Death of 17-year-old British tourist: Patong bike rental shop fined Bt2000

webfact

13 hours ago, UglyBug said:

Well what can I say 2000 baht ? will that deter them from renting out another one to an Unlicensed , Inexperienced , would be driver ? I do not think so and there would be no Insurance given as well TiT. Will Tourists ever Learn ? 

That is the most poignant part of the whole thread.

Insurance is of very little use to you if you are dead, maybe pay to take your body 'home'. Thats about it.

The young fellow made a mistake that cost him his life,

No amount of Thai bashing will change that.

It appears it was all his own fault. That is life and I can only say....for the grace etc etc...I'm lucky...considering some of the shit I did on motorbikes in the past.

How about some thoughts for the other people there...the van driver will never be the same again regardless of the bar stool nonsense life is cheap that is common on this site.

A traumatic event affects everybody in many individual ways. Some people can tough it out in the short term, some can't. But it affects everyone...we are all human. Look at the amount of PTSD guys and girls from recent wars for example. All as tough as anything until the subconscious kicks in over time.

Talk to a train driver who ran a person over on the tracks...talk to a cop, fireman, emergency responder who has had to attend some horrific scenes and deal with it ...they all often end up damaged in some way.

RIP young fella...hope your mate comes to terms with the part he played in your death.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Fining the rental company 2000 baht just shows how cheap life is here.

Only thing that matters is money, and getting more money.

They were fined for renting out a motorbike without the person having a licence .

They were not fined for the consequences of the guy riding the motorbike 

15 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

They rent the bike to any farang license or no license.he died maybe he could not ride a scooter.anyway he was killed.minor fine to the operator and the bike probably insured

No, these bikes are not insured.

I presume with 'farang' you mean 'foreigner'? The main market for the bike shops these days are the Chinese.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

You mean like many high school kids are doing in Europe?

Europe is a nanny state , you have to seek permission before you can let out a fart. SEA is a totally different ball game , no one good your hand or cares what you do no matter how stupid it is 

On 2/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, sanemax said:

They were fined for renting out a motorbike without the person having a licence .

They were not fined for the consequences of the guy riding the motorbike 

Balo please note above

Now who did you say was 'Wrong'?

The kid had no valid licence, the older guy showed a licence and hired the two bikes - read the full article, as I said most kids of 17 from the UK do not bother taking their bike test as they can ride on L-Plates (on a Provisional Licence) Not valid here in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, observer90210 said:

Who is to blame ? The rogue unscruplous vehicle rental crooks of Thailand or the stupid, mindless tourists, who loose all common sense when in Thailand ?

Second.
Who doesn't agree, please go to Pai and watch .

On 2/11/2019 at 9:23 AM, observer90210 said:

Who is to blame ? The rogue unscruplous vehicle rental crooks of Thailand or the stupid, mindless tourists, who loose all common sense when in Thailand ?

Why should anyone have to hire a motorbike to get around in a so called World Class Tourist Destination, no matter what age?

Phuket's transportation problems are bigger than vehicle rental shops and mindless tourists.   

Archived