them the other person was licenced.

A fatal combination of irresponsibility all round.

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The  debate  bout Thai Insurance Policies seems a bit pointless considering the victim in this topic was a teenage British tourist who would be unlikely to have a Thai  Insurance policy versus a Travel Insurance Policy which in these  times mostly deny coverage on  riding a motorcycle at all.

PoRoPor insurance would be applicable. Limited cover, but cover nonetheless.

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Who is to blame ? The rogue unscruplous vehicle rental crooks of Thailand or the stupid, mindless tourists, who loose all common sense when in Thailand ?

In this case, the deceased can not be held liable because he was a minor and not legally allowed to enter into a rental contract. 

This then brings us to the  more important issue; The sanction. The agency  didn't just rent to an unlicensed individual, it rented to a minor. In the developed world, there would be manslaughter charges filed.

Perhaps, the deceased's elderly 'friend' might have rented the  motorbike on his behalf. However, as that man is not charged, it seems that the   rental agency really did rent to the  minor. Overall, another disgusting display of greed.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Fining the rental company 2000 baht just shows how cheap life is here.

Only thing that matters is money, and getting more money.

Don't rent a bike without complying with the law. Works both ways. Just another pop at Thailand from you for a change.

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Who is to blame ? The rogue unscruplous vehicle rental crooks of Thailand or the stupid, mindless tourists, who loose all common sense when in Thailand ?

Or the mindless minivan driver that speeds way in excess of limits, pass abs then cut in front you carelessly. 

Watch the video.

The bike rider  was behaving with the abandoned elation of many who arrive in Phuket for their dream holiday and drive like idiots because they see they can.

He drove straight into the minivan .

Now half the TV 'post accident investigation experts' want someone to hang out to dry.

And they're pretty much the same crew who happily left their former countries , calling them 'nanny states'.

Yet they want a 'nanny state' in Thailand - wherein somebody ( as long as it isnt themselves ) can always be blamed .

And when that does happen ,  the punishment to is NEVER enough !

They want entire families to lose the bread winner  to incarceration - and then have their hands out in order to survive , just like happens  in their previous nanny state!

The rental shop has lost 40k on the scooter already.

A months living for many a TV 'expert'.

The punishment is built in in this scenario.

5 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Watch the video.

The bike rider  was behaving with the abandoned elation of many who arrive in Phuket for their dream holiday and drive like idiots because they see they can.

Now half the TV 'post accident investigation experts' want someone to hang out to dry.

And they're pretty much the same crew who happily left their former countries , calling them 'nanny states'.

Yet they want a 'nanny state' in Thailand - wherein somebody ( as long as it isnt themselves ) can always be blamed .

They want entire families to lose the bread winner  to incarceration - and then have their hands out in order to survive , just like happens  in their previous nanny state!

Have I missed something obvious here - what video is this - or any link?

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Sorry, but the renter knew he had no licence, he knew the score, a tough lesson but nothing really beneficial is going to come from fining the rental company 2000 baht or 2,000,000 baht, it isn't going to fix anything. The renter was not a child, he was of the legal age to drive in the uk. About time people started to take responsibility for their behaviour! When they make the rental company responsible for policing foreign renters driving licenses, will it or should it stop there? What about a health check or maybe a sight test ? at the end of the day you have to take some responsibility for your self. I know this will come as a huge shock to members of the UK's snowflake generation, where Mother State takes care of their every need from the tit to the grave.

It’s not only the UK its the same in Australia the nanny state, when something goes wrong find someone else to blame, but under no circumstances accept responsibility, and of course expect someone else to pay the bill.

Just one of the reasons I choose no longer to live there.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read the linked story, the victums mate, a licensed rider, rented the bike.

However, Col Yossaphat also added, “The operator explained that they had rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license to rent the two bikes for himself and for 17-year-old Ryan.”
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-bike-rental-shop-fined-b2k-after-death-of-british-17-year-old-70342.php#ae6bWtBFhoK0x4Y8.99

22 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Watch the video.

Totally agree with your comments, yes one of the reasons I left Australia was because it had become a nanny state and was sick of working my backside off to support others who have never and will never work.

But no I dont want a nanny state here let individuals accept responsibility for their own actions tourists or others.

Well what can I say 2000 baht ? will that deter them from renting out another one to an Unlicensed , Inexperienced , would be driver ? I do not think so and there would be no Insurance given as well TiT. Will Tourists ever Learn ? 

Archived