BANGKOK 21 February 2019 14:53
webfact

Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

10 minutes ago, neeray said:

Where I come from, I used to rent many trucks. To rent a second one, I had to present an additional driver with a valid licence. Common sense says that I can only drive one at a time.

Thus, the same must apply to the rental shop. He knew somebody else was riding bike number two. And he probably knew that it was Ryan (with no licence). Shop skirted the law to do the rental. Shop carries major responsibility.

2,000 baht ! $70 in my home country currency. Here, the shop would face life-long financial hardship for their actions.

There you go, bringing common sense into it. It's not applicable here.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Thats utter nonsense. My (and many other) insurance will cover driving without license...i read the whole policy.

So your policy states that they will cover you when you operate a vehicle illegally???

I doubt that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It could be Thailand or Afghanistan, No insurance companies issue policies that cover driving/riding without a license.

Can you post a copy of this policy ?

Its ridiculous statements like yours that possibly lead to a 17 year old without a license renting a bike and thinking he is fully insured.

How do you know if all thai insurance policies are the same???? Right you don't!

And maybe they do have the rule that the driver needs to be 18 years or older??

I'm tired of answering uneducated mr know it alls...and nope i'm not gonna search for the policy, i have better things to do. I can read very well and so can my wife.

13 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Read the linked story: 

~o:37;

Which law requires rental shop to see passport?

• Like 1

Just now, whaleboneman said:

So your policy states that they will cover you when you operate a vehicle illegally???

I doubt that.

You can doubt what you want, my policy states that even without driverslicense it will cover the driver.

What a shame. No license? 

Yesterday I saw a motorbike with two kids of my neighborhood. Age 9+10. Who cares about a license here? Nobody cares about anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read the linked story, the victums mate, a licensed rider, rented the bike.

Where in the article does it say “victims mate rented the bike”?

All I can find is:

“First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

How do you know if all thai insurance policies are the same???? Right you don't!

And maybe they do have the rule that the driver needs to be 18 years or older??

I'm tired of answering uneducated mr know it alls...and nope i'm not gonna search for the policy, i have better things to do. I can read very well and so can my wife.

In fact most insurance policies are the same with slight variations.

no insurance company would cover no DL as it goes beyond logic and common sense .

Accirding to you, you found a policy that covers someone who is breaking the law. Simply does not exist and never did and never will

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

You can doubt what you want, my policy states that even without driverslicense it will cover the driver.

Can you give us the name of your insurance company. Then I can take out a policy with them for my underage son without a licence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. His friend who rented both bikes, presumably because they knew the 17 year old didn't have a license, let him ride.

2. The kid died because of his own actions.

3. People die everyday, everywhere through their own stupidity. That's life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BestB said:

In fact most insurance policies are the same with slight variations.

no insurance company would cover no DL as it goes beyond logic and common sense .

Accirding to you, you found a policy that covers someone who is breaking the law. Simply does not exist and never did and never will

Good for you

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Aw shucks...you’re just making stuff up now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Can you give us the name of your insurance company. Then I can take out a policy with them for my underage son without a licence.

He cannot.

7 minutes ago, Suitcase said:

Where in the article does it say “victims mate rented the bike”?

All I can find is:

“First, the shop rented out the motorbikes after having only seen a driving licence and no passport. Both documents should be a requirement for renting a vehicle,” Capt Eakkachai insisted.

“The operator explained that they had rented the motorbikes to a second man who was older and presented a valid driving license
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-bike-rental-shop-fined-b2k-after-death-of-british-17-year-old-70342.php#8q7vRKogvPCEcJqY.99