BANGKOK 18 February 2019 13:46
thaicurious

Thai Translation Apps -- Google Translator Camera

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! Only problem I found is that it appears you need to have internet access for the Google camera translator to work? - unlike the Google text translator which works offline after you’ve downloaded required database/s.

• Like 1

Going to give this a try. I was at villa looking at some dry sauce mix packets but couldn't read the directions. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

It does work pretty well, it works even better in western languages. I tried it with a Portugese coffee label, it was as if the label was printed in English. I was shown it by one of the girls in the office, had to look at the label again to be sure I hadn't missed the English side 🙂

If that's the seamless one where you don't "snap" picture but just point and there it is on the screen, yeah, that's excellent technology. You could easily imagine not so far off future this tech going into glasses or contact lenses or eventually wired directly into brains as we again ascend the Tower of Babel. Hi God, remember us, we're baaaack.

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! Only problem I found is that it appears you need to have internet access for the Google camera translator to work? - unlike the Google text translator which works offline after you’ve downloaded required database/s.

Hi and you're welcome. Had I given that a thought--and it's a good point--I'd have thought it offline but now that you mention I realized I don't know. So I just did a test. Switched phone to internet connect, pulled plug on router. Problem: clever phone found a neighbor with unsecured internet lol. For a minute there I couldn't figure out why I was still online. Not sure what I have to reset to get it to not find service but if no one else can answer that for you or if you don't find out yourself I'll give it another try another time.

30 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Going to give this a try. I was at villa looking at some dry sauce mix packets but couldn't read the directions. 

Thanks 

Yer welcome. I was thinking would be good for cans, ingredients, shopping, all kinds of stuff. But also I checked out a pdf file someone had posted on another thread of a police order and this thing translated a few paragraphs at a time (you just select "all" or whatever was the option), maybe not perfectly but well enough to give me a good idea of what was written in Thai.

I'd been watching for this development for a while and apparently my app upgraded during its regular routine. So a few weeks back I checked again out of curiosity and sure enough, there it was. Thank you google.

• Like 1

I am sure it is helpful for some things, but... in conversation, the 2 languages do not translate too well. 

Phrases like "put on" and "pick-up" would be difficult and need context... whatever good you get from it is great but be aware that some of the translations might not come out correctly or comprehensible... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

I have just downloaded the app onto my iPad and on selecting the camera option the first thing it did was to suggest downloading a file to enable offline translation by camera. Two files available, basic vocabulary in a small file and a bigger (49MB ?) expanded vocabulary file.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1

Sounds ace. Hope it works with those fonts used in some signage - often can’t make head or tail of them.

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

same comment here, if they can offer it as offline it would be a game changer

• Like 1

Just loaded app.  Checked settings.  Tried on sample Thai text but keep getting message "Service inaccesable please try later (Error 8010).... Any ideas please ?

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

did you visited the link I post for a live conversation translator, I think they have the same problem with on line/off line issues but the difference being able to keep face to face conversation, take a look at the post on mobile devices

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I am sure it is helpful for some things, but... in conversation, the 2 languages do not translate too well. 

Phrases like "put on" and "pick-up" would be difficult and need context... whatever good you get from it is great but be aware that some of the translations might not come out correctly or comprehensible... 

I sometimes have similar problems just going from English to English. But I think Crossy's comment above on menu humor applies to conversation too, especially as the other person will know you're using a device and I'd think people will allow for if not laugh off minor or temporary misunderstandings.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

I have just downloaded the app onto my iPad and on selecting the camera option the first thing it did was to suggest downloading a file to enable offline translation by camera. Two files available, basic vocabulary in a small file and a bigger (49MB ?) expanded vocabulary file.

Excellent info. Thanx for adding that. I bolded for emphasis so others see it.

2 hours ago, Mukdahanman said:

Sounds ace. Hope it works with those fonts used in some signage - often can’t make head or tail of them.

The first I tried it was sitting at computer so just translated some images of signage I pulled up and it seemed to read that. In fact. The first was quite funny. Some arrogant youtuber aiming at signage outside a building he was headed into as if it might have meant something to him. Turns out they were advertising for cleaning help and a gardener. lol

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Just loaded app.  Checked settings.  Tried on sample Thai text but keep getting message "Service inaccesable please try later (Error 8010).... Any ideas please ?

I'm not a computer person but just googled error 8010 so from my quick perusal of that it could even be an operating system issue. You should google it, read about it as best you can and maybe get advice from someone who knows about that stuff.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

same comment here, if they can offer it as offline it would be a game changer

See MikeN's comment above yours.

1 minute ago, thaicurious said:

See MikeN's comment above yours.

ok thanks, completely missed it but he indicates IPad and (for whatever reasons) don't use any of apple's products, do you know if it works with android

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

what's the file name, do you know if it's at google play store for android